Oil pressure reads 130

imidazol97

Top Dog
Clicking through the DIC readout on my 2003 today I saw the oil pressure said 130 but the word next to it said Normal.

With the engine off the pressure reads 0. One restart it said 129 instead of 130.

Engine sounds fine.

Is this likely a pressure sensor or sender? I'll check the connections at the sender above the oil filter later today.

RoadBuck

Buick Ownership
2001 Buick LeSabre
Clicking through the DIC readout on my 2003 today I saw the oil pressure said 130 but the word next to it said Normal.

With the engine off the pressure reads 0. One restart it said 129 instead of 130.

Engine sounds fine.

Is this likely a pressure sensor or sender? I'll check the connections at the sender above the oil filter later today.

My friend has a 3.8 engine with a factory "Supercharger" on it..his reads 130 lbs pressure all the time..its because of the supercharger and thats normal on his.....Is your's supercharged??

2000 LESABRE

WINONA MS
Buick Ownership
Buick
Not unless he installed a supercharger a 2003 lesabre does come stock with a supercharger. I think your stressing out about something thats normal actually it should rise up and down with the rpm's

stuzman

Engine sounds fine.

Yes, you are correct that 130psi is not normal. Ive had this happen twice to my 2000 Buick LeSabre and the pressure in both cases was 130psi. The culprit is the oil pressure sending unit located above the oil filter. Once you replace it, you'll see the pressure come down to around 60psi while on the highway.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Yes, you are correct that 130psi is not normal. Ive had this happen twice to my 2000 Buick LeSabre and the pressure in both cases was 130psi. The culprit is the oil pressure sending unit located above the oil filter. Once you replace it, you'll see the pressure come down to around 60psi while on the highway.
Correct, the sending unit problem is common due to the small orifice (1/8-in) which can become clogged with small debris. Fortunately, it is not expensive to replace.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Can this oil pressure sensor be changed without removing the oil filter?

It looks lilke I can get a medium crescent wrench on it. Is there much oil behind it if I can do it without removing the filter? I assume removing the filter dumps all the oil from above.

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
It will leak oil when removed, so just put a drip pan under it to catch the oil. I never had to remove the filter.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
If your oil pressure was really 130 psi, I think it might blow the filter apart. I have a hard time believing that debris would cause this. I'm thinking it is just a malfunctioning sending unit, or a stuck pressure relief valve.. My Riviera has an idiot light. I used a brass tee to run both the light, and an Autometer 2 1/8" mechanical gauge. Cold oil pressure never goes above 70 psi. When fully warmed up, oil pressure is 63 psi at 1000 RPM. It never goes below about 32 psi at idle in gear. This is with Amsoil 5W/30. The supercharger has nothing to do with oil pressure.

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
When you remove the old pressure sensor, insert a paper clip in the orifice and see if you find small particles of debris. Move the paper clip up & down while checking to help loosen the clogged orifice. Do not reuse the old sending unit, even if cleaned, it will not work. I have replaced many of these for the same reason.

dg_da

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thinking I might have an oil problem with my 2000 LeSabre, I watched the oil psi closely on my recent long drive. About 55 psi at idle; interstate highway speeds, 65-67 psi with tach at 2000 in drive; 75 psi with tach at 3000 going down a very long 5% grade downshifted to "3".

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
Thinking I might have an oil problem with my 2000 LeSabre, I watched the oil psi closely on my recent long drive. About 55 psi at idle; interstate highway speeds, 65-67 psi with tach at 2000 in drive; 75 psi with tach at 3000 going down a very long 5% grade downshifted to "3".

Why do you think you have a problem?

imidazol97

Top Dog
I found a time to change the oil pressure sender. I did have to take off the oil filter. I was tempted to put the same one back on, but didn't.

The larger adjustable wrench would slide between the housing after moving a fraction of the way to tighten more. Then I flipped the wrench and tightened another fraction of a turn. After the initial loosening channel locks might have been easier.

Getting the snap loose for the electrical connection was tricky.

HotZ28:
I did not find any particles inside the opening with a toothpick. It looked very clean, in fact. I've always used good oils and synthetics lately. I couldn't vibrate any particles out by tapping it on the countertop.

I guess the thing just died. Oil pressure now shows 65 at startup in a 55 degree attached garage.

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
You probably just had a bad sensor, but there could still be small debris in the orifice. If you still have the sensor, try using a can of brake cleaner (with the small straw adapter inserted in the spray nozzle) then stick the straw nozzle down into the sensor opening. Wrap the whole unit with clean paper towels before pressing the nozzle. Spray the brake cleaner for a few seconds and see what comes out into the towels.

dg_da

Buick Ownership
Buick
Larry70GS, I thought the oil level might not be right as I had done a recent oil change. So I was carefully monitoring the oil PSI. My oil was a bit low but nothing critical. All of the PSI readings I listed were Normal on the DIC.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
Larry70GS, I thought the oil level might not be right as I had done a recent oil change. So I was carefully monitoring the oil PSI. My oil was a bit low but nothing critical. All of the PSI readings I listed were Normal on the DIC.

Looks normal to me too. The oil pump on a 3800 is excellent.

Shadycheeba

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2000,2002 lesabre
hello,i have a 2000 lesabre (190,000 miles)and as long as I remember at least 4-5 years my oil pressure always read 129 and does not fluctuate.
I never thought much of it until i noticed on my 02 lesabre (43,000 miles) that oil pressure fluctuates a little around 35-70 depending what I'm doing.
I'm guessing the 02 is correct but my 2000 needs the oil sending unit? so I take the oil filter off and its right above it?:confused:

Glenn W

SE WI
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
With the rt. front corner raised and a jack stand for safety, I just pulled the plastic wheel well flap at the front and used a std. 1"-1-1/16" size psi sending unit socket. #AC653 is the Autocraft number (AutoZone) .
I had the oil filter off because it was easier and you don't lose much oil. I do think the idea of some little smutch of debris blocking the orfice is a rarity bordering on urban legend. It would have to completely block the pressure of the oil from pushing against the transducer. If your psi reading never changes, the sending unit is bad, the wiring bad or the signal processing is bad. A tiny piece of debris could restrict an opening and act as a damper and slow down CHANGES in the readings, but seriously, how would it give a warm car 130+ psi readings?

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom

Engine sounds fine.

What ever happened with ur oil pressure sensor? My car has the EXACT same thing goin on. Noticed it today. Did u replace the switch? Did it fix it?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!