No more buick brand just Tri-coat shield? Thoughts everyone

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
Whats up ladies and gents,

Just got home and read an article while i was at work today about GM is letting go the buick brand name off vehicle's just just leaking the (tri-coat shield) whats your thoughts on that. I'll link the article on here, it was on Forbes but i'm kinda leaning towards the tri-coat shield and buick badge. But the history on the Buick brand will somewhat tarnish to the new age because they wont even know what it is, it'll just be the badge. I know they started doing it on the laccross (Avenir) vehicle's just the shield but no buick brand on the rears. GM mapping The End Of Buick In America? This is an old article of last year but still idk how true this will be but it'll be a big change though.

Feel free for opinions and lets see how everyone will like or dislike this new venture that GM is trying to achieve. But with my look of it i'd keep the buick logo and do tri-coat badge

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Your right in that it's old, but when the first wave of announcements came out a coworker asked if I had heard the news they were dropping Buick, LOL, I had to explain it was the name on the car's and GM wasn't getting rid of Buick, well not that week. As far as removal of the Buick name I had already debadge my car long before the official announcement, so it's a cleaner look.

I'm lucky to have seen when the name of the car and model was designed with as much importance as the body, but watched it go to a LEGO style, to a "Hello My Name Is" sticker to the last batch that look like a mailbox stick on's from Home Depot.

Seeing how Buick is dropping cars and making more offshore, kinda doesn't matter on the name as no one will care five years from now. But the aftermarket will have letting and stickers that can let everyone know you are driving a Buick LOL.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
Where on BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc do you see the manufacturers name on the vehicle? Always just the model and the logo. The logo identifies the manufacturer because it is etched into people’s memories. Buick will be the same - likely is for many already.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
The most popular selling car among Mustang, Camaro and Challenger is the Mustang and the word FORD is nowhere on the car.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
Where on BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc do you see the manufacturers name on the vehicle? Always just the model and the logo. The logo identifies the manufacturer because it is etched into people’s memories. Buick will be the same - likely is for many already.
My M3's rear badge emblem and I went out and look at it it literally says Bmw 😂😂 it's not on the trunk it's on the emblem

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
The most popular selling car among Mustang, Camaro and Challenger is the Mustang and the word FORD is nowhere on the car.
Well heres why. The first ford mustang was released in 1964 and it ripped apart the American market, people had never seen a car like it. It was fast and yet very utilitarian. Thus with the introduction of the Ford Mustang, Ford had created a new class of cars called the “Pony cars”. These cars have long hoods, big V8s and a long rear. Following ford’s lead Chevrolet came up with the Camaro and Dodge came up with Charger. Eventually “Pony cars” came to be known as “Muscle cars”. Hence Ford stuck with the logo of a galloping horse for the Mustang. And the red, white and blue stripes in the background represented the American flag.

Later when Ford teamed up Carroll Shelby to tune their Ford GTs for the 24 hour Le mans race in 1966, they signed a contract with Shelby to tune their Mustangs. These Mustangs had more power than the regular Mustang GTs and they came with the logo of a cobra.

Car manufacturers changing their logos on some models in not that uncommon. Dodge puts a logo of a viper on Dodge Viper instead of their regular logo and same is the case with Dodge Hellcat Chargers and Challengers, which come with a logo of a mountain lion. Even the Chevrolet Corvette has a different logo.

It is just their way of telling that this car is special.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There has been 1800 car manufacturer's in the USA, so a name was needed to basically to let consumers know who made that vehicle otherwise it was a box on wheels. If you look back at earlier cars many had very few logos, with the exception of the radiator and caps, most started out on hub caps and steering wheel centers. Names became more a marketing tool, look at trucks tailgates as how large a name can be displayed, with logos as a branding tool for that division.

Looking back at any of the original logos most have changed since the beginning until a decision was made to standardize it.
237c34258308ec02568a8fb1764b4882.jpg

Very general on this subject, but in other countries and languages some names don't translate to well or pronounce like Nissan VS Datsun, which is one reason you won't find a Chevy Nova name south of the US in a Spanish market LOL.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
Buick doesn’t pay you to advertise for them, why should you drive around with Buick emblems on the car for free???? All of my badges are gone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.