OBD1.5

garrett8784

Buick Newbie
SW Florida
Buick Ownership
1987 Buick Grand National, 1987 Buick Turbo T, 1995 supercharged Riviera
I have a 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe. I have a check engine light that comes on after 30 minutes, usually when I put the car in reverse to back it into the driveway. I have a OBD2 scanner that hooks to the car but it won't read the computer. I also have a OBD1 scanner, but that won't plug into the car. I have scoured the internet for the appropriate adapter, but they are always the wrong plug. I need a male OBD2 to a female OBD1, and I haven't been able to find one.. Very frustrating.

garrett8784

Buick Newbie
SW Florida
Buick Ownership
Well, that did,t work. It's extremely hard to get to. I guess i'll take it to a shop.

garrett8784

Buick Newbie
SW Florida
Buick Ownership
I took the car to a automotive AC and electric specialty shop, that I've been using for decades. They managed to retrieve a code that had to do with the security system. They asked me if I have had trouble starting the car or keeping it running. I replied that I have not, and the car is running normal They advised me to do nothing with it at this point. If it gets worse, I guess it could tell the computer that the car is being stolen and shut the car down. If that happens, I will have to get a new computer and have it programmed. Hopefully that doesn't happen because it sounds expensive. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue from the 1995-1999 Rivs?

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
If you have the key with the pod chip in it, there is a walk through to defeat it using resistors. I have personally done it to a 94 PA Ultra, 97 Lesabre and a pats key 2 system on a Monte Carlo. If you google the terms pats bypass it should pull it up. The ecu is designed to let you continue to use the car even with the error codes. But, if it cant read the key, then it will not run. The dealer was telling you a tale to get you to spend money. When ever I have a car that wants to give trouble or the key switch fails and it has pats or pats 2, I bypass it. Pats 3 and other transponder keys have eliminated this bypass and require more interfacing to defeat. Like HP tuners can turn off security in an ecu for more modern cars. I hope this helps.

garrett8784

Buick Newbie
SW Florida
Buick Ownership
It must be still reading the chip in the key, because the car is still starting and running fine. I'll just live with the check engine light. The car is 25 years old and has 130000 mies on it. So long as it keeps running. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worst. Thanks for the input though.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On the chip key using a eraser on both sides of the chip, the metal exposed area, can sometimes clear up problems. Had the security issue show up on a 95 Lesabre and remember about this, used an eraser and next twist of the key it was back to normal that was about 3 years ago and has never returned. Just don't use anything more abrasive that's why I suggest a eraser.

Rivimarc

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera
On the chip key using a eraser on both sides of the chip, the metal exposed area, can sometimes clear up problems. Had the security issue show up on a 95 Lesabre and remember about this, used an eraser and next twist of the key it was back to normal that was about 3 years ago and has never returned. Just don't use anything more abrasive that's why I suggest a eraser.
Yes, an eraser is good for cleaning contacts. I only recommend the bypass when the system is failing. My Riv has 225000 miles on it and still going strong. Original everything, even paint, well whats left of it.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It must be still reading the chip in the key, because the car is still starting and running fine. I'll just live with the check engine light. The car is 25 years old and has 130000 mies on it. So long as it keeps running. I'm just hoping it doesn't get worst. Thanks for the input though.
The check engine light (CEL) and security system light are two separate animals. If you only have an CEL, what is it?

Max Blast

Buick Ownership
1992 Riv
Does your 95 give you a code readout on the dash like my 92 does?
If I press the HVAC panel "OFF" and "TEMP DOWN" button it puts the car into diagnostic mode where you can read codes on the odometer. Not sure how OBD1.5 did that but some OBD 1 cars have the code reader built in. Nifty.

Marvin Potter

Buick Ownership
1995,1997, 1998
I have a 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe. I have a check engine light that comes on after 30 minutes, usually when I put the car in reverse to back it into the driveway. I have a OBD2 scanner that hooks to the car but it won't read the computer. I also have a OBD1 scanner, but that won't plug into the car. I have scoured the internet for the appropriate adapter, but they are always the wrong plug. I need a male OBD2 to a female OBD1, and I haven't been able to find one.. Very frustrating.
ACtron cp 9690 elite scanner will work.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!