• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

O1 buick park. Need help with super charger issues. changed coupler, still noisy.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
I changed coupler and oil. Seemed to quiet down. Now its just as loud as before(not really that loud, just annoying as heck, and it works well,plenty of boost). Im looking for the most economical way to deal with this. Im a fairly capable diy"er, I'd have no problem getting it onto the bench, but getting bearings out and such, on this puppy, Im not so sure i have the tools? The alternative, I think would be to buy a rebuilt one. Or wear ear plugs. Then the issue is where to find a reputable venue. Or where to buy ear plugs. Appreciate any help.
Thanks.(the coupler was a Dorman)(presently the belt is off, and what a dog, comparatively).

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
If I were you, I would first check your belt and make sure its not that. Then, spin your pulleys to make sure those bearings arent worn. If still not worn, pull of supercharger and make sure it still had oil and the new coupler wasnt worn again. If all of that is good... im sorry to say but it sounds internal supercharger. But the fact it originally quieted tells me it could be something else.

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
Take the belt off, spin and check your pulleys for noise or play in the bearings. My friend has a supercharged Monte Carlo that was noisy. The bearing was chewed up in the pulley.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
Take the belt off, spin and check your pulleys for noise or play in the bearings. My friend has a supercharged Monte Carlo that was noisy. The bearing was chewed up in the pulley.
None of my pulleys spin. I can turn them by hand. No spin though. The only play is in pulley behind tensioner.
If I were you, I would first check your belt and make sure its not that. Then, spin your pulleys to make sure those bearings arent worn. If still not worn, pull of supercharger and make sure it still had oil and the new coupler wasnt worn again. If all of that is good... im sorry to say but it sounds internal supercharger. But the fact it originally quieted tells me it could be something else.
Pulleys don't spin. I can turn them by hand, but they don't spin. No play, except pulley behind tensioner.

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
The dorman replacement coupler is an exact copy of the OEM piece, and cracks quickly. The other known issue is the snout bearing can go bad. Both can cause noise at the supercharger.
Use a screwdriver or stethoscope and verify it is coming from the supercharger case, specifically where the coupler or nose is. If it is coming from the rotor pack it is time for a new supercharger, even if you are getting good boost. If it is up by the throttle body it will be the needle bearings. ZZP and Intense sell bearing rebuild kits.
Most people do the ZZP/Intense/Smoothflow pulley coupler, which is a better delrin material and more reinforced without the cut outs and lightening. It will last longer and can withstand higher boost levels(faster pulley drive speeds). You can buy snouts with new bearings already installed on 3800 forum and Ebay.
The nose drive pulley requires an expensive special tool to remove and reinstall it as it is a taper press fit.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
The dorman replacement coupler is an exact copy of the OEM piece, and cracks quickly. The other known issue is the snout bearing can go bad. Both can cause noise at the supercharger.
Use a screwdriver or stethoscope and verify it is coming from the supercharger case, specifically where the coupler or nose is. If it is coming from the rotor pack it is time for a new supercharger, even if you are getting good boost. If it is up by the throttle body it will be the needle bearings. ZZP and Intense sell bearing rebuild kits.
Most people do the ZZP/Intense/Smoothflow pulley coupler, which is a better delrin material and more reinforced without the cut outs and lightening. It will last longer and can withstand higher boost levels(faster pulley drive speeds). You can buy snouts with new bearings already installed on 3800 forum and Ebay.
The nose drive pulley requires an expensive special tool to remove and reinstall it as it is a taper press fit.
Thanks . Good stuff. zzp is an impressive looking cite. The gen v conversion is interesting. Lots of work though.
I will see if I can determine where the problems is in mine. I could buy zzps snout, if thats the problem, or buy needle bearings and have a shop install them. If I need to replace the whole thing, then the problem will be, from where? Who are the good guys, one can trust. thanks.

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
There are several rebuild guys on 3800 and ebay that have stellar reviews. Swapping mine to Gen V was a hassle as I have an intercooler. I had to move my alternator up and back, rerun PCV, tap the throttle body, all sorts of small stuff that adds up quickly. It's nice as I have much lower intercooler water temps than the stock Gen III. Gen III was about 50* over ambient intercooler outlet water temps. Gen V and it is ambient, maybe 10* over in stop and go high heat times.

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
There are several rebuild guys on 3800 and ebay that have stellar reviews. Swapping mine to Gen V was a hassle as I have an intercooler. I had to move my alternator up and back, rerun PCV, tap the throttle body, all sorts of small stuff that adds up quickly. It's nice as I have much lower intercooler water temps than the stock Gen III. Gen III was about 50* over ambient intercooler outlet water temps. Gen V and it is ambient, maybe 10* over in stop and go high heat times.
Thanks. Your timely response is much appreciated. Would I have the same gen v fitting problems without the intercooler?

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
I came across a discussion about GM stock coupler vs the aftermarket. GM'S coupler has a spring in it. http://www.superchargersonline.com/images/tech/eaton_coupler_change/couplers.jpg. Whats that about?

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
That's... a good question. Im not sure. But your pulleys, as you said, move with resistance. Technically a new bearing should have resistance. But typcally a midlife bearing is gonna free spin relatively well. An end life bearing can be stiff(not always)

Bluedream

sacramento, ca
Buick Ownership
2001 park avenue ultra
There is not a "spring" in the OEM coupler! That is fake news!
Thanks for explaining that.
That's... a good question. Im not sure. But your pulleys, as you said, move with resistance. Technically a new bearing should have resistance. But typcally a midlife bearing is gonna free spin relatively well. An end life bearing can be stiff(not always)
Thanks. I do appreciate your input. The bearings seem ok, I think the problem is inside the sc. Maybe the needle bearings, or the rotors.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
When I do an Eaton M-62/ M-90 rebuild, I always replace the needle bearings for the rotors. Many other re-builders do not! I don't sell my rebuilds on eBay, or anywhere else. I do it for myself and my friends only. I usually keep several rebuilt units & those needing rebuilt in stock. Currently have over 80K on my last rebuild and still full 11.5 psi boost with a 3.4 pulley & no noise from the coupler, or rotors. I have a friend who is a JY dog mechanic, and can bring me an original S/C whenever I ask him for 50-bucks. I will post some pics of my rebuilds later, I am tired & it is getting late!

Last edited:
Pedal Commander