New TourX Owner

Motormouth

Philadelphia, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I Just bought a new 2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence in ebony twilight and am very excited about it.

I think I am squarely the target market for this car: mid 30s, family, urban living, cyclist, camper, skiier. I think they nailed it bringing over a euro wagon and understand why its the psuedo-offroad country tourer version (americans expect all cars to be suitable for zombie apocalypse).

It is optioned with:
-sights and sounds
-driver confidence I
-moonroof

I am coming to the brand and model from a 2011 Cadillac Sportwagon 3.6l AWD, fully optioned (performance II suspension, heated/cooled, moonroof, backup camera, nav, extra leather, etc). We LOVED this car and considered it family. I bought it originally for my fiancee when we found out she was pregnant and it’s been through it all with us. It was very hard to decide to trade it in, but it had over 80k miles, couldn’t find another one for sale w/ low enough miles and I am risk adverse so it was a sweet spot to trade it in (needs tires and brakes soonish and about to go on a 1500mi road trip in Oct).

I have been waiting for a new american wagon to come to market and somehow completely missed this Buick tourX. When I finally stumbled upon it last weekend, I was instantly sold. Cadillac lost me as a customer when they stopped making a wagon, and that is sad... but the Cue infotainment would have probably kept me away anyway. It’s that bad.

So I spent a few days researching online; using Buick’s car builder, watching youtube and reading magazine articles and making spreadsheets. The motortrend shootout with the Outback and Alltrack was the best review I found. I also heavily use cars.com head to head comparison tool to compare room/size/specs. I was a little concerned about the overall length and turning radius but so far it hasn’t been as noticeable as I expected.

In terms of competition, Buick is in a really sweet spot as it price competes w Subaru, VW, and most CUVs and while obviously not as lux, offers a compelling value alternative to the german wagons which are more my speed. I am not a fan of the Outback as its like an suv now, and has an awful cvt so i refuse to ever own one. The alltrack and bmw are too small, the Allroad too finicky and expensive for what it is - ditto on volvo. Also I find a lot of modern car’s lack of analog controls super bothersome.

Therefore I stuck w the caddy as it was still the best value proposition whenever I compared alternatives, up until now.

negatives of the caddy:
-poor fuel mileage (22 rated but under 20 combined real world)
-lack of low end tq (273 at 5200rpm)
-heavy (4400+ w the moonroof)
-awful transmission (super lurchy off the line)
-aging infotainment
-restrictive rear opening
-no warranty (over 80k mi)
-uncomfortable seats

The specs comparison to the TourX were great:
-+2 rated combined mpg
-295tq at low rpm!
-3700ish lbs (-700lbs)
-aisin 8spd isn’t bad at all
-apple car play should be somewhat future-proof.
- rear opening is much taller, like the outback (and an additional 30ish cubic feet)
-extensive b2b warranty (thru 2022)
-great bolstering on seats (and lots of cabin room)

So that paper analysis got me in the door, and the test drive was suitably great. The car felt german for sure - light and super accurate steering while the trick dual clutch rear axle (shared w the focus RS) really helped the car corner, and for a lifted car had limited bodyroll. I‘m a sporty car guy (my other car is a gt-r) so I expect a certain level of handling and was really happy with it. I noticed it was not as quiet as the caddy - the road noise was from the loud tires through the bottom of the car, while the noise through laminated glass was very minimal as they claim. I was sold and I arranged a test drive for the missus and she also loved it. Oh no, we were on the hook now.

The last challenge for the sale was I felt two things (1) the only viable model was the essence based on options and (2) 40k for the car was too much (I’m cheap). But it just so happens that Buick is running a pretty great deal @14% off for September, and in the end I was able to make it out the door for about 31% off through a combination of incentives, rebates, trade in value games and financing. At ~30k the car is an absolute steal I think, but at 40 I would’ve passed. I did really want to support a brand supporting the wagon market so it felt good that I was able to buy it new even if I will eat the depriciation (I’m expecting used prices to be in the high 20s next year and ao is Buick based on their awful lease residuals).

One thing I did which I think made the deal happen was: because I wanted them to appraise my trade-in, I washed, waxed, interior shampooed & detailed the caddy before bringing it in (best $50 spent). It looked really good sitting in front of their dealership and there were a lot less things for them to complain about when asking for top dollar. Going in, I researched prices on KBB and NADA, and both told me to expect disappointment, with the trade in being 9-10k. I was prepared to hold firm and sell it privately as I wanted closer to 15. It was as expected (they even printed out KBB) and offered 9k out the gate. But I also picked this dealership to try to get a deal at because they were a cadillac dealer and had serviced my car for the life of it, so could validate condition. When I told them I was going to have to walk to sell and bring cash, they started moving on the trade in price and in the end got it up above the kbb private party value so was thrilled. An added benefit of this is that trade-in offsets taxable sales price, which is 8% for me so the higher the trade in the less tax I pay.

Lastly, I went in wanting the driver confidence II package for the adaptive cruise control ( it could’ve also been annoying as some people say, and would be used sparingly anyway) which they did not have in stock. It seems for some reason Buick defaults the essences to the DLI only which I understand saves money but ugh. When I asked them to order the car from another dealer with the package, they were clear that they really, really wanted to move the cars they had on the lot and this was the most optioned they had and would go above and beyond to make it happen. So I made the choice to ‘settle’ for it in return for more discounts.

That’s how the deal worked out for me, not that you asked, but maybe it’s helpful for someone else about to buy one.

Basically for a 40k car I walked out with a loan for 27k (all out of pocket costs, taxes, fees included) and 7k back from the trade value. I think that was a deal worth closing. Nothing crazy, I’m not special, but it matched any deal I found on the internet so was happy.

Can’t wait to get a tune on the motor, a full size spare, swap the seats for the opel ones, add a sunglass holder and get some miles on this bad boy! Haha

I’m in Philadelphia, PA. Hi!

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Congrats, Motormouth, on your purchase. Remember, you can adjust the height of your wagon's tailgate (could be crucial if you have a garage at home, etc.). Enjoy your TourX!

Motormouth

Philadelphia, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Congrats, Motormouth, on your purchase. Remember, you can adjust the height of your wagon's tailgate (could be crucial if you have a garage at home, etc.). Enjoy your TourX!
Thanks - the tailgate knob (and trunk close) buttons are identical to my old caddy wagon’s haha.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Congrats on the amazing deal. I only got about 5% off last month, but I was unwilling to go without the driver confidence II package. I didn't feel like I had much leverage to expect them to go any lower. Buick also didn't have any discounts of their own on the TourX last month, so perhaps it was bad timing on my part.

I noticed it was not as quiet as the caddy - the road noise was from the loud tires through the bottom of the car, while the noise through laminated glass was very minimal as they claim.
Yeah I noticed this as well. The glass is great at blocking noise, engine noise is nicely dampened, but there's still a noticeable amount of tire noise coming up from the floor. And that's even with our fancy foam-filled tires like those found on Rolls Royce cars... It's still quiet enough inside for me, I don't think it's really quiet enough that Buick should be talking about it.

Motormouth

Philadelphia, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Thanks!

If I had pushed for them to order the car (there was one in Ohio w/ all the options) I would’ve gotten the bare bones 14% month special for sure.

Also noticed no power folding mirrors which was a disappointment.

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
I got a dealer to give me the tourx overnight. Had a lot of fun with it today, if I can get Opel seats with cooling I'd be sold.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
That's a nice vehicle. Was just in the dealer for service a few weeks ago and saw one. Was quite surprised Buick was even making anything like this. It was white (not my choice) but then saw a black one on the highway that really caught my attention. I never understood the wagon thing but I get it.....some SUV capabilities/features with car-like performance I guess. I really like a smaller SUV for daily driving especially in the winter but love my cars too. Maybe this will be my next vehicle but swore I'd never buy another new GM vehicle again.

kmingis

Sustaining Member
RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
Congrats, Motormouth on a great deal (and, of course, a fab car). When dealers really want to deal, they really deal. Enjoy the TourX, enjoy the compliments you'll get on the design, and enjoy the fact that you won't see (m)any others around!

GeorgeG

Buick Ownership
regal tourx
New to forum but have had the Tourx since April. Fully loaded Smoked Pearl with Shale interior. So funny Motormouth but we also had a 2012 Caddy CTS wagon red with cashmere interior. We loved the way it rode and drove. Unfortunately it got totaled but it did an amazing job of protecting us. Not even sore from the air bags.

So the hunt began for a replacement, newest version of Volve v90 CC ended up tops on the list, I also love fun cars as my other car is a Cadillac Vsport which is absolutely awesome even dispite CUE. But the Volvo was just too much money that I couldn''t justify. Next on the list was the Tourx and when they discounted and offered 0% for 72 months it was a done deal. I would have liked a more upscale version equipped with things like cooled seats, auto high beams and rain-sensing wipers but such is life. The Tourx is no Vsport but it's not meant to be. My biggest issue to date is the transmission programming, can't wait for a tuning program to stop the lugging and shuddering (especially with the ac running) even at the expense of a little fuel mileage. (my Vsport twin turbo V6 is averaging 23 mpg and I don't baby it).
The interior could be nicer as many reviewers have stated, and the tires aren't the best, mine did not come with the quiet comfort tires. I just put 4 michelin x-ice winter tires on because we don't put on a lot of miles and we need a better tire for winter here in NE. Surprise they are smoother and quieter then the Conti's and seem to handle just fine. Don't know that I'll keep them on all year but Tirerack has not sized wheels for this car yet. I also would like to add a space saver spare, the sunglass holder would be nice. The other thing I have noticed is that if I use Android Auto have I to wait for the bluetooth to pair before connecting the usb cord. If I don't the car phone seems to get mixed up between the car system and android auto and has trouble connecting to incoming calls.

Looking forward to more input about this car from others. I feel like it has more potential without going through too much trouble.

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
George, I think maybe you need a firmware update for the infotainment system? I hook up my phone before turning it on, and the phone works fine interchangeably between AA and the car system, I switch between them at will while on a call. I bought my car a week ago, but I know it was at the dealer for 8 months.

Also, for those that have phones that are too tall for the phone holder, I found a 90 degree USB C cable that makes my phone fit, works like a charm.

Last edited:

Kriptonite

Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Just took delivery of a new leftover 2018 tourx essence tricoat white. Drivers confidence package1 and the sights and sounds package only. No sunroof and the light saddle color interior. We wanted one with the light carpet in the rear area and found this one over 700 miles away. I had a pilot friend who flew me there and I drove 11 hours straight to get home.
We really like this car and I have already taken the badges off of the rear deck and plan to remove the cladding from around the wheel wells. It goes into the window tinting shop Wednesday and as soon as the accessories (front and rear cameras and lighted doorsills) come in it will go to the local dealership for installation.
We are coming out of a 04 Chevy Malibu Max and if this GM gives as good service as the Chevy did it will probably be the last car that we will have to buy.
Bought it straight up paid for and got out the door for 33 and change. Didn't think that was too bad of a deal with tax and title work included.
Glad to be a Buick owner.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.