• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Opel / Vuaxhall / Holden Steering wheel and Airbag swap.

GoinManta

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia TourX ;)
Opel steering wheel will be a tough sell since only one person claimed that he was able to successfully retrofit Regal without showing any detailed photographic evidence. Buick's steering wheel has different connectors, harnesses, and slightly different functions I doubt that it can be easily transplanted.

The above started as I have already committed to buying both a standard Opel steering wheel and a GSi/OPC version for my conversion.

As I was told quite the opposite..

1631652160224.png

But there could be caveats..

So I have dug a bit deeper..

US harness for ALL 2018-2020 Regals

1631652113595.png

This fits ALL 2018 - 2020 Regals ( with Heated wheel )

1631652138726.png

Standard Opel Wheel has same plugs and thus would seem same harness as well

1631652225116.png

Now from all my comparisons.. I have done..

The pin outs look the same.. for the controls and the airbag. Even the Airbag connector.

1631652287614.png

Confirmed 39136242 the part number of the clock spring is the same.

The ONLY difference is the same as if you swap a Heated wheel with a non-Heated wheel. You need the wires for the heated part..

It DOES seem if the Flat bottom one with the paddles does have an extra connector and doubtful the paddles would work with the harness, but would be there for looks. The Standard wheel though does seem to not be a problem.

Also the button for the Heated Steering wheel seems to change location, to the "dead" button in the center our left D pad.. and in Europe they include a button for what looks to be a speed limiter ? Maybe the ACC can drop your cars speed to match the limit ?

GSi/OPC Wheel with paddles

1631652174688.png
Standard Opel Wheel
1631652190090.png

Otherwise most all the controls are in the same place.. the exception is the paddles which simply will be there for show and forementioned heated wheel and speed limiter.

Otherwise its' simply a different look and size for the buttons.

1631647434295.png

This all said, I know from previous wiring projects with Opels over the years..

Bosch/Opel/Germany ( Not written in stone.. but what I have seen over the years )

BLACK = Battery (+) ( Also sometimes ground )
Brown = Switched (+)
White = ECU Controlled (+)
Green = ( -5v, coil and/or ignition )

Vs the GM

Red = Battery (+) ( Sometimes switched )
Yellow = Switched (+)
Orange = Accessory (+)
Black = 12V Ground
Brown = ECU Ground
Pink = Coil/Ignition

etc... etc.. so the color things maybe German standard vs GM NA standard so techs don't get confused.

I have all the pictures and will be back in a few with the results.

Last edited:

GoinManta

Buick Ownership
OK.. I have a ton of pictures and wouldnt you know it.. ? MOST have the pin out on the Yellow plug obscured..

BUT I do think I am getting it.

First the pictures..

US - ( with heated wheel )

1631653474423.png

1631654017987.png

EUROPE with Heated :
1631653646409.png

You can see the upper wheel (US) and the lower (EU) have a resistor for the heated part of the wheel:
1631654205414.png

Located in different places.

The Round Yellow Backed plug is air bag signal and the power is the gray plug ( Euro ) vs Black Plug (US). One wire IS different.. BUT its a wire for switched power and where it plugs into in the EU plug is shared by one of the other plugs.. On both US and EU the locations look to be shared power.

Now here is the weird thing.. I ONLY have pictures of the loose harnesses for EU models without Heated power, the only pictures I have of the harness for the EU wheel with heat are ones with the harness in the wheel. That harness DOES have a Blue plug like the US.

The images of harness for the EU I have without heated wheel do NOT.

1631654505701.png

1631654635635.png

1631654369611.png 1631654408496.png

Maybe these are also a Red Needle vs White one thing ?

The 2019 had a white plug..

1631654908903.png
1631654888034.png

So these are hard to trace, BUT if you simply go by what wires are filled in the plug and which plug they come from.. it looks about right.

Also the colors they are filled with it fits what I know of German and US color coding..

For instance, Large wire at the end of the plug in the US is Red (+12 Battery ), in the EU version Brown (+12 switched) .. Both are larger 12ga wires. Both are obviously positive. So my thought that this the color coding is different due to Opel/Eu Standards seems to match.

The plugs are different but so are the switches.. the number of wires though seems to match..

Last edited:

GoinManta

Buick Ownership
1631655995831.png

Notice here the number of wires pretty much matches with one exception the Purple..

But the purple is swapped with a White in US. Because again the wiring code for the EU uses White as Power Signal if memory serves.. ( The use it for the (+) power to thing like fuel injectors, etc.. ).

So I am fairly comfortable in the belief that yes if you swap the wheels you won't have to may issues.

BUT you need to make sure you have the harness for the steering wheel as well as the airbag.

Also it wouldn't hurt to make sure you get a heated wheel, as it looks more compatible.. IF that is even an issue.

Guess we will find out in November.

GoinManta

Buick Ownership
1631706893173.png

Earlier I said that buttom button may have been garage opener.

I was wrong, looks to be a "Speed limiter"

I had thought it was for the ACC to see road signs and adjust speed based on local speed limit . As speeding tickets ( Especially in Germany ) are EXPENSIVE and you can lose your license AND they have cameras everywhere.. This would be a nice feature given the ACC in europe can I believe see speed signs. Also there are the into and out of city signs. Sure they could even use GPS (like Waze or Google Maps does ) as well because often you have to KNOW the limit when going into and out of towns.

In the US this would cause accidents as idiots don't care about speed limits ANYWHERE.

Anyway I was wrong again.. (See below ).

Anyway thought I would update this thread with this tidbit.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Well thats borderline useless. No where near as cool as being able to have the ACC work with road signs.

Its like having max cruise control when not in cruise control ?

A personal "governer" if you will..
Seems like an answer to a question nobody asked but maybe in Europe it's a thing. It's more intrusive than the setable speed warning that the Buick has which is just a chime. The Buick warning chime is set through menus so one is less likely to set it more than once in a while (like mine is set at 83 mph and I never have changed it). I do wish we had the Traffic Sign Recognition feature since it doesn't have to rely on built in GPS for speed limit information display and since it can change over time or during construction situations. That's been around for a while now, seems like it'd be more popular in US with more cars haveing cameras for other features.

Last edited:

GoinManta

Buick Ownership
Seems like an answer to a question nobody asked but maybe in Europe it's a thing. It's more intrusive than the setable speed warning that the Buick has which is just a chime. The Buick warning chime is set through menus so one is less likely to set it more than once in a while (like mine is set at 83 mph and I never have changed it). I do wish we had the Traffic Sign Recognition feature since it doesn't have to rely on built in GPS for speed limit information disply since it can change over time or during construction situations. That's been around for a while now, seems like it'd be more popular in US with more cars haveing cameras for other features.
Actually I heard the European setup actually have sign recognition, and we don't.. I know the Insignia has extra front sensors we don't as well.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Actually I heard the European setup actually have sign recognition, and we don't.. I know the Insignia has extra front sensors we don't as well.
It is available on the Insignia, along with a long list of other things that would be nice to have - thanks GM. The other front sensors for parking are on the Buick GS but not the TourX. I had a 2011 Saab 9-5, even on that car TSR was available 10 years ago but only in European market 9-5s (it was also an Opel based system in that car). It is uses a front facing camera which the Buick already has for LKA and front pedestrian braking, etc.

Anyway, back to the limiter button, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, that does when plugged in to the Buick. I guess the guy who has already done the swap would know.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners