• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New regal owner who meeds some help

fehler18

Buick Ownership
12 Regal gs
Hey everybody, i recently purchased a 12 regal gs 6 spd. Did some reading on this forum (kinda makes me wish i didnt get one but too late now) and the car already has some mods on i. Just kinda wondering if the mods are good or not. Mods i know it has is a zzp intake. 4h short throw shifter, intercooler piping/ intercooler and boots look aftermarket, brembo front calipers, exhaust has mufflers welded on that dont look stock (no names or anything). Car has a boost guage and pegs around 25psi which makes me assume it has a tune? Im used to diesels and 25 psi seems way to high on this car is thats even accurate?? Kinda looking for help on if current mods are worth keeping and how to tell if car has other mods (turbo, downpipe, pcm, tune etc) thanks in advance. Sorry if this is a super common question!

ROMAD

Buick Newbie
Maumee, OH
Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS MR6
Not being completely familiar with the 2012's, I do know quite a bit about ZZP. I used them pretty much exclusively for my Cobalt SS build and they make good stuff (better than stock anyway). I can only assume with that list of parts, the previous owner had one of ZZP's "stage" kits installed. A tune is part of that.

The best way to find out for certain, would be to contact ZZP. They've always been very helpful whenever I've had questions. It's possible that if you give them your VIN, they might even have a record of the tune. Any tune they do, should have a list of accompanying mods as well.

All that being said, whenever you buy someone's modded car, it's a crapshoot as to whether they installed it with bubblegum and twine, or if they used a professional. Or at least, if they DIY it, they follow the manuals, torque specs, etc. Even then, it's sometimes hard to trust.

fehler18

Buick Ownership
12 Regal gs
Contacted zzp and they can only look it up by owners name which i dont have. Cars has been throwing p172 and p299 codes and loosing all boost pressure since i brought it home. Car is currently at the dealer but i have little faith they will repair it. Could either of those codes be related to a tune if it has one?

JONNYESS

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
I hope things work out for you, but there's probably a lesson to be learned here about buying a used vehicle already modded out....{queue air-raid sirens in my head} :)

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Contacted zzp and they can only look it up by owners name which i dont have. Cars has been throwing p172 and p299 codes and loosing all boost pressure since i brought it home. Car is currently at the dealer but i have little faith they will repair it. Could either of those codes be related to a tune if it has one?
Yes and no. The tune shouldn’t cause the codes but it could lead to a driving style that causes premature failure of certain components if that makes sense. What’s your mileage? And is the dealership where you purchased the car from?

fehler18

Buick Ownership
12 Regal gs
I hope things work out for you, but there's probably a lesson to be learned here about buying a used vehicle already modded out....{queue air-raid sirens in my head} :)
I knew the risk when i bought it. Not a problem to fix myself just want to narrow it down before throwing parts.

fehler18

Buick Ownership
12 Regal gs
Yes and no. The tune shouldn’t cause the codes but it could lead to a driving style that causes premature failure of certain components if that makes sense. What’s your mileage? And is the dealership where you purchased the car from?
61,xxx and i dont plan on driving the car hard, but that bwing said i dont know how it was previously driven either.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Try cleaning the mass airflow sensor. It's possible the previous owner installed a K&N air filter and the oil from it contaminated the MAF.

fastNYsix

Buick Ownership
1985 Regal Limited 6.0, 1987 GN, 2011 Regal T
The stock intercooler sits behind the condenser, vs zzp sits in front of it. The stock turbo outlet uses a two bolt flange that the charge pipe flange attaches to with an o ring. The z54 or zfr turbo that zzp sells uses a normal silicone or rubber coupling. 25 psi is normal for either of the upgraded turbos.

Pedal Commander