• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense. Please also post in the appropriate forum. The "Lounge" is for introducing yourself. If you need help with your LaCrosse, please post in the LaCrosee section - and so on... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

OnStar Connectivity (Loss of)

Anaduff

Associate Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
Just found out that the 3G (4LTE) network that OnStar uses will be shutting down this year (2022). Since this would seem to cover most models & years, I thought it should be 'on top' thread. Looks like they (GM) will be trying an OTA upgrade--but that doesn't always work--so keep your eye out for possible issues.

Service bulletin (PDF) below.

Attachments

• MC-10183198-9999.pdf
    528.3 KB · Views: 4

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's the OnStar link on the 3G Sunset

But at this time when trying to check a vehicle the link sends you to a page that isn't working at least at this moment. This may be foreshadowing how well it is going to rollout.

Anaduff

Associate Member
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS, 2003 Jaguar X-Type
We (well, those of you who have OnStar) will know for sure on the 22nd of February, which is when AT&T has slated as the last day of 3G service. Keep in mind that if you're using your smartphone for OTA services, that will continue to work fine. But if your car's system hasn't received the upgrade by that time--it won't--since the Over-The-Air [OTA] modem is a 3G unit (at least until it gets updated).

agaric

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
The TSB doesn't reference any pre 19 Buicks as effected by this.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The 2G Sunset is also part of the shut down and will be on some 2015 and appears all older GM models.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
So I called OnStar. First person knew nothing about it placed me on hold to connect me to someone in technical support. The person in technical support had never heard of the 3G shutdown and I had to explain to him it was because of the 5G rollout. Placed me on hold again. After a few minutes he found an internal document that referenced the OTA updates but could not specifically state my 2017 Regal would be covered by it. Not impressed by how GM/OnStar is prepared for something coming next month.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners