New tires coming up - How should you rotate them? I'd like to see it in the tire's literature or specs.

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse CX, (2008, 3800 Series III V6 ); previously: Regal Custom coupe (1992, 3800 Series I V6)
Shortly, I will be getting new tires from the warehouse club I belong to. I am looking to get the Michelin Defender or equivalent.

Since I started driving when you went "front to back" on the same side of the car when rotating, that's what I've done ever since.

About 10 years ago, warehouse tire store folks were a little resistant to do this, but did it upon request. Lately, they have not been resistant and just do it.

I'm for anything that extends the service life of the tires ... as long as it's written down and I can see it. There is a term that has the stem "-directional" in it that describes if the tire can roll in both directions. That's what you would get if you (1) brought the fronts to the rear, and (2) brought the rears to the front AND switched sides like the warehouse stores prefer doing.

What do you think about rotating new Michelin (and Bridgestone) tires in this manner? Have you done it and does it extend the service life of the tires? Most importantly, where can I find that this technical term (that it can roll in both directions) applies to a specific tire on the market ... I want to see it in the specs.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Unless you select unidirectional tires, it's molded into the sidewall, and the car didnt originally come with them you rotate based on what your owners manual tells you. The tire manufacturer cannt tell you the rotation pattern for every car, too many variables such as staggered sizes.
2017 owners manual shows front tires going straight back and rears crisscross to front.

Last edited:

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse CX, (2008, 3800 Series III V6 ); previously: Regal Custom coupe (1992, 3800 Series I V6)
Unless you select unidirectional tires, it's molded into the sidewall, and the car didnt originally come with them you rotate based on what your owners manual tells you. The tire manufacturer cannt tell you the rotation pattern for every car, too many variables such as staggered sizes.
2017 owners manual shows front tires going straight back and rears crisscross to front.
Ok, the words I was looking for are then "unidirectional" ... and simply "not directional."

I looked up "Michelin Defender and unidirectional" and, mostly, it says "not directional." I will also look at my sidewall. And my owner's manual.

For having done only front to back rotations, I can't complain about right around 70,000 miles of service.

If it all checks out, I will follow the rotation pattern shown in bold on your post on my next set of tires. Thanks.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

EDSELRANGER

PORTHOLE FAN
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just my 2 cent's worth here and no official answer to your questions...

Like you, I've always rotated my tires from front to back, same side only. I put a set of Michelins on my 2015 LaCrosse in April 2019. They (Michelin) and the shop that installed the tires recommend a 'Forward Cross' rotation as MelsRegal describes in the last line of his response. This method (I'm told) will keep all four tires wearing as equally and evenly as possible.

I'm old, stubborn and resistant to change! I rotate my own tires in the driveway. For those reasons I've opted to keep rotating front to back, same side only. 4 rotation cycles so far and about 30,000 miles total. Coming up on the fifth rotation and all four tires seem to be wearing just fine.

I personally don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Just because you can swap sides (and tire direction) doesn't mean you have to.

Last edited:

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
DIY here as well, I do one side at a time so they get swapped front to back and vice versa. In the grand scheme of things I don't think it will make any difference...

Globetrot1

Buick Ownership
I read my driver's manual. It diagrammed "front to rear, and rears crossed to the front." My car was delivered with initially impressive looking Goodyear Integrity tires that I rotated every 6.000 miles (same side back then), but only lasted about 45,000 miles ... some integrity all right.

I looked at my sidewall yesterday. I couldn't find anything. There is a lot of fine print on tires.

I think I may have the rears crossed when moved up front going forward for the next set. I won't argue with an extra 5,000 miles of longevity.