Oil Burn

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
Any suggestions or advice on why my wife's '13 Verano seems to be burning too much oil? Just had it changed a couple months ago, oil life only at 75% and had to add about 1 1/2 qts yesterday. Non-turbo. No visible leaks, there are no oil spots on the pavement. It's just being burned off at what seems to be an accelerated rate.

Noticed a higher than normal burn on my '14 Regal as well, but not as bad and figured it was due to the turbo.

Not sure why my Buick's are going through soo much oil!!

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
have you actually looked at the underside of the engine and frame for signs of a leak?
did you check the oil level immediately after having it changed?

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
have you actually looked at the underside of the engine and frame for signs of a leak?
did you check the oil level immediately after having it changed?

Hi Mel,

Yes and yes. I looked on top and under the engine compartment for any signs of leaks and nothing. And yes, whenever I get the oil changed I always check as soon as I get home and the car cools down to see if the correct level is in there. I do that for all my cars.

I really just seems like it is burning through it at a higher than normal rate.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
Any suggestions or advice on why my wife's '13 Verano seems to be burning too much oil? Just had it changed a couple months ago, oil life only at 75% and had to add about 1 1/2 qts yesterday. Non-turbo. No visible leaks, there are no oil spots on the pavement. It's just being burned off at what seems to be an accelerated rate.

Noticed a higher than normal burn on my '14 Regal as well, but not as bad and figured it was due to the turbo.

You're not alone. I noticed about 4 months ago that my car was going through oil at a pretty good pace. I checked for leaks, etc and couldn't find anything either. It's seems it burns quicker above the 50% oil life than below it. I'm approaching 43K miles and fuel economy for city driving is 21 mpg which hardly fluctuates. I do get on it every now and then but I'll do some research on these engines to see if it's the norm.

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
You're not alone. I noticed about 4 months ago that my car was going through oil at a pretty good pace. I checked for leaks, etc and couldn't find anything either. It's seems it burns quicker above the 50% oil life than below it. I'm approaching 43K miles and fuel economy for city driving is 21 mpg which hardly fluctuates. I do get on it every now and then but I'll do some research on these engines to see if it's the norm.

Yep, wife just hit 45k on hers. No issues so far (knock on wood) other than seeing the oil burn. I check it frequently, so it's not that big of a deal, but I just want to make sure it's not leading to something bigger down the road.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Is the most recent oil fill a different brand from what you were using before?

I've had my Regal, with the same engine as yours, since Jan. 2014, with 4 oil changes at the dealer as part of the CPO program, 1 every 4500 miles (for me that's 6 months' driving). I checked the oil regularly, and the level on the dipstick never moved.

Fast forward to this January, when the 4 free OCs were used up. I purchased Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30, a dexos-rated synth, and had my regular mechanic of some 15 years change it. I checked the oil level, I'm sure, within a few hours of the change, and the level was fine. And it continued to be fine when I checked various times in January and February. Well, I let it slide for 2 months. On May 1 I checked, and the stick was dry! It took 2 quarts of Castrol 5W-30 to bring it up to full. So I burned 2 quarts in 2000 miles -- no leaks anywhere to be seen. I had the dealer swap it back to AC Delco oil in mid-May, and now, 1500 miles later, the oil level hasn't budged.

So, if you changed to a different oil, you might see some consumption. It's been known to happen.

Last edited:

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
Is the most recent oil fill a different brand from what you were using before?

I've had my Regal, with the same engine as yours, since Jan. 2014, with 4 oil changes at the dealer as part of the CPO program, 1 every 4500 miles (for me that's 6 months' driving). I checked the oil regularly, and the level on the dipstick never moved.

Fast forward to this January, when the 4 free OCs were used up. I purchased Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30, a dexos-rated synth, and had my regular mechanic of some 15 years change it. I checked the oil level, I'm sure, within a few hours of the change, and the level was fine. And it continued to be fine when I checked various times in January and February. Well, I let it slide for 2 months. On May 1 I checked, and the stick was dry! It took 2 quarts of Castrol 5W-30 to bring it up to full. So I burned 2 quarts in 2000 miles -- no leaks anywhere to be seen. I had the dealer swap it back to AC Delco oil on mid-May, and now, 1500 miles later, the oil level hasn't budged.

So, if you changed to a different oil, you might see some consumption. It's been known to happen.

That's an excellent point. Yes, My wife had a similar maintenance plan on her Verano and the latest oil change was not done by the dealer as it was in the past. Now using mobil1 dexos approved synthetic...not sure what the dealer was using actually.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
The dealer *probably* used GM's own AC Delco semi-synthetic oil. There are occasions when synthetic oil can reveal leaks that were hidden by deposits -- the synth can clean the deposits up, and the engine leaks. The synth didn't cause the leaks, it just revealed them. If you have only about 30K miles on your Verano, however, that's pretty early to have deposits.

I believe very strongly in the benefits of synthetic oil, but whenever I've tried it -- in the Regal, and in earlier cars -- it's never worked out well for me. Leaks or consumption happen that weren't happening before and which stopped after I switched back to a conventional or synthetic blend oil. Others, millions probably, have had no trouble at all.

You may want to go back to whatever oil the Verano had before, and see if the condition clears up, lessens, or worsens. Then you'll have some more symptoms to plug into your analysis.

MJ's V

Chicago
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 6AT
I'm still taking my car into the dealer for oil changes with it being a CPO car. Once that's over I will inquire about what oil they recommend which is probably the AC Delco brand that you mentioned. I prefer the synthetic blend and will probably use that after the free oil changes dry up.

Maverick7

Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2012 Buick Verano Premium 2.4L has been experiencing oil consumption just a little before the 10,000 km mark. I have been always cautious about it, but would always just top up and make sure i put the best 5W30 Full Synthetic oil In (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum), Shell's V-Power Premium Gas and changed oil at 6,000 km intervals regardless what the oil life monitor % says. Even went as far to changed all 4 Spark Plugs at 50,000 km just for fun and the old Spark plugs looked fantastic with little black on them when removed. Now as of early September 2016, I enrolled the vehicle in the GM Oil Consumption Program because I only have one year left on Power-train Warranty and Bump to Bump Warranty has just expired as of August 2016. Further more i decided enough was enough, my oil is to expensive and Power-train warranty is gonna expire next year this cant be normal and could cost me money later on down the road. 1500 km into the oil consumption test, i'm down close to 1 quart, not looking good as i heard GM's normal rate acceptable ratio is 1.25 L every 3200 km. Well by the looks of it as its going this far, i will be passing the 1.25 L in 3200 km acceptable ratio. Please note, car has only 53,000 km to date and does not leak oil, no blue smoke or excessive smoke, under carriage is flawless and runs like the first day i got it even better. Minus the oil problem :( . The tail pipe stainless steel piece always has heavy black soot and it spits black water on the garage floor. i have never had a car be like this. i'm no mechanic but the oil is obviously getting burned out through here and its evident. Check and monitor your oil people cause i don't think its just my car, i bet you its a lot of Verano's 2012-2016 2.4 L out there its just i own and baby my car and pay close attention. Enroll your Verano in the program just to be safe, you'll thank me if you own this vehicle outright!! Any Thoughts??

Last edited:

DonnaHartley

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
There are some brake oil cleaners are available that you can buy, the stain that has been deeply fixed in your driveway, brake oil cleaner will help you to remove it without having to replace that portion of the surface. But, if you want, you can also hire a driveway maintenance contractor who can also provide you with the best services that extend the life expectancy of your driveway. Like, my husband got brake fluid and oil on our pavers in the driveway so on the suggestion of our neighbor we had hired http://ramasphaltny.com/sealing-and-patching/ who had offered us with a routine maintenance to help us to remove the brake fluid and oil and also provided us paving repair services.

G-572567

found out that GM was aware of piston ring issues that cause excess burning. if the vehicle was under warranty it should have been addressed, otherwise, the consumer is stuck

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
found out that GM was aware of piston ring issues that cause excess burning. if the vehicle was under warranty it should have been addressed, otherwise, the consumer is stuck
Well, the Verano now has 88k on it and running well, however I continue to check/fill the oil almost weekly. No leaks that I can see and no drips under the car on the ground, it really seems to continue to just burn rapidly. I don't get it, but it's a 2013 and way out of any warranty so I'll just continue to maintain and hope it runs as it has been for a long time to come.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
Sounds like another or at least an interconnected part of the problem with the 2.4L engines as G-572567 posted. Makes me wonder if there will ever be a 2.4L to 2L engine swap thread on this forum.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Be mindful, as on other posts of the similar issues, that if oil isn't coming out of a mechanical area it's going out the exhaust which may hamper the catalytic converter and eventually the vehicle's operating performance.

G-523936

Try using Liqui Moly motor oil saver (just read Amazon reviews) with next oil change...it's supposed to be life changing for piston issues causing oil burn in German cars...esp BMW, Mercedes and Porsche...worth a shot...I swear by their products...if that works Ceratec would be my next go to additive to re create the coating and lessen or stop the burning

Buickguy123

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Very interesting. I'm going to research it. Thanks!
Sadly a Google search on that years 2.4 engine has a bad history of oil burn. GM is a stupid company. Mistake after mistake. There is a reason Toyota and Honda got big! They GM are now just a Chinese company or cutting themselves out of business? Ford too? Look at Hyundai go! Now they are going to start making electric cars I read...in big numbers...the global warming hoax? More repairs means more money for dealers I suppose?

alphabets

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
Sadly a Google search on that years 2.4 engine has a bad history of oil burn. GM is a stupid company. Mistake after mistake. There is a reason Toyota and Honda got big! They GM are now just a Chinese company or cutting themselves out of business? Ford too? Look at Hyundai go! Now they are going to start making electric cars I read...in big numbers...the global warming hoax? More repairs means more money for dealers I suppose?
My wife and I moved much, much closer to my wife's place of work. She currently has about 88k on the engine and the car is in great shape. We really take care of our cars. The 88k is all highway. For the past year and going forward, she will put about 3k on the car every year. Again, we drastically cut down her travel time. I check the oil weekly and obviously have not seen anywhere near the burn-off that we did previously. Although I think we will be fine going forward, it shouldn't take moving to figure out a solution to your engine oil issues. Ha.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!