Oil in Coolant

02LeSabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
I've seen posts on other websites where a few others had the same problems I'm having, but never heard what they might have found to be causing these issues.
I have a 2002 Lesabre, and about a month ago I changed the oil & tranny fluid, and also put in a transgo kit.
Since the antifreeze hadn't been changed in a couple of years, I decided to do it a few days ago, but found a film of oil in the radiator & overflow tank. Of course I immediately checked the oil which was still clean but over a quart low. I saw no sign of coolant in the oil. I also checked the trans fluid which was still bright red, clear and at the full mark. The car's never used much oil, much less a quart in under 600 miles.
A couple years ago I also replaced the upper intake manifold with the new improved Dorman manifold, and a new Felpro LIM aluminum gasket.
My Autel MX808 showed no error codes, but I did notice that the onboard data showed that my oil pressure was up to 75 PSI.
I ordered a new ATP Automotive Graywerks 106001 upper manifold kit, and another new LIM gasket, but then realized that the oil pressure at the LIM is normally extremely low, so I can't imagine that the intake manifolds would pass oil into the coolant. If anything, it seems like the radiator pressure would put water in the oil, not oil in the water.
I realize that normal pressure out of the oil pump is far higher than the cooling system, but can't figure out what failing gasket or other part of the engine would cause oil under pressure to find a path to into the coolant, but not vice versa. I believe the oil pressure at 75PSI is higher than normal, but I can't seem to find my repair manual.
As far as I know, at 200,000+ miles the water pump has never been replaced, and wonder if there is an oil galley open to the water pump at the gasket?
Can anyone else think of a reason why the oil pressure is so high, or where that increase in oil pressure might blow oil into the cooling system?
I'm getting worried.

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
I've seen posts on other websites where a few others had the same problems I'm having, but never heard what they might have found to be causing these issues.
I have a 2002 Lesabre, and about a month ago I changed the oil & tranny fluid, and also put in a transgo kit.
Since the antifreeze hadn't been changed in a couple of years, I decided to do it a few days ago, but found a film of oil in the radiator & overflow tank. Of course I immediately checked the oil which was still clean but over a quart low. I saw no sign of coolant in the oil. I also checked the trans fluid which was still bright red, clear and at the full mark. The car's never used much oil, much less a quart in under 600 miles.
A couple years ago I also replaced the upper intake manifold with the new improved Dorman manifold, and a new Felpro LIM aluminum gasket.
My Autel MX808 showed no error codes, but I did notice that the onboard data showed that my oil pressure was up to 75 PSI.
I ordered a new ATP Automotive Graywerks 106001 upper manifold kit, and another new LIM gasket, but then realized that the oil pressure at the LIM is normally extremely low, so I can't imagine that the intake manifolds would pass oil into the coolant. If anything, it seems like the radiator pressure would put water in the oil, not oil in the water.
I realize that normal pressure out of the oil pump is far higher than the cooling system, but can't figure out what failing gasket or other part of the engine would cause oil under pressure to find a path to into the coolant, but not vice versa. I believe the oil pressure at 75PSI is higher than normal, but I can't seem to find my repair manual.
As far as I know, at 200,000+ miles the water pump has never been replaced, and wonder if there is an oil galley open to the water pump at the gasket?
Can anyone else think of a reason why the oil pressure is so high, or where that increase in oil pressure might blow oil into the cooling system?
I'm getting worried.
Try replacing ops. When u did lim, did u put sealer on each of the corners, thread sealer on bolts? Just pray it's not a head gasket.

Last edited:

02LeSabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
Try replacing ops. When u did lim, did u put sealer on each of the corners, thread sealer on bolts? Just pray it's not a head gasket.
Yeah I did put Silicon sealer at the corners & I haven't seen any leakage there. I really don't know if I put sealer on the threads last time or not. If I didn't, wouldn't that just allow oil into the intake? I haven't seen any smoke out of the tailpipe, but plenty into the coolant.
I can't think of any way to test if there is a break in the head gasket between the an oil passage & a water jacket, although it seems like I would get water in the oil instead of oil in the water.
I wish I knew if there was pressurized oil to any of the LIM bolts. In that case, I could see how a leak in the LIM gasket between a bolt hole & a water jacket could cause oil in the cooling system.
I was looking at the back of a timing cover hoping that the oil pump might have an oil passage right next to a water jacket, but it doesn't look like it would be possible....Unless my timing cover is different, but then the block would also have to be different too, so I doubt it.
I just hope it isn't a head gasket! Speaking of heads....my brain hurts!!

Frampton

Buick Ownership
Yeah I did put Silicon sealer at the corners & I haven't seen any leakage there. I really don't know if I put sealer on the threads last time or not. If I didn't, wouldn't that just allow oil into the intake? I haven't seen any smoke out of the tailpipe, but plenty into the coolant.
I can't think of any way to test if there is a break in the head gasket between the an oil passage & a water jacket, although it seems like I would get water in the oil instead of oil in the water.
I wish I knew if there was pressurized oil to any of the LIM bolts. In that case, I could see how a leak in the LIM gasket between a bolt hole & a water jacket could cause oil in the cooling system.
I was looking at the back of a timing cover hoping that the oil pump might have an oil passage right next to a water jacket, but it doesn't look like it would be possible....Unless my timing cover is different, but then the block would also have to be different too, so I doubt it.
Yeah, these issues suck! You may be looking at a re-teardown and go over everything again. Sorry.

02LeSabre

Buick Ownership
Buick
Sorry, I didn't mean that there was smoke in the coolant, but plenty of oil. Oh BTW I just happened to think that when I checked the oil pressure the engine was cold, so that may be why the oil pressure was 75 PSI...I hope.

Frampton

Buick Ownership
Sorry, I didn't mean that there was smoke in the coolant, but plenty of oil. Oh BTW I just happened to think that when I checked the oil pressure the engine was cold, so that may be why the oil pressure was 75 PSI...I hope.
75psi when cold at idle? I'd tear it all down again and inspect. Sucks!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!