New Regal owner here, any tips?

aRegalman

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal Turbo Premium II
Hello all. I've purchased my first Buick at the ripe old age of 23. I bought out the lease of my co-workers 2014 Regal Turbo Premium II. Its been taken care of in an immaculate fashion and is a huge step up from my first car, a 2009 Ford Focus that was in rough shape. Does anyone have any advice on anything at all? Any good accessories? Preferred oil type? Noticed anything that's good to do preventative maintenance wise? Is a K&N filter worth it for 4x the cost? Does it really need premium gas? Also, do the side mirrors not dim at night?
Thank you.

Attachments

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Congrats on your first Buick and welcome to the forum.
Your generation Regal (2011-2017) is a superb handling car. I assume yours is FWD which is what I prefer since I don't live in a mountainous region.

If you have a heavy foot, stick with 91 octane.
If you drive normally, you can use 87 octane without worry.

You can modify your car a little with aftermarket air intake, exhaust and a tune. However your car is plenty peppy in Factory form.

When it comes to motor oil, the best of the best (in my opinion) is Amsoil European Car Formula 5w30, and my second choice is Amsoil Signature Series 5w30. My choice for oil filter is Amsoil EA15K50, or Mobil 1 or K&N.
K&N HP-1017 is always nice because it has a hexagon on the head for a wrench or socket.

If you're gonna take your car to the dragstrip or tow trailer or road racing or just plain heavy footed driving, in my opinion it's prudent to change the transmission fluid and replace it with Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF.
This ATF is specifically made for transmissions that take a beating on a regular basis. If you drive normally you can use amsoil OE fuel efficient atf, which is still better than the factory atf.

lwebb892

Buick Ownership
2013 Regal Premium II
Be prepared to spend a lot of money on repairs! If you are lucky you can do them yourself! It's a great looking car and fun to drive when everything is actually working properly. I have blown an injector, replaced the high pressure fuel pump, VVT sensors, all 4 wheel hub assemblies along with a few other sensors that I can't recall the name of. These cars are honestly super terrible. The motors are junk and the transmissions are junk. Hopefully you don't like to drive hard and fast. Maybe if you baby it, it will last you. I had a friend that bought a brand new one off the lot and the trans blew before 16000 miles. No good, no good at all.

aRegalman

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal Turbo Premium II
Be prepared to spend a lot of money on repairs! If you are lucky you can do them yourself! It's a great looking car and fun to drive when everything is actually working properly. I have blown an injector, replaced the high pressure fuel pump, VVT sensors, all 4 wheel hub assemblies along with a few other sensors that I can't recall the name of. These cars are honestly super terrible. The motors are junk and the transmissions are junk. Hopefully you don't like to drive hard and fast. Maybe if you baby it, it will last you. I had a friend that bought a brand new one off the lot and the trans blew before 16000 miles. No good, no good at all.
Sounds like you got a lemon. Every review and car rating agency from JD Power, Car & Driver, etc. Rate it anywhere from 8 to 9 out of 10 in terms of reliability and cost to own. Mines at 92,000 km and it hasn’t had a thing go wrong with it and doesn’t show signs that that’s about to change.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
The clearance under the front bumper is much lower than other cars I have owned. Perhaps I should have realized this, but I did not until I put it on top of one of the concrete blocks at the head end of a parking space, and then damaged my front bumper when I backed out of the parking space.

Take a careful look at your front headlight assemblies. Many have had problems where moisture gets in. Some of the units use ballast at the bottom, which eventually gets damaged, and replacing a headlight assembly is expensive. So if you see any moisture inside the assembly ever, I would not wait until the light stops working. I would instead suggest you dry it out (perhaps remove the removable plastic cap on the back of the assembly, which allows access to change a bulb), then remove the assembly, and apply sealant along all seams, and then reinstall it. Be aware that you will need to partially remove or loosen the front bumper on one side, in order to remove the headlight assembly on that side.

Super LaX

Columbus, NJ
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
Congrats on the new ride! I like that color a lot!

These cars when well-maintained will give you many miles of motoring pleasure. It's a premium car with nice features that you won't find on some of it's competitors. Decent acceleration, roomy and comfortable and knock-out looks.

It will scoot and merge pretty good when prodded and will still pull down some good mileage on longer trips. I run the highest octane I can find (93 Sunoco Ultra) just for piece of mind. That horse has been beaten to death.

I use Mobil 1 5W30 exclusively with PF64 oil filters from day one.

Enjoy the ride!

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
I owned a 2014 Crystal Red GS before this 18 GS. The 14 was a GREAT car. Even being such a dependable vehicle, ANYTHING can happen to ANY vehicle. You just gotta roll with the punches. As far as oil and gas go, I always used mobil1 full syn extended performance and use 91 octane fuel...usually from Exxon or Mobil. the same goes for my 18 GS. I'm just a mobil guy. Preventative maintenance is necessary for all vehicles. I cringe when I get customers who say "all ive ever done is change the oil in this car and its never failed me". All I can say is, I'm glad its not my car. If you love your car, maintain it. If not, just do the oil changes and see how far it gets you.

Super LaX

Columbus, NJ
Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS
I do 3000 miles with conventional oil in my other vehicles and 6000 in my GS with Mobil 1.

Mobil 1 still has the $12 rebate on 5qt jugs until September 30th. Grab 'em while you can,

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If you redline your car 20+ times a day, then a 3,000 mile oil change is not a bad idea.
When oil life monitor reads 50%, the oil in my 2018 Regal is pure black and I change it.
At 17,000 miles I did the 4th oil change.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've had my issues here and there with the car so far since getting it in January, but that doesn't take away what a fun car it's been so far. Luckily I had the leftover bumper to bumper warranty to cover it. I change my oil every 3,000 on the dot and it's black. I stick with Mobile 1 full synthetic. It's under 30 bucks so who cares. I also typically use all AC Delco parts when replacing things (oil filter included).

napacruzergs

Napa, CA
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
The clearance under the front bumper is much lower than other cars I have owned. Perhaps I should have realized this, but I did not until I put it on top of one of the concrete blocks at the head end of a parking space, and then damaged my front bumper when I backed out of the parking space.
Yes watch out for the front bumper "cover". Easy to rip when you over-ride a curb then back out. Super glue can be an easy and cheap fix but will not last if you keep on over-riding curbs.

pstambau

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello all. I've purchased my first Buick at the ripe old age of 23. I bought out the lease of my co-workers 2014 Regal Turbo Premium II. Its been taken care of in an immaculate fashion and is a huge step up from my first car, a 2009 Ford Focus that was in rough shape. Does anyone have any advice on anything at all? Any good accessories? Preferred oil type? Noticed anything that's good to do preventative maintenance wise? Is a K&N filter worth it for 4x the cost? Does it really need premium gas? Also, do the side mirrors not dim at night?
Thank you.
1 - DO NOT use cheap gas!! Use ONLY top tier, PREMIUM fuel (I tend to mostly use Shell, Sunoco, BP).
2 - DO NOT use a K&N filter! YOU will not see any gains to speak of AND the oil used on the filter can get out and ruin the MAF, MAP, or any other down stream sensors.