Oil Leak

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Just joined the Buick family by purchasing a new to me 2013 LaCrosse. My wife got home before me tonight and commented that there was oil on the floor (only parked in the garage one night). Upon returning home, it was indeed the Buick marking it's turf. The oil seems to originate around or near the filter, but there is a lot of oil. I plan to contact the dealership in the morning, but am seeking guidance for piece of mind tonight. Can someone confirm if this looks like the filter was loose, causing this mess or should I be looking into other causes? 20190109_180051.jpg 20190109_180107.jpg 20190109_180122.jpg

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Was the oil/filter recently changed before this leak occurred? It looks like the oil filter housing seal was not replaced, or not installed properly. Some filters come with a new housing gasket, while others do not.

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Any knowledge or receipt for the recent oil change and who did it?? That last oil/filter change seems to be the problem!

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
That's been leaking awhile for sure I'd say. May be why car was for sale? Yes, could be loose, doubled gaskets on filter (1 old stuck & new filter), no gasket at all. Also know of loose drain plugs being an issue.

Probably most of that has blown back all over motor from driving down road. Rear seal, well motor is in sideways but looks as leak has well distributed the oil film.

Don't put it off having checked, could destroy entire engine if something lets go further. Other possibility is valve cover or oil pan gasket(s) not tight and oil dripping down from top of engine, would have to look. Let us know?

Last edited:
Thread starter #10
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
I will be calling the dealer first thing this morning and might even take time off from work to get it looked at today as opposed to waiting until tomorrow. I'm just angry with myself that I didn't notice this during the test drive. I'm also questioning the dealer because I believe they performed the most recent oil change and if it has leaked for a while, they obviously neglected to disclose the information. Whether it's a minor problem with an easy fix or something more substantial, I'm hoping the small town dealer does the right thing and either takes care of it on their dime, or let's me return the car.

I will update as it develops.

Thread starter #12
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
The dealer called first thing this morning and their mechanic is fairly confident it is the filter canister cover or o-ring. I inquired if I should bring it in this morning (the dealership is 15 miles east and I work 35 miles west of home) to which they said, keep an eye on the oil and bring it in when it's most convenient. I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. The salesman has led me to believe that they will make it right, and if it something bigger than they anticipate, that they will have a loaner for me to use while they fix it. Hopefully it's minor and fixed by tomorrow afternoon!

Buick Ownership
Buick
There was a "service campaign" for some (not all) eAssist engines due to clogged PCV piping. That would blow a crankshaft rear oil seal, for example.

Take a picture of the top of your engine and post it here.

Does it look like this (with the big air duct at the bottom)

I think the "revised" airduct is this big piece

Maybe the problematic engine is diagramed below with the small PCV tubing? (not sure this diagram is relevant):

Special Coverage Adjustment - Plugged PCV Orifice in Intake Manifold - 2010-2014 Buick Chevrolet GMC

I suspect GM used different PCV piping as my eAssist has a big air box rather than the small piping in the "service campaign" link. I'm not 100% clear on this. This post has a few links that get you started.

2013 LaCrosse Tune up tips? eAssist 2.4L

Thread starter #15
Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
I was able to bring the car into the dealer on Friday and they replaced the canister o-ring and rinsed under the hood with some degreaser. They didn't think to wash the underside of the car, so there was still a drop or two of oil this morning when I left for work. The 40 mile commute confirmed the dealers thoughts in that when I checked under the hood after getting to work, the engine compartment was nice and shiny! I plan to hit up the car wash after work to get some of the underside oil off and can hopefully get it into the Father-in-law's shop this weekend to get any last remnants cleaned up.

Thankfully a small problem with a quick fix!

Now here's to hoping for 200,000 miles from the Buick!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.