• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New Verano - Not Coming to US

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
New Buick Verano Is Hot-Looking but Only for China, Not U.S.

Some pics of the new Verano going on sale in the Chinese market. Quite attractive IMHO. A three cylinder would like not work here but a turbo four ....oh we tried that.. 😉

Unfortunately the turbo did not sell well but we love ours. Not similar options at a reasonable cost if looking to replace it. Quite a little beast when the power is needed.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
While the front and rear clips look fine and the interior is classy, I'm still not a fan of the basic second-generation body lines. I think the first-gen Cruze and Verano look much better despite weighing more.

A 1.6L turbo four as the base engine with a 2L turbo four as the up-level engine, linked to a nine- or 10-speed automatic would be ideal, as well as bringing over the sedan and hatch in GS and non-GS trims.

The turbo didn't sell well because the car was never really advertised and because the Premium trim carried such a hefty price premium over the other trims. In addition, the Verano should have had a MCE by 2015 to address some of its initial shortcomings.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
If you looked at what the Premium/Turbo offered versus vehicles of like size and features, the value was there. The issue is perceptions as people did not want to pay that for a 'small' vehicle - or a small Buick/GM product. The American market perceives 'size' as value more than content and capability. This is what has somewhat ruined VW in the US too as far as Jetta and Passat lines go IMHO.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I disagree in the Verano's case. During my research, I read many so-called expert reviews that declared one of the Verano's negatives was that there were plenty of other class C and class D sedans available for the same amount of coin.

Other than adding the Turbo trim in 2013 and the usual annual color palette changes, there were no major changes made to the car and with little to no advertising, a large swath of potential buyers were ignorant of the car's existence. Even the '16s changes were miniscule; moving the start-stop button from the center stack to the steering column and making the driver's seat 8-way power instead of 6-way.

While it initially sold well, even stealing some sales from the Regal as customers found out downsizing didn't = giving up most options and technology for a bare-bones economy sedan, the Verano was ultimately left to wither and that's a shame, IMO.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
I wonder which vehicles they compared and benchmarked. We cross-shopped the C class, ILX and Lexus IS. C Class was a lot (I mean a lot) more coin without leather, less power, no heated steering, etc. The ILX was really a bad comparison and while cost was close, it sorely lacked power and features. The Lexus was sweet looking but also had much less power, very uncomfortable/small rear seat, no heated steering wheel, etc. - and much more money.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I've always felt that poor/lack of advertising killed the Verano along with the fact that Americans predominately want Trucks or SUV's.

When shopping the small cars I also looked at the Mercedes C class and the Lexus IS.
The Mercedes was a joke.... Only for posers that were paying for an emblem.
The Lexus IS was better than the C class but still way overpriced.... IMO.

I've always believed the Verano Turbo Premium was a steal in it's class.
Since I bought mine used with low miles (27,000) and only 3 years old it was a double steal.
It originally stickered for a little over $30,000. Got it for $15,000.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
TL, besides the usual suspects, such as the ILX, the C Class and the smallest Volvos and BMWs available here, I read those encouraging prospective Verano buyers to move up to the top-tier Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu, Fusion (remember this is before 2015), even a 200.

I agree with Kevin; the Verano was a steal in its class, particularly in Premium trim.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
TL and BMWs at the time were much larger than the Verano in size. As are the upmarket Camry and Accord models. My wife really dislikes large vehicles so a small near luxury or luxury model is what she was shopping for and hence the main vehicles we cross-shopped were the ILX and Mercedes C Class at the time

That is why we also felt the Verano Turbo/Premium was a good value. High on features and power and reliability beat the Mercedes. I think we paid under $30K at the time.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Doh! Sorry. I have the TL on my mind because I have pushed the new TLX as a vehicle for her to consider if the Verano is binned.

Pedal Commander