• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Oil life remaining

verano4u

Canada
Buick Ownership
2012 Verano - Cyber Gray
Well at 2500 km on the car, the computer shows that it has 90% oil life remaining. The manual recommends checking the oil at 7500 miles or 12,000 km and change it if it requires it. At the rate the my oil life is going, I should theoretically be able to run it to 25,000 km before it will read 0 % oil life remaining. WOW. :cool:

I assume the oil life will not last 25,000 km, but I see no reason why it will not be able to easily surpass 12,000 km. The car comes with a synthetic oil blend from the factory. Once I change my oil and put in pure synthetic, the oil life should increase notably. :D

Anybody else getting this great oil life?

:cheers:

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Once I change my oil and put in pure synthetic, the oil life should increase notably. :D Anybody else getting this great oil life?
I've had my oil changed 3 times so far in my LaCrosse (I have 12,000 miles on the odo). I give my dealer Mobil1 EP oil & filter (15,000 mile full syn oil), but I'm pretty sure the OLM (oil life monitor) is not going to change when it thinks your oil is due to be changed because of a better quality oil. I'm under the impression that the car uses some formula of distance driven, temperatures, stops, starts, or whatever to determine when it thinks the oil has been degraded to the point of needing a change. What's too bad is that I don't believe it actually has any way of testing the oil to know if it's actually wearing out or not. I think it just basically decides if you've driven hard and long enough based on it's algorithms.

So... I'm sticking 6 quarts of $8 oil and a $12 filter & $14 worth of labor into my car only to have it tell me that's still due to be changed in the same amount of time as any other oil. Since OnStar and the dealer can see what the OLM says I've just been taking the car in when it due (early actually, usually with about 25% life left) so I won't ever run into any warranty claim issue if some engine problem were to develop and they can show that I have ignored the car's recommended OLM frequency.

Despite this, I'm ok with the higher cost of the oil as I know my car has superior protection (in case I decide to make this car a lifetime keeper). Between the high quality oil and pre-required change intervals I'm thinking my engine should be as happy as can be.

My wife has done a lot of in-town driving and the OLM went down very quickly (under 3,000 miles). Conversely, we did a 6,000 mile Vegas road trip and the OLM only came down about 50% over the entire trip length.

Here's some more info on how the OLM works.

Carleen

Buick Ownership
Buick
I like your nickname "VERN" Thanks for the info I have had my VERN for 19 days and I've have driving a 134 miles so far. So who know what year I will have to change my oil.

longislander

LI, NY
Buick Ownership
'15 Encore Premium FWD White Pearl/Saddle (wife's car)
I like your nickname "VERN" Thanks for the info I have had my VERN for 19 days and I've have driving a 134 miles so far. So who know what year I will have to change my oil.
Which model did you get and what exterior/interior color combo ?

Snoopy

Nova Scotia
Buick Ownership
Verano
My car has 5300 KM on it and oil life is at 73%. Usage is approximately 2000 KM highway and the remainder is mostly 12 KM country drives to the golf course. Very little city driving.

Carleen

Buick Ownership
Buick
I went with the FWD ISG model it has more then I need. Mine is Quicksilver with Medium Titanium interior. When I did my research on youtube I noticed that silver seem to be very popular on most sites. I also like that the chrome blends with this color and I'm hopping it won't show the dirt that much.

longislander

LI, NY
Buick Ownership
'15 Encore Premium FWD White Pearl/Saddle (wife's car)
I went with the FWD ISG model it has more then I need. Mine is Quicksilver with Medium Titanium interior. When I did my research on youtube I noticed that silver seem to be very popular on most sites. I also like that the chrome blends with this color and I'm hopping it won't show the dirt that much.
My wife's Verano is also the 1SG Convenience Group in Summit White/Cashmere.
I just checked her odometer - 1701 miles and 74% oil life.

Frank827

Buick Ownership
Buick
Oil life is irrelevant. Your oil filter is full of contaminants at about 3000-4000 miles and can no longer do an adequate job of cleaning your oil. The dirty oil that is now circulating in your engine is causing excessive wear. My dealer refers to me as one of the 3000 mile guys.