• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Notchy gear engagement

blah

montgomery county, md
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal '11 6sp
Hello All,

I'm a new owner of a 2011 T03 Regal turbo 6sp, german built. F'ing love it...

This morning it was around 46(F) out, noticed gear engagement was very notchy. Not smooth like my dead bmw was, or my old 2007 Civic Si. I understand the SI wasn't direct linkage to the gearbox like the buick and bmw.

I've also noticed sometimes it hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear at a stoplight (2nd if I'm rolling downhill) unless I cycle through the gears from 6-down.

Am I crazy or is this a cold weather issue? :confused:

Last edited:

CXLTsouth

Buick Ownership
Buick
If the linkage in the Regal 6 speed manual is anything like the 5 speed manual in my HHR SS, it uses shifter cables that can be adjusted by unsnapping, adjusting the cable length and then snapping it back in place.

The adjustment is at the shifter end.

All the LNF (Cobalt SS/TC, HHR SS, Sky Redline and Solstice GXP's) manual cars were notorious for needing shifter cable adjustments.

six.0

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We're noticing this same issue on my fiancee's car. We got the car with ~300 miles on it, and a week later drove it on a 1500mi trip. I drove 80% and know for a fact all the gears were smooth. For the past month or so I've noticed its a little "notchy", with 2nd to 3rd being the worst. Taking it to the dealer yielded nothing as they drove it for a few miles and said it seems normal. Could be because I didn't know quite how to explain it, and maybe made it sound like it's grinding gears.

In addition, the car has stalled a few times both starting out in 1st and in reverse. It needed to be revved to like 3k to get it to go. Not sure what that was all about but it's happened about 3 times now and the car is only creeping up on 4k miles. Brought that to the dealers attention too but got nowhere, just the look of "maybe you don't know how to drive a manual". I told them about the engine stalling TSB but they said our vehicle is not included in that.

I can deal with that since it's pretty infrequent, but the shifting is what bothers me. I noticed it helps a little to only push the clutch in about half way rather than to the floor, shifts a little smoother when I do this. Let us know if you find anything out, and if it is related to the issue of the cobalts/hhr like posted above.

blah

montgomery county, md
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal '11 6sp
We're noticing this same issue on my fiancee's car. We got the car with ~300 miles on it, and a week later drove it on a 1500mi trip. I drove 80% and know for a fact all the gears were smooth. For the past month or so I've noticed its a little "notchy", with 2nd to 3rd being the worst. Taking it to the dealer yielded nothing as they drove it for a few miles and said it seems normal. Could be because I didn't know quite how to explain it, and maybe made it sound like it's grinding gears.

In addition, the car has stalled a few times both starting out in 1st and in reverse. It needed to be revved to like 3k to get it to go. Not sure what that was all about but it's happened about 3 times now and the car is only creeping up on 4k miles. Brought that to the dealers attention too but got nowhere, just the look of "maybe you don't know how to drive a manual". I told them about the engine stalling TSB but they said our vehicle is not included in that.

I can deal with that since it's pretty infrequent, but the shifting is what bothers me. I noticed it helps a little to only push the clutch in about half way rather than to the floor, shifts a little smoother when I do this. Let us know if you find anything out, and if it is related to the issue of the cobalts/hhr like posted above.
Not to be a dick, but it kind sounds like you need to practice your clutching? I haven't had my car stall out...

I took my car in too and they basically told me that had no idea why it was acting the way it did and basically summarizing it as "that's the way she blows".

I posted a response to another thread ... but basically my main issue is the forcing it into 1st or any gear after clutching in, and clutching out...I guess its just the crappy GM tranny.