Oil filter options

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Ordered 4 jugs of Mobil 1 and 4 Mobil1 filters thru Walmart.com ...about $140 with $68 rebate available.
Went on Amazon this morning and AC Delco Pf64 went from $6.18 to $3.08 as a add on item.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Walmart usually has good prices on the ACDelco filters regularly. $3/filter sounds right.

I also like to pick up the box of 6 1qt bottles when I can find that for sale for around $28 too.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Walmart usually has good prices on the ACDelco filters regularly. $3/filter sounds right.

I also like to pick up the box of 6 1qt bottles when I can find that for sale for around $28 too.
Walmart and Amazon lowered price on pf64, both were over $6 both cut price in half.
Costco knocks $10 off six pack mobil1 when coupon deal to about $28. Rebate deal cuts price to about $12 for 6 quarts.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Although I can't recall off hand what oil is used I've never found it cost/time effective to change my own oil. The raw materials usually are around $33 plus your time when I can go to my usual spot and pay $35 and be in and out in 10 min with them checking tire pressure, checking fluid levels, checking air filter, topping off my washer fluid and vacuuming my floors....

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Although I can't recall off hand what oil is used I've never found it cost/time effective to change my own oil. The raw materials usually are around $33 plus your time when I can go to my usual spot and pay $35 and be in and out in 10 min with them checking tire pressure, checking fluid levels, checking air filter, topping off my washer fluid and vacuuming my floors....
Where do you get this 1985 service rate? 😂

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
A place across town from me with a $5 off coupon that I always use by pulling up their website 😁... They are the best. Pretty much everyone I know only goes there now off of my recommendation.

Keep in mind this is conventional oil... Full synthetic I believe is like $50ish

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
It's about myself getting under the car and checking things that I like about it. Also just being able to do it on my own time. It's not necessarily a cost thing for me.
Ah.... Makes sense... Got to be one with your car 😉

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I think Walmart oil changes range from $20 most basic, to $50 for 5 qts full syn oil.
When I went in to Earnhardt Buick GMC Saturday with my own oil and filter, the service writer said labor was $30.
I said you guys had been charging me $15 ...and they said ok, but still added $3 for shop supply stuff.
Can not complain about the service, getting both cars done for me... and putting up with my BS.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Since PF 64 price reduced by half....by Amazon and Walmart I ordered one for $3.08 on Amazon, with dogfood for free shipping.
Will not buy the Mobil1 filters... rebate or not, since per unit cost is higher.

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
doing your own oil changes gets you to know your car. I have never had a dealer do what I could do! plus you get to see what is going on! I can tell you horror stories about what mechanics have missed!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have not done oil change in a while but need to get TA fluids changed, so will do it myself. Dam it has been 20 years since 99, need to change diff and tranny fluid even with limited miles. Gonna change all hoses and low coolant sensor.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I pay less than $25 for synthetic oil and a filter, so it's half the cost of having the oil changed by a shop. I would never put conventional oil in my turbo powered car, synthetic oil is so much better at lubricating the internal engine parts. It has better shear strength and won't break down as quickly under high engine temps.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I pay less than $25 for synthetic oil and a filter, so it's half the cost of having the oil changed by a shop. I would never put conventional oil in my turbo powered car, synthetic oil is so much better at lubricating the internal engine parts. It has better shear strength and won't break down as quickly under high engine temps.
Well perhaps you could share what oil you use and where you get 6 quarts so cheap?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
How does that Super tech hold up for you in the 2.0? I know some engines are partial to certain oils for some reason and don't know much about the LTG.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Here's an oil analysis of supertech synthetic in the link below. As you can see everything looks fine after 7500 miles and the lab said he could run it safely for 9500 miles. The TBN (total base number) is 1.9 and that indicates the additives are still present in the supertech oil.

The oil’s function is to lubricate, clean, and cool the engine. Additives are added to the oil to enhance those functions. The TBN will start out reading in the 6.0 to 14.0 range (depending on the oil and whether it’s meant for gas or diesel engines). When you first start using the oil, the TBN tends to drop sharply. Then it levels out and drops more slowly after that. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Here's an oil analysis of supertech synthetic in the link below. As you can see everything looks fine after 7500 miles and the lab said he could run it safely for 9500 miles. The TBN (total base number) is 1.9 and that indicates the additives are still present in the supertech oil.

[/URL]

The oil’s function is to lubricate, clean, and cool the engine. Additives are added to the oil to enhance those functions. The TBN will start out reading in the 6.0 to 14.0 range (depending on the oil and whether it’s meant for gas or diesel engines). When you first start using the oil, the TBN tends to drop sharply. Then it levels out and drops more slowly after that. The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower.
Kinda sounds like it'd be best to stick with 5K intervals if you want maximum performance