New water pump leaks at gasket

radigan

usa
Buick Ownership
2002 Lesabre, my first car was a '65 Skylark ragtop
I just installed a new water pump on my 2002 lesabre, and when doing "the fill" . I noticed I am leaking at the bottom of the gasket.

So here is my thinking....

Replace gasket with one of the expensive ones sold separately.

Or...

Get some gasket adhesive and try to work the new gasket that came with the unit.

Or ...

Just tighten the bolts pass the torque settings.

So everybody tell me your thoughts?

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
I would not tighten to much over spec, snapping a bolt would make me cry!
Would not recommend removing and reusing the gasket, it may be damaged
Did you thoroughly clean the mating surface?
Is this a paper gasket or metal with sealing bead?

radigan

usa
Buick Ownership
I did not use sealant the first time. I suspect it will make the difference in the future.
It was a paper gasket that came with the "CARQUEST New Premium Water Pump".
Surface was cleaned.
I am not leaning on tightening, I suspect I will get a new gasket and some sealant and try again.

radigan

usa
Buick Ownership
Well today I started with doing research on the torque settings. Found out that there are different spec for the same engine. so I choose the spec that seem to be the best...
Small bolts 16 lbs
Large bolts 25 lbs
This was tighter than what I had originally done.

However it was not the torque values, that cause my leak. I latter found that the gasket had slipped during 1st installation. The paper gasket did not survive the removal. I had not use any sealant on this paper gasket.

I purchased a Felpro Water Pump Gasket Part # 35351, it is a blue rubber, no sealant needed gasket.
I Used liquid Teflon on the large bolts threads, Torque the bolts, and pressure tested. It worked.

Although this might be unorthodox, I put a vacuum on the air bleeder during filling of antifreeze. I use my brake bleeding tool. This was to remove the air in the system.

I must admit, I love the fact that this car is so easy to work on.

Thanks for all the thoughts, I appreciate the fact that there are so many like minded enthusiast.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Well today I started with doing research on the torque settings. Found out that there are different spec for the same engine. so I choose the spec that seem to be the best...
Small bolts 16 lbs
Large bolts 25 lbs
This was tighter than what I had originally done.

However it was not the torque values, that cause my leak. I latter found that the gasket had slipped during 1st installation. The paper gasket did not survive the removal. I had not use any sealant on this paper gasket.

I purchased a Felpro Water Pump Gasket Part # 35351, it is a blue rubber, no sealant needed gasket.
I Used liquid Teflon on the large bolts threads, Torque the bolts, and pressure tested. It worked.

Although this might be unorthodox, I put a vacuum on the air bleeder during filling of antifreeze. I use my brake bleeding tool. This was to remove the air in the system.

I must admit, I love the fact that this car is so easy to work on.

Thanks for all the thoughts, I appreciate the fact that there are so many like minded enthusiast.

Thank you for being a part of the group!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!