• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

OnStar announcement - connected to limited services

FavaBean

DE
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I've owned my TourX for over a year now and cancelled my OnStar subscription when the new car free trial was over.

Today, for the first time ever.. the car gave a loud audible notification in a female voice:

This vehicle is connected to OnStar with limited services

It was rather startling and frankly annoying. It also happened right after a startup where I thought the startup chimes were louder than usual.

I'm not concerned that I've somehow been activated with OnStar. But I am concerned that this nuisance will continue on a regular basis. (The subsequent startup did not have this announcement nor the louder-than-usual chime)

I'm wondering if this is a new thing. Has anyone received this notification and how often does it occur?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
2019 Regal GS
Did any of you recently receive the OTA update? Is it possible the update jogged the system memory after the reboot?

FavaBean

DE
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I don't recall getting a message saying my system was updated.

I have a red needle. I thought the updates are targeting issues on the white needles. Would red needles get pushed the OTA update? How can I check what version I have (I thought someone posted how, but sorry I can't find it).

I've manually tried to update the software. It tells me I have the latest software but won't state
what version I have.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Must be something specific to the 2018.5 and up vehicles. If it were 'universal' I'm sure other Buick users on this forum would have chimed-in, and doing an internet search for '"vehicle is connected to OnStar with limited services" message', only a few results show-up, and nothing in 2019.

(And no, my car didn't get any message.)😁

Red_X

2018 TourX Preferred Sport Red/Shale - red needle
No message for this red-needler.

JBRock

Medina, OH
2020 black Regal GS
Question - if you don't pay for the on board phone and the data plan for the on board Wi Fi, how can you get "an update"? Like how does it transmit if your "not connected " so to speak ??

Idano

Preferred Red Needle TourX
Question - if you don't pay for the on board phone and the data plan for the on board Wi Fi, how can you get "an update"? Like how does it transmit if your "not connected " so to speak ??
Onstar is always watching you. It's like "The Terminator", the last thing to shut down when the battery dies is Onstar.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Even if you're not paying for OnStar service, they would still want the unit to maintain the ability for you to change your mind & press the blue button. I have also heard of them providing an e-mail vehicle status report after the free service period has expired. As far as pushing software updates, I'm reasonably sure it's cheaper for them to pay AT & T for some bandwidth than it is to reimburse dealers for time & labour not to mention making it easier for the customer to avoid making an appointment for service. As Idano suggests, it's always there, just waiting for the first sign of weakness...

TourXRDU

Regal TourX
I get email vehicle status reports every month. Never subscribed to OnStar and never will.

Ctrcbob

Regal Tour-X
My other two cars are Hyundai Sonatas. Came with Blue Link, their version of OnStar. I had then UNSUBSCRIBE me, even though it was FREE. They did not want to do it. (It’s FREE) but I told them to go pound salt. So far, I have not tried to unsubscribe from OnStar, only because I must have OnStar if I want “Traffic Link” (Red Yellow Green lines on map). All my other cars offer Traffic Link through SXM, but General Motors does not allow it except through OnStar.

landsharkmz3

A couple have said it right...

The vehicle is always connecting and flowing data for their benefit. They want you to pay if you want it to be useful to you.

OTA updates are a cost reduction. Its faster and cheaper than calling all cars back to dealerships and paying them to update it under R&A costs.

Ctrcbob

Regal Tour-X
A couple have said it right...

The vehicle is always connecting and flowing data for their benefit. They want you to pay if you want it to be useful to you.

OTA updates are a cost reduction. Its faster and cheaper than calling all cars back to dealerships and paying them to update it under R&A costs.
Being a “Computer Dummy” I want to know, when an OTA is being downloaded, does any kind of message show up telling you that an OTA update is going on?

I’ve never seen it.

Idano

Preferred Red Needle TourX
Being a “Computer Dummy” I want to know, when an OTA is being downloaded, does any kind of message show up telling you that an OTA update is going on?

I’ve never seen it.
That actually depends on whether "They" want you to know or not.
Seriously.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!