Opel Adam Looks Good as a Buick

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now
Let's get some more discussion going on in regards to the Buick version of the Opel Adam. What do you think it can/will do for Buick? Do you think it'll hurt Buick's image? Or help it? Luxury brands are beginning to offer small cars for people who are fuel-conscious and still want basic luxury features with excellent service.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Let's get some more discussion going on in regards to the Buick version of the Opel Adam. What do you think it can/will do for Buick? Do you think it'll hurt Buick's image? Or help it? Luxury brands are beginning to offer small cars for people who are fuel-conscious and still want basic luxury features with excellent service.
Definitely a trend (in the right direction IMO). Not everyone wants/needs a full or even mid sized sedan, and they shouldn't have to sacrifice quality with the downsize. Toyota dropped the ball with the Prius, the higher trims are expensive for what you get. The Cooper is overpriced in any trim, and not exactly fuel efficient. But something along those lines - fuel efficient, stylish, and loaded with all the latest gadgets. Whomever gets there first is going to see some good sales.

I'm 6' 3" with a minor back problem, so sadly my days of econo cars are over. Buick is a compromise in quality and affordability for me.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
Definitely a trend (in the right direction IMO). Not everyone wants/needs a full or even mid sized sedan, and they shouldn't have to sacrifice quality with the downsize. Toyota dropped the ball with the Prius, the higher trims are expensive for what you get. The Cooper is overpriced in any trim, and not exactly fuel efficient. But something along those lines - fuel efficient, stylish, and loaded with all the latest gadgets. Whomever gets there first is going to see some good sales.

I'm 6' 3" with a minor back problem, so sadly my days of econo cars are over. Buick is a compromise in quality and affordability for me.
I think Buick did pretty good with the Verano - being a compact car but still quite luxurious. I think they can do it again with the Adam...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I think Buick did pretty good with the Verano - being a compact car but still quite luxurious. I think they can do it again with the Adam...
They did. I sat in one just to see, and it was a touch small for what I was looking for, otherwise seemed well equiped and laid out for the price/class. With the 2.0T the Verano is a very lively small car. :D

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
They did. I sat in one just to see, and it was a touch small for what I was looking for, otherwise seemed well equiped and laid out for the price/class. With the 2.0T the Verano is a very lively small car. :D
0-60 in 6.2 IS pretty quick. My old Eldorado Touring Coupe (1995) did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and that felt really nice. The car moved. It's not fast by today's standards - but it did have a nice amount of power. Imagine the 2.0T in a high performance version of the Adam...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
0-60 in 6.2 IS pretty quick.
I think it might be even faster than that. The Malibu LTZ does that in 5.9 seconds, same engine/transmission and I think same weight (the malibu might weigh a little more). On that topic, I've not seen any solid 0-60 and 1/4 times from Buick for the 2014+ Regals. Motor Trend posted their track results in a review, 0-60MPH in 6.1 seconds and 14.8 quarter mile for the Regal 2.0T :

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1403_2014_buick_regal_turbo_fwd_first_test/

I would assume the lighter Verano similarly equipped would be even quicker. Fwiw, 6.0 seconds 0-60 is about as quick as the V6 Gen5 Camaro. ;) I believe it too, having just come from a V6 Gen5 and this actually accelerates faster.

As for the Adam, a car that size (small) would likely be mated with a 1.4T [like a Sonic/Cruze] if it was made for import here. Would probably still move pretty quick even at "only" 140hp/tq (tuned they get 170hp from those 1.4T's).

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
5.9 seconds to 60 is very good for a non-top-tier family sedan. I do remember reading that but I'd forgotten. So, yeah - I bet the Verano 2.0T may be a 5.9 or a touch less to 60mph car. Impressive...

I'm sure you're right about the 1.4T going into the Buick Adam. But imagine the 2.0T? That would be a game changer - which certainly would not hurt Buick as a brand...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
But imagine the 2.0T? That would be a game changer - which certainly would not hurt Buick as a brand...
Only if it was AWD with launch assist. Having enough issues getting traction from a start with the 2.0T in a much larger vehicle. Power's great, but not if it only causes the tires to spin when you get on it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.