• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

OBD Port Link Error

rjrad

Buick Newbie
South Dakota
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo
My code reader is giving a link error when trying to read codes. Re-inserted it multiple times thinking it might not be making good contact.
I checked fuse 14 on interior fuse block and it's good.
I am almost certain my code reader is good since used it on a friend's car a few days ago and it worked.
Looking for advice on what else might be the cause of the link error.
It's a 2012 Regal 2.0 Turbo.

Thank you.

rjrad

Buick Newbie
South Dakota
Buick Ownership
I haven't checked it with a voltmeter.
Wouldn't the pin have battery voltage if the code reader is powering on when I plug it into the port? Or does the code reader get it's power activation from a different pin?

rjrad

Buick Newbie
South Dakota
Buick Ownership
Voltage on pin 16 is 12.67.

pigsnzen

BFE, KY
Buick Ownership
'12 GS 6MT
I would spray both sides of the plug with contact cleaner. I've had issues before where grease/dirt/etc. got jammed in the receiving side of plug...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As it's possible check the OBD port ground. Another option to consider and confirm it's the vehicle is check it with another reader, most parts stores can do it. If you Google "OBD 2 port link error trouble shooting" there's addtional descriptions and methods on checking it.