• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

Optispark distributor

Lucabrazzi1

Buick Ownership
1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
This is my first ever forum so bear with me. I have a 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon with the LT1 engine. Real garage kept gem from my neighbor. Total enjoyment for 18 months. Until this May. My mechanic had to replace my optispark. He put two aftermarket ones and he still can't get a spark to cylinder #3. He replaced the ignition coil and the ignition module still not luck. He ran a diagnostic on his computer and the OBD I is fine. He tried to get an OEM Optispark but can't find one. Any ideas on where to get a quality replacement or an original? Or any ideas on why one cylinder is not getting the spark?
Thanks

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Hopefully someone this forum will respond with additional information, but there are a few LT1 related forums also check out the Chevrolet forums as they may have more information on this motor. Good luck on getting the problem corrected.

Lucabrazzi1

Buick Ownership
Hopefully someone this forum will respond with additional information, but there are a few LT1 related forums also check out the Chevrolet forums as they may have more information on this motor. Good luck on getting the problem corrected.
Thank You

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The Optispark failure is often misdiagnosed and could be the result of ignition wire failure, spark plugs, or many other problems. I have owned many Optispark cars (Corvette, Z-28's & RMS) some vented and not. I see no mention of whether the plugs/wires were replaced during that Opti replacement? If an Opti/wires actually fail to deliver spark, the plugs will foul and not fire. Inspection of the wires & plugs should lead to the conclusion of this mystery.

Last edited:

Lucabrazzi1

Buick Ownership
Thank you for your help. The plugs and wires were all replaced a year ago but I will ask if he checked the wires

Lucabrazzi1

Buick Ownership

Lucabrazzi1

Buick Ownership
Thank You. Another new distributor and an AC Delco ignition coil. Starts and runs great. But...when it gets hot it starts to hesitate when he puts a load on it like going up a hill. He also changed the plugs and wires. At least all 8 cylinders are firing.