No power to AC compressor

CSflyer

Buick Newbie
Thread starter #1
I just installed a new compressor on a 05 Rendezvous and after pulling a vacuum and starting to recharge I noticed the ac clutch wasn’t engaging. Fuse and relay are good, I can hear the relay click with the key on while reiinstalling the relay. Checked with multimeter and there’s no voltage at the compressor connector. I can command the ac on with my tech 2 scan tool and still no power. There are no trouble codes in any of the modules. The cooling fans also aren’t coming on but they will work when commanded by the scanner. I’m frustrated and have no idea where to look next, can anyone help me?

CSflyer

Buick Newbie
Thread starter #2
I ended up wiring the compressor clutch straight to the battery which engaged the clutch so I could charge the system. After I finished charging I unhooked my jumper wires and scan tool and the compressor clutch stayed engaged and cooling fans stayed on. Not sure what the problem was but it’s fixed now and blowing ice cold air. Figured I’d post my experience and it might help someone out later on.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Love happy endings !

Thanks for the update.

I installed a compressor on my mother's minivan some years ago and it didn't work. Turned out I didn't plug the electrical connection all the way !!! Glad my brother was with me and saw it right away :LOL:

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Maybe want happened is that the compressor's clutch will not engage until a certain minimum pressure has been reached when charging it.

This is how all the cars AC's I've ever worked on were when filling them from empty.

Had to have the AC setting on max (and the temp on coldest obviously)... Then I would start charging the port, and a few seconds after starting to fill, the clutch would engage.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.