• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

No catalytic converter

not1toforget

Buick Ownership
Encore
My check engine light came on June 11, 2019 and was told I need a catalytic converter. Ok, I didn't like the price and wished it was under warranty but it wasn't. Regardless, it need my vehicle so I wanted to move forward to get it fixed. The part wasn't available and until July 5th and when I picked up the vehicle on July 6th, within 3 hours the check engine light was back on. So, the car is back at the dealership because the catalytic converter was faulty. Now, I'm in the same predicament as before, I don't have an ETA for the part. My car has been at the dealership for over a month and it's now July 22. This is unbelievable. I read another email about someone having a delayed transmission issue for 2 months. What is going on? I've sent my second email to GM.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I guess the first question is why is it being done at a dealer when it was out of warranty, second question is have you checked for another parts source and shop? Catalytic converters are a fairly common part in the aftermarket and unless it's a specific state type required unit most muffler or repair shops should be able to do it, just offering a option.

not1toforget

Buick Ownership
Encore
I guess the first question is why is it being done at a dealer when it was out of warranty, second question is have you checked for another parts source and shop? Catalytic converters are a fairly common part in the aftermarket and unless it's a specific state type required unit most muffler or repair shops should be able to do it, just offering a option.

not1toforget

Buick Ownership
Encore
Well, my car is under warranty but that part isn’t covered under warranty which is why I went to the dealership. it never crossed my mind to go somewhere else to repair only the catalytic converter.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check the Federal Emissions Warranties on your vehicle if it's still covered as the catalytic converter is one of the components that is on the list, dealers can overlook this if they are only looking at the vehicle warranty.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
You may want to check the Federal Emissions Warranties on your vehicle if it's still covered as the catalytic converter is one of the components that is on the list, dealers can overlook this if they are only looking at the vehicle warranty.
This is what I was wondering, why didn't they cover this under the FEW. I could excuse a small shop for overlooking this, but there is no excuse for a dealer not to know about this.

Federal Emissions Warranties Are Often Forgotten or Overlooked When Your Vehicle Needs Repairs

not1toforget

Buick Ownership
Encore
This is what I was wondering, why didn't they cover this under the FEW. I could excuse a small shop for overlooking this, but there is no excuse for a dealer not to know about this.

Federal Emissions Warranties Are Often Forgotten or Overlooked When Your Vehicle Needs Repairs
Out of curiosity, what year is your vehicle and how many miles are on it?
Out of curiosity, what year is your vehicle and how many miles are on it?
My vehicle is a 2015 and I have almost 97k miles which puts it over Federal Emissions warranty of 80k.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
My vehicle is a 2015 and I have almost 97k miles which puts it over Federal Emissions warranty of 80k.
Well that sucks.... I would definitely check with some independent garages or even the national "Muffler" chains.
If they can get the correct CAT, it will definitely be cheaper than a GM Dealership.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
X2 what Kevin said. Stay away from the dealer at this point. You have nothing to gain there.

X E Ryder

Norcal
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Essence, 1997 Buick Regal GS modded
If you can't get it covered by warranty, there are often oem cats in good serviceable condition on ebay for half price or so, vs new - i can save a lot of cash and get you back up and running.

2015 buick encore catalytic converter | eBay

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I'd stay away from Ebay parts. Often questionable origins. What you save initially can cost more due to short part life and time involved. Spend the extra few bucks and get parts from a reputable source.

X E Ryder

Norcal
Buick Ownership

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
So you are talking used. I'm not sure I see the point unless you are really strapped for cash.

X E Ryder

Norcal
Buick Ownership
So you are talking used. I'm not sure I see the point unless you are really strapped for cash.
When someone wrecks one with reasonable mileage on it you can save a lot of money for a cat that bolts directly on and lasts years longer. I'm not strapped for cash but I don't like to waste mine. ;-)

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
When someone wrecks one with reasonable mileage on it you can save a lot of money for a cat that bolts directly on and lasts years longer. I'm not strapped for cash but I don't like to waste mine. ;-)
It's your money. And your time. I keep my vehicles well past 150k. My HHR has 161k on it, my Sierra has 155k. Not planning to get rid either any time soon. In 40 years of wrenching on my own vehicles, I've learned that buying a quality part new when it's needed saves me a lot more money and time than a used part does. My time is worth something too. Actually a lot more to me than a few dollars.

X E Ryder

Norcal
Buick Ownership
It's your money. And your time. I keep my vehicles well past 150k. My HHR has 161k on it, my Sierra has 155k. Not planning to get rid either any time soon. In 40 years of wrenching on my own vehicles, I've learned that buying a quality part new when it's needed saves me a lot more money and time than a used part does. My time is worth something too. Actually a lot more to me than a few dollars.
It takes 10 minutes to change, and half price for a converter replacement is a lot more than a few dollars. You are a long way from understanding this if you have that many cars. A lot of us have the time, and Not the money, get it?

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
It takes 10 minutes to change, and half price for a converter replacement is a lot more than a few dollars. You are a long way from understanding this if you have that many cars. A lot of us have the time, and Not the money, get it?
You can afford a 2018 car and the cost of mods but you can't afford a new part? No, I really don't get that.