• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New to me and wondering if brakes need attention...

Suthrn

Buick Ownership
2005 LeSabre Limited
I just purchased a 2005 LeSabre Limited with 154k miles for my daughter (this car seems to be in great shape!) and was wondering if the brakes need attention or if this is just normal for the car? The pedal feels solid and consistent with no pulsing or brake squeal, but the stop seems to be long and smooth (longer than expected) without any real "grab" to them. Is this normal for this car? It's 4 wheel disk so I'd think there should be some good "grab" at some point... I just bought it yesterday so I've yet to pull a tire and check things out, but my first thought is maybe the rotors need turned or the pads may have glazed over. What say you?

Thanks!
Tom

Suthrn

Buick Ownership
2005 LeSabre Limited
After a good 80 mile jaunt taking the daughter to school and returning home, it seems to me that the brakes are fine and it's just that I'm not used to ceramic pads. The pedal initially felt so firm it felt like there was no more to give, but pressing harder did provide faster braking. (y)

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How did you determine they are ceramic pads?
The harder the pad the more likely you will need rotors the next time the pads are worn.

Suthrn

Buick Ownership
2005 LeSabre Limited
How did you determine they are ceramic pads?
The harder the pad the more likely you will need rotors the next time the pads are worn.
...with summation and extremely limited experience... :laugh:
I'm 51 and the only experience I've had with ceramics is yeeeears ago when I tried them on a small Nissan truck to minimize brake dust and then immediately replaced them because I didn't like the feel or emergency stopping power (which is the same as on this car). ...and from my limited reading on here where I'm seeing a lot of "ceramic" posts in regards to accepted/standard pads. I'm personally a truck guy and like Hawk pads but understand different pads for different applications... Got a recommendation?

Pedal Commander