• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

oil capacity on a 2015 regal gs fwd????

drummn22

Buick Ownership
2015 Regal GS
I have read 5.0 US qt..... I have read 6.3 US qt...... What the hell! Some buick literature reads 5.0, some reads 6.3 for FWD! Which is it?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The info I posted was from the owners manual, but it's always best to check the dipstick level to get it right. My AWD Regal takes 6 quarts and that puts it over the full mark on the dipstick.

ken4

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal Turbo Premium 2 FWD
I ran into the same thing. Dealer made sure the dipstick was the correct one and made some calls. In the end they say fill it according to the dip stick. For me about 5.5 quarts for FWD. I had a 2013 (different engine) FWD that took 6 quarts.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Like others have said, 5 for FWD, 6 for AWD. On my AWD 6 quarts put it over the full mark so I drained a half quart out and it put the level right below the full mark. As long as you’re in the cross hatches you’re good, it doesn’t have to be right at the F.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I snapped some pics of my AWD dipstick on the right and my wife's FWD dipstick on the left and mine is definitely longer in length. BUT as you can see in the pics the crosshatch and full marks are almost even, which is probably why the AWD dipstick reads over the full mark with 6 quarts of oil.

What's odd is how the lengths of the crosshatch are different. If the AWD crosshatch was extended to the length of the FWD crosshatch that would be the level where 6 quarts would come to. 20190812_205834.jpg20190812_210111.jpg

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
drummn22 said he put 5.5 quarts in his FWD to bring it to the full mark. It seems 5.5 quarts in the AWD will bring it to the full mark also, which makes sense because the crosshatches are practically in the same spot on the 2 dipsticks. So going by the owners manual you should put 6 quarts in the AWD (which I have done for 70,000 miles) and 5 quarts in the FWD and disregard the dipstick because they are both wrong.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The guy doesn't believe what the owners manual says.
Oh well what does GM know, they only build cars. :ohmy:

Dewayne5

Buick Ownership
Buck Regal CXL 6MT Active
Not true..... Sorry.
I missread the title and skipped the part of 2015. As LHU engines go the capacity is 6 for turbo 5 for none turbo. My guess is they made the oil pan smaller on the AWD models to accommodate the drive shaft. Which makes me also wonder if the awd versions are doing all of the failing around here.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The AWD Regal has a front wheel drive transmission with the rear drive shaft coming out of the rear of the trans so there isn't a driveshaft under the oil pan. I found one LTG that had piston failure in the link below (post #23) but he has a FWD so it's not just AWD cars that are failing.

Possible Piston failure

In this thread there were a lot of piston failures but it doesn't say if they were FWD or AWD cars.

LTG piston and turbo failure...anyone else?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
My previous 2015 Regal FWD with turbo routinely had 6 quarts added by the dealer at the two free oil changes and both times was 1 quart overfilled.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
I missread the title and skipped the part of 2015. As LHU engines go the capacity is 6 for turbo 5 for none turbo. My guess is they made the oil pan smaller on the AWD models to accommodate the drive shaft. Which makes me also wonder if the awd versions are doing all of the failing around here.
This makes zero sense even if it was true. The AWD calls for 6qts so why would it have a smaller oil pan?
The piston issues were caused by a few things. Poor quality pistons being one, low speed pre ignition being another. The theory is that oil particles were entering the combustion chamber via the PCV, igniting and causing LSPI. This is why GM now requires low calcium oils.

MKz2017PremII

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II AWD Turbo
The info I posted was from the owners manual, but it's always best to check the dipstick level to get it right. My AWD Regal takes 6 quarts and that puts it over the full mark on the dipstick.
I agree w the dipstick final check method. I bring in a case (6 pack) of Mobil1 full syn for my AWD and that seems to level out at 100% every time, no issues.

ken4

Buick Ownership
When I question the dealer about the 5 or 6 quart capacities they got back with me later in the day and told me the listed oil capacities were listed as approximate. They even got me a new dipstick and it read the same.

ken4

Buick Ownership
I snapped some pics of my AWD dipstick on the right and my wife's FWD dipstick on the left and mine is definitely longer in length. BUT as you can see in the pics the crosshatch and full marks are almost even, which is probably why the AWD dipstick reads over the full mark with 6 quarts of oil.

What's odd is how the lengths of the crosshatch are different. If the AWD crosshatch was extended to the length of the FWD crosshatch that would be the level where 6 quarts would come to. View attachment 17677View attachment 17678
You guys got me going on this again so I went and pulled the dipstick on my 2016 2.0 turbo FWD and it looks like the AWD dipstick pictured here. The part number on my dipstick is 12654077 and I looked the number up on a GM parts site and it is the correct part number for my car. I looked up the part number of the pictured dipstick 12654314 on the left and it says that the pictured stick is for a 2014 to 2017 2.0 turbo AWD. My car is close to an oil change so I will look at things again. May be it is 5 quarts with out the oil filter. One good thing is that my car has gone 4,000 miles and the oil level did not go down.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
It seems like GM really screwed up when they produced dipsticks for the FWD and AWD Regals. Oil is one of the most important things for the motor and it's very critical to make sure you have the correct amount. But it seems some of the dealers can't even get the oil to the proper level because of this dipstick fiasco.

Pedal Commander