• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

New Regal GS owner here - Couple ?'s

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
20 Regal GS, 12 Regal GS (past)
Hey all so I just picked up a lightly used 2020 Regal GS (6.5k miles). With the limited inventory in the used market these days and new GS's no longer available, I decided to settle for the closest I could get in my preferred color of white. The only missing option is the all important Appearance Package unfortunately.

My question is:
I have the ability to buy a set of the OEM LED headlights and housings, are they just plug and play replacements for the halogen units (housing and all)? Or is it not that easy? I'm guessing there is also a module somewhere (and programming) for the leveling feature. I thought I'd be able to live with the halogens but its really bugging me.

Second, I noticed my vehicle has the wrong shifer knob installed. The GS should have a red "GS" on the knob, mine is just the std black knob. I'm guessing that since mine may have been one of the last units built for the US (11/19 build), they may have run out of the correct parts at the plant and someone said "screw it, use the regular shifter". Do you think I can get this replaced as a warranty item? Its fine as-is but it bugs me that its wrong....

123_1-6.jpeg

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Congrats on the new ride! The appearance package is definitely a must but I understand how alluring the tricoat white can be...

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has successfully swapped out the halogen assemblies for the LED assemblies. There's a thread on here regarding LED bulbs in the halogen housings if that's something you're interested in.

As for the shifter knob, all you can do is touch base with the dealership and hope for the best. They may take care of it since it's not built correctly. It's also possible the piece was damaged and replaced by a dealership that didn't know there was a specific "GS" trim piece.

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
Thanks, I went back and searched old threads and yeah I found plenty regarding replacement LED's. Looks like I have a lot to learn about all the options. I'm a little worried about replacing the stocks and winding up with something worse bc of a hack install job. I see you're in Metro Detroit also, I'm nearby in Plymouth. Got any recommendations where to look into getting replacements installed?

Looking through old threads, these guys look pretty good

For a GS, would you purchase a set of these and another set of the cheaper hi-beams to double them up?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
This is an area that I have not researched whatsoever. My Regal has the LED headlights so it was never anything I paid much attention to. I haven't been in the Metro area long enough to point you to a reputable shop, but I know there are a few other members in the area too.

We already have a few scattered LED headlight threads, but these are some that might interest you:
LED Projector Retrofit in OEM Halogen Headlights - In this thread, the OP mentions places to find retrofitters
Chinese LED housing direct plug and play swap
Trying to add Led headlights bulbs

If you want to start simple, here's a video on how to replace the bulbs with LEDs. Swapping the bulbs may provide the output you're looking for without all the fuss of retrofitting.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I installed LEDs in my halogen housings after watching several videos over at Headlight Revolutions and their logic makes perfect sense. They say its crucial that LED emitters be oriented in the same way as halogen elements in order to get proper beam pattern from the reflector housings. Replacement LED bulbs with more chips do not make them better. I went with their SV4 line (similar to the Morimotos) and I am very happy with the results. It was a bit pricey for headlights and fogs (came to about $340 total) but changing out entire housings would easily have been as costly.

Congrats on the new ride!

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
I installed LEDs in my halogen housings after watching several videos over at Headlight Revolutions and their logic makes perfect sense. They say its crucial that LED emitters be oriented in the same way as halogen elements in order to get proper beam pattern from the reflector housings. Replacement LED bulbs with more chips do not make them better. I went with their SV4 line (similar to the Morimotos) and I am very happy with the results. It was a bit pricey for headlights and fogs (came to about $340 total) but changing out entire housings would easily have been as costly.

Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks I will check the SV4's out. Got a picture to share of them installed?

Its really unfortunate the GS doesn't have the LED's standard. My last 3 cars all had them (2 Cadillacs and a Chevy) and they really make a difference IMO. Considering they were only a $495 option along with the wireless charger why not just include them as part of some of the other packages? I wonder if anyone actively tries to avoid them?

Anyways, fresh outta the tint shop I have it all cleaned up now. This is 35% tint, kinda dark but not too much so. I'll have to post pics in the other Regal pictures thread also.
29B79F4B-3306-4EA1-B0C3-A8888785746F_1_201_a.jpeg
F6C54B6E-CC6C-45F0-ABF5-3BAFC79A0737_1_201_a.jpeg
02534770-C941-41BC-BECD-461DA4969FD7_1_201_a.jpeg

jeffcam1211

Buick Ownership
This is an area that I have not researched whatsoever. My Regal has the LED headlights so it was never anything I paid much attention to. I haven't been in the Metro area long enough to point you to a reputable shop, but I know there are a few other members in the area too.

We already have a few scattered LED headlight threads, but these are some that might interest you:
LED Projector Retrofit in OEM Halogen Headlights - In this thread, the OP mentions places to find retrofitters
Chinese LED housing direct plug and play swap
Trying to add Led headlights bulbs

If you want to start simple, here's a video on how to replace the bulbs with LEDs. Swapping the bulbs may provide the output you're looking for without all the fuss of retrofitting.
Thanks a bunch for the video!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!