Odd starter issue-2008 Lucerne

armourereric

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne
I have a 2008 Lucerne with 95k miles. Drove to and from work yesterday with no problems. Went to go out for an errand today and when I turned the key, the started turned but did not start. When I released the key so it would go to the run position, the starter continued to turn over and tried to keep starting the car. It continued for a few seconds and the stopped but car still did not start. I am I looking at just a starter?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Items that may cause or at least consider, state of your battery condition, security light on, floor or column shifter in full P mode, ignition switch. Seeing how this has happened once you may want to check out these items as it's a little hard to say what area may have caused it exactly. If the starter was working then there wouldn't be a need to replace it, did any codes or the CEL come up?

Try another key and if you have a remote start, see if it reacts the same way.

Last edited:

armourereric

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne
I had it towed to the mechanic this morning,. The codes were for the fuel pump control module. I have a 3rd party extended warranty and they approved the work, about $576 parts and labor. I will pay $100. It is supposedly near the firewall.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I'm glad you did get it resolved, not really familiar with the fuel pump control module as being a problem, but it came up in the codes which would have been the only way to know it wasn't a key or starter issue.

tsleber3

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2008 Lucerne with 95k miles. Drove to and from work yesterday with no problems. Went to go out for an errand today and when I turned the key, the started turned but did not start. When I released the key so it would go to the run position, the starter continued to turn over and tried to keep starting the car. It continued for a few seconds and the stopped but car still did not start. I am I looking at just a starter?
Check the fuel pump relay (under the back seat). See if one of the pins is discolored or melted. If it is melted,
the fuse block will probable be melted as well.. The fuse block will snap out of it's holder. I got my replacement
at a salvage yard for $35.00. The problem with this design is that the seat cushion bracket is against the fuse
box and the fuel relay is located right where the bracket vibrates and causes the relay pin that is carrying the
load current to arc. In time, it causes the relay and it's socket to melt.

look at this page: http://revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=195503
Hope this helps.

ybiJ

Ted

Last edited:

armourereric

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne
Funny you posted now. I got this notice in the mail within the last 10 days and my fuel pump failed again Sunday about 80 miles from my home. In think the notice mentioned reimbursement for expenses incurred from failure.

Warreneaux

Houston, Tx
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne-2010
I had it towed to the mechanic this morning,. The codes were for the fuel pump control module. I have a 3rd party extended warranty and they approved the work, about $576 parts and labor. I will pay $100. It is supposedly near the firewall.
I am glad you have found the problem.
I have a 2010 Lucerne with 51,000 miles, extended warranty ended last September.
I sure would be interested in what Third Party Warranty you have.
Thanks
Earl
earl.warren@earthlink.net

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.