• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

OEM Air Filter

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
Just purchased this; it was $45 and my Buick dealership didn't have one in stock (he blamed the strike), so he sent me to a Chevy dealership to get on since the Malibu shares the LTG engine with the TourX. I tried getting an aftermarket air filter, but K&N was the only option listed in the book for the Malibu or TourX; Pep Boys offered to order one for me, but I'm not a fan of them.

Anyone else change their air filter yet?

Attachments

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
The Wix WA10419 and AC Delco A3210C filters are both available from Amazon if you don't like Pep Boys. The Wix is about $24 and the AC Delco is about $30.

Attachments

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
I got the AC Delco from Amazon - I couldn't find anything compatible at the local Advance Auto Parts.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Years ago when filters sat on top on carburetors, Lee Air Filters came with a green thin foam prefilter (yes, I'm old). They were great. I often would wash the prefilter then spray on filter oil. Would wash that prefilter often.

When FI was invented, filters no longer sat on top of engine. I used to make my own prefilter placed on top of the regular filter. Again washed and oiled it often.

My Tour-X filter has the prefilter glued to the regular filter. Although I don't modify the filter, I do remove it once on a while, and vacuum it. Filter still clean.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
This is one area where I don't mess with the OEM recommendations. You never know what you're getting with a third-party filter, and the last thing you want is more dirt getting through than there should be. Plus there's virtually no benefits to a third-party filter ... I recall from my LS1 days that tests were done with no filter vs. the OEM filter and there was no significant difference in horsepower. And with fuel injected engines, a dirty or more restrictive filter has absolutely no effect on fuel economy. It's just not worth not using ACDelco IMO.

BD3511

Buick Newbie
Cleveland,Ohio
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II
K&N works just fine I ran one for a little while on my LTG and it will make a slight of " Turbo whistle ". Not a lot but if the volume is down on the radio and the heat and or A/C is down you'll hear it slightly. I've been running these for years in all 7 of my cars. They have done zero harm and are lifetime. Also slap that sticker they provide right on top of the airbox. The dealership sometimes like to become huffy about the K&N but it does not reflect the warranty what so ever. But I have since removed my filter and gave it to a buddy of mine with a 14 regal and built my own intake/shield due to the fact it just sounds cool. Doesn't add noticeable butt-dyno power but when you let off the accelerator it just pops the Bypass valve (BPV) pretty loud. Also yes the dealership is highway robbery with the prices they ask for swap an intake filter that literally takes 14 seconds to change and then the price they want for "OEM".

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
K&N works just fine I ran one for a little while on my LTG and it will make a slight of " Turbo whistle ". Not a lot but if the volume is down on the radio and the heat and or A/C is down you'll hear it slightly. I've been running these for years in all 7 of my cars. They have done zero harm and are lifetime. Also slap that sticker they provide right on top of the airbox. The dealership sometimes like to become huffy about the K&N but it does not reflect the warranty what so ever. But I have since removed my filter and gave it to a buddy of mine with a 14 regal and built my own intake/shield due to the fact it just sounds cool. Doesn't add noticeable butt-dyno power but when you let off the accelerator it just pops the Bypass valve (BPV) pretty loud. Also yes the dealership is highway robbery with the prices they ask for swap an intake filter that literally takes 14 seconds to change and then the price they want for "OEM".

Parts guys have to feed thei family's too.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
Air filter not due for replacement until 45k miles according to the Owners Manual. Guess I'll wait then.

BD3511

Buick Newbie
Cleveland,Ohio
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II

Parts guys have to feed thei family's too.
True true can't argue that but the prices they ask at times are just flat out insane. They've nailed me to the wall on some OEM parts for my 02 Trans Am which are dealer only if in stock that is and it's something I have accepted with a few of my cars. But certain things for routine ? They need to lower it a tad

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Air filter not due for replacement until 45k miles according to the Owners Manual.
I replaced mine with a K&N after seeing it posted here and looking at my filter and seeing the condition of the 'pre-filter'. The intake inlet is behind the open grill and I found debris/bugs in the pre-filter. I vacuumed it out and it felt like the throttle was more responsive at light throttle(probably placebo). If you leave it in for 45K, you may want to inspect it for 'debris' periodically.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
I replaced mine with a K&N after seeing it posted here and looking at my filter and seeing the condition of the 'pre-filter'. The intake inlet is behind the open grill and I found debris/bugs in the pre-filter. I vacuumed it out and it felt like the throttle was more responsive at light throttle(probably placebo). If you leave it in for 45K, you may want to inspect it for 'debris' periodically.
I concur. Clean out the debris which makes it inside the airbox.

Pedal Commander