• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

OEM Holden trailer hitch (GM part #92288845)

benkel579

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
The Aussie trailer hitch/tow bar, according to pictures I've seen, sticks out through a hole in the bumper and has a 2" receiver, which I'd prefer to the 1.25" American market ones that dangle down below the bumper.

However, they seem to be completely unavailable anywhere I can search online. Anyone have a lead as to where one could find one of these?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
The Aussie trailer hitch/tow bar, according to pictures I've seen, sticks out through a hole in the bumper and has a 2" receiver, which I'd prefer to the 1.25" American market ones that dangle down below the bumper.

However, they seem to be completely unavailable anywhere I can search online. Anyone have a lead as to where one could find one of these?
Shipping might be a challenge but you could try contacting the aftermarket supplier Hayman Reese which someone told me it is the same hitch but I have no way to personally confirm that.

SpacemanSpiff

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I've been looking into similar, but only really care about towing and stock-like usability vs. the 2" receiver given the relatively pathetic tongue/hitch weight limits (likely due to the soft rear springs).

Seems to me that the most cost effective option for towing is a Euro style folding goose-neck ball tow bar. Have to import from DE/PL/CZ, but it appears a touch more possible than something from AUS. I'm still working on sourcing a new or used tow bar, but they definitely seem to be around in larger quantities and have the same beefy design that replaces the rear crash bar. The other real benefit is the OEM-like integration with the trailer brake controller, install, etc. Rated to 4800 lbs (with trailer brake).

1654642061196.png
1654642130823.png
(towing neck folds up underneath rear bumper when not in use)

From my research, they can be found under 3 GM part numbers depending on the Tier 2 OEM mfg (all identical in function):

GM/Opel 39161610
GM/Opel 39168616
GM/Opel 39152907

the wiring harness needed to interface with the trailer brake controller is:
GM/Opel 39095546

Brake Controller:
GM/Opel 13597659

And the installation bracket for the controller:
GM/Opel 39108695

Install Instructions:

Attachments

• 1654642010655.png
    1654642010655.png
    928.2 KB · Views: 6
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
The receiver hitch is available here in New Zealand and Australia but be aware the hitch size is 50mm not 2". Both sizes are nominally the same but 50 mm is 1.97". It probably doesn't matter unless you want to swap the slide in hitch tube.

Be mindful that stated towing capacities may not reflect the car's or the towbar actual limits. The towing limits vary by the market where the vehicle is sold.

These guys have them for the wagon. Bit spendy though.

From what I've read, the wagon version fits through the bumper and the liftback comes from underneath.

There's also places in Australia with them too and probably a better price.

Like these guys.

Dont buy the tow bar on its own. You will need the ECU kit as far as I know, and probably that includes the connector. No doubt you can rewire to fit a different connector to suit your local requirements. Some sellers specify the ECU kit is included, some don't.

Also I understand the European goose neck fold away towbar aren't suitable for mounting bike racks. They've been known to break. If they're made of aluminium or cast iron Thule specifically don't allow their use.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Yeah like I said if you care about towing (and/or have a roof rack to mount bikes to) the euro hitch is definitely the path of least resistance in the US. It is also a strong enough design to meet EU crash standards as it replaces rear crash bar and comes with all mounting plates/excellent instructions. The goose neck is made of steel, not aluminum or cast iron.

The real advantage in my mind is the trailer light/brake controller integrated into the OEM ECM/BCM system and available GM harnesses for the wiring.

S is tongue weight and the "D" value is max dynamic load which can be used to find max tow weight where:
D = 9.81 × (T × C) ÷ (T + C)
T = Towing Vehicle Weight - GVW
C = Trailer Weight - GVW
9.81 = Gravity

1654891051185.png

So in this case the Euro/Opel tow bar should be good to tow a trailer with a gross weight of 3300 kg assuming 1800 kg gross vehicle weight. This is well above the 2200 kg tow rating the vehicle comes with.

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
Yes, no doubt the Opel hitch is excellent. The OP was asking about the Australian hitch, hence my response. My main points being they were available, that the through the bumper style were only for the wagon, the hitch tube was 50 mm not 2", stated towing capacities were arbitrary depending on country of sale.

Towing capacities vary by model for the Holden. It's 750 kg unbraked for all models, it's 1800 kg braked for to 2.0 L turbo and 2100 kg braked for the V6. I think you said your limit was 2200 kg which is different, though not by much, from any of the Holden figures. Which model is your 2200 kg limit for?

I thought I'd seen reference to the hitch being required to mount a bike rack, (perhaps that reference was in another thread) that's why I commented on the Euro hitch. I know there's been reports of them breaking or folding with bike racks attached here in New Zealand. I don't know whether they were steel, cast or aluminium.

SpacemanSpiff

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Fair enough! The AU hitch was definitely the first one I looked at and what I wanted for the car, but the only Holden/GM official parts I could find were in NZ and they wouldn't ship to the US. Perhaps I'm just a bit cross I wasn't able to find one for myself!

Not sure on how the AU/NZ regulations might change the tow ratings, I haven't looked into things too closely by model, but I was going off a few press pieces:

My only unknown/concern re: the euro tow bar is how successful I'll end up being with DIY'ing the SPS programming for the trailer brake controller/ECU stability control tow-mode/anti-sway.

As far as the bikes go, I've never seen a rack that can attach to a tow-ball. There doesn't seem to be any other mount points on the euro bar. I figured you need a hitch reciever for any bike rack. Either way I have roof rails/box so not too worried.

Yall got the RSV in wagon form AND the good tow bars, count me jealous!