Optional Bose sound system

Katsubento

Hawaii
(Bose) Sights and Sounds package... What are the "sights"?? Buick classifying the Navigation system as a sight?
View attachment 13239

My interior has these thin interior accent lights below the center screen and on the front doors.:
View attachment 13238

Are these standard on any TourX?
Only part of the Essence trim?
A "sight" with the Sight and Sound package?
I think the interior accent lighting on the dash and doors are standard in all Regals.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The standard sound system is fine to my ears so far. I've had the car for just about 2 hours, so maybe my opinion will change, but so far so good.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I think the Bose "upgrade" is just about the worst stereo I've heard in a new car in several years. The imaging is bad, really bad. Bass response is very poor- in fact, I didn't think there was a sub until I found it when checking for space to install a compact spare. The highs are not crisp at all. Usually with Bose, they are bright and clear but often lacking in other areas. This one seems to lack all areas.
The base MyLink system in the current Impala is far better in all regards, especially (and surprisingly) in bass response and they don't even have subwoofers. My Camaro stock stereo was also far better and it had the Boston Acoustics speakers and no sub- but I ripped all that out for Polk speakers and sub.
Honestly, to consider the system in the TourX as their "premium" package should be a bit embarrassing for Buick. I may resort to putting in an Audio Control interface, then installing at minimum a parametric EQ and a much better sub- like the B&O sub Audi uses that also fits inside a spare wheel.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I don't mean this as any sort of insult, but you sound like a guy who can seriously tell the difference and have a particular sense of quality. I have an Audi with the Bose system, and the TourX with the standard system (which has Bose labels on it), and the sound quality is definitely superior in the Buick. IMO

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I don't mean this as any sort of insult, but you sound like a guy who can seriously tell the difference and have a particular sense of quality. I have an Audi with the Bose system, and the TourX with the standard system (which has Bose labels on it), and the sound quality is definitely superior in the Buick. IMO
I've driven many Audis with the Bose systems and B&O systems. My company car was an A4 and personal car was an A6. The Audi Bose system wasn't all that great, but the B&O system in their cars is very good. I'm not really too picky as far as original equipment stereos, but for a system which costs significantly more I'd expect more thought put in to it. Some 'uprated' stereos have a huge amount of testing in them and some seem like just slapping a name on and paying a license fee for it. The Buick system seems to be the latter.
Even my wife, who is just as happy listening to a $90 bluetooth speaker instead of our $15K stereo noticed that the new car was a downgrade in music quality from the previous car which had a base system.
Slapping a label on a system has unfortunately become a thing. In the early days of high end stereo companies getting involved in stereos for production cars, it meant a well thought out system. Years ago I had an A8 with B&O that was spectacular, but I think it was more than $5K extra for it.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Maybe my years of driving clackity diesels ruined my audiophile ears... but this car is pretty spot on with audio after a quick EQ.

A lot of nose up in the air mentality in this thread.

A $15k home stereo compared to any car stereo is an apples to oranges comparison as a car is the absolute worst sound stage.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
. The imaging is bad, really bad. Bass response is very poor- in fact, I didn't think there was a sub until I found it when checking for space to install a compact spare. The highs are not crisp at all.

Yikes! Sounds like you've got a problem with your system or your tone setting is off. The bass is almost too much in my vehicle. And that's coming from a guy who likes A LOT of bass. I'll admit that this is not the best system I've heard, but it is more than acceptable and certainly no lack of bass.

I have the older UI, but on the bottom of the tone setting screen, there are two options and one of them is "talk" and the other is "music" (I believe). If it's set to "talk" your music is going to sound like crap as it boosts the mids to favor vocal range of the sound spectrum.

I never been a fan of Bose as their sound typically sounds manufactured and overly processed, but your experience leads me to believe there is another factor at play.

Katsubento

Hawaii
I think the Bose "upgrade" is just about the worst stereo I've heard in a new car in several years. The imaging is bad, really bad. Bass response is very poor- in fact, I didn't think there was a sub until I found it when checking for space to install a compact spare. The highs are not crisp at all. Usually with Bose, they are bright and clear but often lacking in other areas. This one seems to lack all areas.
The base MyLink system in the current Impala is far better in all regards, especially (and surprisingly) in bass response and they don't even have subwoofers. My Camaro stock stereo was also far better and it had the Boston Acoustics speakers and no sub- but I ripped all that out for Polk speakers and sub.
Honestly, to consider the system in the TourX as their "premium" package should be a bit embarrassing for Buick. I may resort to putting in an Audio Control interface, then installing at minimum a parametric EQ and a much better sub- like the B&O sub Audi uses that also fits inside a spare wheel.
Maybe something is wrong... I've heard better systems, but the Bose here is far from poor.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I've driven many Audis with the Bose systems and B&O systems. My company car was an A4 and personal car was an A6. The Audi Bose system wasn't all that great, but the B&O system in their cars is very good. I'm not really too picky as far as original equipment stereos, but for a system which costs significantly more I'd expect more thought put in to it. Some 'uprated' stereos have a huge amount of testing in them and some seem like just slapping a name on and paying a license fee for it. The Buick system seems to be the latter.
Even my wife, who is just as happy listening to a $90 bluetooth speaker instead of our $15K stereo noticed that the new car was a downgrade in music quality from the previous car which had a base system.
Slapping a label on a system has unfortunately become a thing. In the early days of high end stereo companies getting involved in stereos for production cars, it meant a well thought out system. Years ago I had an A8 with B&O that was spectacular, but I think it was more than $5K extra for it.
Says alot if you like Audis.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Maybe my years of driving clackity diesels ruined my audiophile ears... but this car is pretty spot on with audio after a quick EQ.

A $15k home stereo compared to any car stereo is an apples to oranges comparison as a car is the absolute worst sound stage.
Nose up in the air mentality? No, it's not that- and I didn't compare the car stereo to a $15K system if you bother to actually read it. The Bose system in the TourX is utterly horrible. It can't hold its own against base stereos in other cars in many cases. I've heard a lot of base and premium car systems over the years, few are as disappointing as the Bose setup in the TourX.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX

$15k in car audio is so blah. Spend that on a home system with a tube amp, belt drive turntable, speed controller, good stylus, and responsive speakers instead.
Nose up in the air mentality? No, it's not that- and I didn't compare the car stereo to a $15K system if you bother to actually read it. The Bose system in the TourX is utterly horrible. It can't hold its own against base stereos in other cars in many cases. I've heard a lot of base and premium car systems over the years, few are as disappointing as the Bose setup in the TourX.
I did “bother to read it,” thanks. It took a while due to it being a brick of text, but I made it.

Your tone comes off as condescending, whether you mean it or not.

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I'm really wondering whether something is wrong with your system. I'm definitely no audiophile, but I like and listen to music just about constantly, and I've really enjoyed the sound quality in my TourX with just the base system. Maybe visit a dealer and compare against another car?

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm really wondering whether something is wrong with your system. I'm definitely no audiophile, but I like and listen to music just about constantly, and I've really enjoyed the sound quality in my TourX with just the base system. Maybe visit a dealer and compare against another car?
Agree.

Maybe verify all the tone settings are where they should be? Even a factory reset of the unit would help isolate software vs hardware issue.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I did “bother to read it,” thanks. It took a while due to it being a brick of text, but I made it.

Your tone comes off as condescending, whether you mean it or not.
I can't help how you choose to interpret the written word. If it helps, I'm sorry I called your stereo terrible... as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

My car is going in tomorrow for some other things, might not hurt to see if there are new software loads for it. The first visit on a new car is just about the only time you can get a warranty software update that isn't for a specific fix. Getting the updated front suspension arms and better tires. The subwoofer makes some noise at times, but inconsistent. Playing with the limited tone controls can improve it a bit, but it's still a disappointment. I've worked around audio equipment long enough that I can't think of a physical issue or malfunction that could make it sound "dead" but anything is possible. The terrible imaging I knew about ahead of time. Not a big deal, really... it's just a way to get around town and not intended for entertainment.

Rhetoric

MPLS
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I can't help how you choose to interpret the written word. If it helps, I'm sorry I called your stereo terrible... as long as you like it, that's all that matters.
No worries. I know I need a sarcasm font 75% of the time.

‘Sounds’ like your stereo sounds terrible; not mine. The tone controls, while limited, change the sound quite a bit in my car.

Hopefully the dealer can shed some light on the issue. While they’re looking at it, see if you can jump in another TourX and compare.

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Let's compare apples to apples here. My wife's Regal has the base system and mine has the Bose system, and mine sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than her's.

Saying that a base system sounds better than the Bose system is ridiculous.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.