Optional Bose sound system

Thread starter #1

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
Hi, I’m weighing the pros and cons of a new TourX. I like a good sounding system in my cars. Doesn’t have to be kick-ass but definitely decent. What is the opinion of the Bose system in the TourX? Thanks for any feedback.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hi, I’m weighing the pros and cons of a new TourX. I like a good sounding system in my cars. Doesn’t have to be kick-ass but definitely decent. What is the opinion of the Bose system in the TourX? Thanks for any feedback.
It’s decent in my book. I used to put systems in cars, but it seems like a lot of effort for not much benefit in recent years with the way car audio systems have progressed.

I know the car is the worst sound stage, but a lot of mastering professionals will use a car as a test to see if music holds up in the car, where a lot of listening is done.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It is decent and plenty powerful. There's a lot of bass, but the bass is more on the loose and boomy side due to the sub's ported and small woofer design. (I prefer the 'thump' of a well-powered non-ported sub.) Mids are solid and highs are decent clarity. Don't expect body panel vibrations and a shakey rear view mirror image from this car.

I find that I enjoy how the system sounds at lower volume levels. Even with the volume turned down, the sound is nice and full where one can still easily carry a conversation with folks in the back seat. As you turn the volume "up to 11", it gets louder, but I feel the sound flattens a bit and you start to hear more amplifier strain/distortion.

I've got the old UI. One thing I find annoying is that you can't access the tone controls without selecting the audio icon first. So if you are listening through Android Auto, you need to interrupt what you are listening to select the audio (radio/SiriousXM) icon first before you can access the tone controls.

That being said, you are the best judge since we all have our own listening preferences. You should tell the sales person to leave you alone with a TourX for 10 minutes and you should not be bashful with setting up the sound stage how you like it.

As for the rest of the car... I highly recommend.

kmingis

Sustaining Member
RI
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX (Essence)
I can’t add more detail to what previous posters have said, except to say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good the upgraded audio system sounds. Definitely get better separation and clarity from sources like your phone (as opposed to satellite radio). Even music on the built-in Pandora app sounds great. Recommended!

Thread starter #6

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it’s better than okay and that’s what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate clarity more than just being loud. I’m already thinking it needs a window tint on the back windows and I was wondering if I need to factor in a stereo upgrade as well. Just to be sure, I’ll give it a good listen at the dealer.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Sounds pretty good, but not as good as my 04 Sierra Denali's Bose unit with old school CD, and really old school cassette.
PS Forgot to mention my added on 8 track, 4 track, and phono.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I'd be interested in knowing how much you get quoted for the rear/side tint, I'm considering having that done as well.
Realizing that this thread is morphing from Bose to window tinting....

Tint Quote #1-
$150 for standard film
$225 for ceramic

Tint Quote #2-
$275 for ceramic

My gut feeling was #2 was a more reputable installer.

I read a review that said the panoramic sunroof allows a lot of heat in. I'm not crazy about the idea but it was suggested by one of the installers to tint the sunroof too.

Anybody own a TourX (with a sunroof) and live in a warm climate that felt like their car's a/c couldn't keep up on a hot day??

Cobalt_mcg

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have a different take than most others here. Yes, the Bose system is better than the base model sound in most cars, but it sounds pretty average when I get in my wife's car vs the Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi S3.

So if you're used to really good sound, you'll probably be disappointed.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I'd be interested in knowing how much you get quoted for the rear/side tint, I'm considering having that done as well.
Realizing that this thread is morphing from Bose to window tinting....

Tint Quote #1-
$150 for standard film
$225 for ceramic

Tint Quote #2-
$275 for ceramic

My gut feeling was #2 was a more reputable installer.

I read a review that said the panoramic sunroof allows a lot of heat in. I'm not crazy about the idea but it was suggested by one of the installers to tint the sunroof too.

Anybody own a TourX (with a sunroof) and live in a warm climate that felt like their car's a/c couldn't keep up on a hot day??
That's when you start a new thread. This thread will always be titled Bose so changing the subject makes the search function less effective.

I will also be tinting my car soon so lets continue discussion here:
Regal Window Tint

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I have been a GM new car/truck owner since 1997 and I would not buy a GM without the Bose system. I think it is awesome and worth every penny.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I have a different take than most others here. Yes, the Bose system is better than the base model sound in most cars, but it sounds pretty average when I get in my wife's car vs the Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi S3.

So if you're used to really good sound, you'll probably be disappointed.
Yeah and if you were in a Ford GT with McIntosh system, you probably would think your Audi sounds pretty average.
But then I am easily impressed...satisfied with Monsoon system in Firebird and Grand Prix.

Thread starter #16

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
They aren’t charging that much for the Bose system. Since it’s bundled with Nav, it’s hard to say exactly how much, but I’m guessing around $650. If it sounds decent, that’s a good deal. For me, the draw of the TourX is the value for the money and the value seems to extend to the sound system. If I got a Jeep/Dodge I’d have to go for the $1000 Harman Kardon system which I’m guessing is better than the Bose which is expected giving the price.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I
They aren’t charging that much for the Bose system. Since it’s bundled with Nav, it’s hard to say exactly how much, but I’m guessing around $650. If it sounds decent, that’s a good deal. For me, the draw of the TourX is the value for the money and the value seems to extend to the sound system. If I got a Jeep/Dodge I’d have to go for the $1000 Harman Kardon system which I’m guessing is better than the Bose which is expected giving the price.
I have sight and sound package which includes Bose upgrade, and I am happy with it. I think the wagon is a great value too.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
(Bose) Sights and Sounds package... What are the "sights"?? Buick classifying the Navigation system as a sight?
Screenshot_2019-01-05-07-05-18.jpg

My interior has these thin interior accent lights below the center screen and on the front doors.:
IMG_20190105_061126.jpg

Are these standard on any TourX?
Only part of the Essence trim?
A "sight" with the Sight and Sound package?

Last edited:

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
(Bose) Sights and Sounds package... What are the "sights"?? Buick classifying the Navigation system as a sight?
View attachment 13239

My interior has these thin interior accent lights below the center screen and on the front doors.:
View attachment 13238

Are these standard on any TourX?
Only part of the Essence trim?
A "sight" with the Sight and Sound package?
The Sights and Sounds package also includes a larger, 8” infotainment screen (if Preferred trim). That would be considered a ‘sight.’

Reading through the literature it appears that the 8” screen was standard on Essence models, regardless of the package. But we’ve all found the literature to be inconsistent with reality.

Last edited:

Kahuna1963

Buick Ownership
TourX
It is decent and plenty powerful. There's a lot of bass, but the bass is more on the loose and boomy side due to the sub's ported and small woofer design. (I prefer the 'thump' of a well-powered non-ported sub.) Mids are solid and highs are decent clarity. Don't expect body panel vibrations and a shakey rear view mirror image from this car.

I find that I enjoy how the system sounds at lower volume levels. Even with the volume turned down, the sound is nice and full where one can still easily carry a conversation with folks in the back seat. As you turn the volume "up to 11", it gets louder, but I feel the sound flattens a bit and you start to hear more amplifier strain/distortion.

I've got the old UI. One thing I find annoying is that you can't access the tone controls without selecting the audio icon first. So if you are listening through Android Auto, you need to interrupt what you are listening to select the audio (radio/SiriousXM) icon first before you can access the tone controls.

That being said, you are the best judge since we all have our own listening preferences. You should tell the sales person to leave you alone with a TourX for 10 minutes and you should not be bashful with setting up the sound stage how you like it.

As for the rest of the car... I highly recommend.
I have a 2018 tourx I cannot figure out how to adjust the base in trouble etc. where do you do that

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.