p0299 Turbo loses boost

MitchMeister03

Buick Newbie
TX
Buick Ownership
12 Regal GS
I have a 2012 GS with 85k on it. I have it ZZP tuned, intake, downpipe. This just started in the last couple months. If I drive more than an hour or so, and try to get on it, the turbo will cut out fully and I get a pending code p0299. I can turn the car off for a min and start again, turbo is fine. I replaced the cam sensors, IAT sensor, the BPV with a forge model, and checked all of my intake piping and filter. I took the car into the shop and they couldn't get the car to do it after testing, and only could see the pending code. I picked it up, and picked up my friend from the airport and drove for about an hour total, and trying to get on the freeway, the turbo cutout. Same pending code. Pulled off, turned off car, turned on, turbo is back. Local car group just keeps screaming "bad turbo for that code". But I'm confused how turning off the car and on would fix the issue if it was a bad turbo? It seems like a sensor issue, possibly even related to the tune, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

tbelcher08

Grand Rapids, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
I have a 2012 GS with 85k on it. I have it ZZP tuned, intake, downpipe. This just started in the last couple months. If I drive more than an hour or so, and try to get on it, the turbo will cut out fully and I get a pending code p0299. I can turn the car off for a min and start again, turbo is fine. I replaced the cam sensors, IAT sensor, the BPV with a forge model, and checked all of my intake piping and filter. I took the car into the shop and they couldn't get the car to do it after testing, and only could see the pending code. I picked it up, and picked up my friend from the airport and drove for about an hour total, and trying to get on the freeway, the turbo cutout. Same pending code. Pulled off, turned off car, turned on, turbo is back. Local car group just keeps screaming "bad turbo for that code". But I'm confused how turning off the car and on would fix the issue if it was a bad turbo? It seems like a sensor issue, possibly even related to the tune, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
Check all your charge pipes for cracks (if they’re still all stock, the hot side pipe likes to split at the connector). Next would be checking the boost control solenoid on the back of the turbo. Common problem and ZZP sells them cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else.

MitchMeister03

Buick Newbie
TX
Buick Ownership
12 Regal GS
Check all your charge pipes for cracks (if they’re still all stock, the hot side pipe likes to split at the connector). Next would be checking the boost control solenoid on the back of the turbo. Common problem and ZZP sells them cheaper than you’ll find anywhere else.

You have any links to replacement charge pipes? Been googling with no luck.

MitchMeister03

Buick Newbie
TX
Buick Ownership
12 Regal GS

double post

14BlackGS

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
That turbo has an electronic boost controller. When they start going bad they act up when they get hot. Check there

Hussein55644

Buick Ownership
Premium 1
My 2013 had the same issue it went into limp mode but no code came on and I turned the car of and on and it worked fine. Now my turbo is having underboost with engine light and code p0299 went to the mechanic said I need a turbo and didn't even check after looking at the engine I noticed a oil leak under my vaccum pump and I'm going to go get it inspected soon.

14BlackGS

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
My 2013 had the same issue it went into limp mode but no code came on and I turned the car of and on and it worked fine. Now my turbo is having underboost with engine light and code p0299 went to the mechanic said I need a turbo and didn't even check after looking at the engine I noticed a oil leak under my vaccum pump and I'm going to go get it inspected soon.
The turbos have 2 solenoids on them. One controls the wastegate the other controls the recirculation valve. I've had similar issues you discribed. Start with those. They are basically coils and can definitely be effected by temp

Hussein55644

Buick Ownership
Premium 1
The turbos have 2 solenoids on them. One controls the wastegate the other controls the recirculation valve. I've had similar issues you discribed. Start with those. They are basically coils and can definitely be effected by temp
Did you fix yours?

14BlackGS

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
Did you fix yours?
Mine still has that issue you mentioned. I had 2 issues with mine. I had boost leak as well. I purchased an upgraded recirculation valve and now I don't leak boost. My wastegate solenoid just came in today and I will be changing it tomorrow. I can get back to you in a few days. Like yours, it's intermittent.

14BlackGS

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
Update. Changing the wastegate solenoid fixed my issue. It was very similar to yours but I've never had a code. I also have a tune but through Trifecta. I also upgraded the recirculation valve with a DV+ from Go Fast Bits. Those parts together are over $250. In my area I've found entire turbos assemblies for under $200 with low miles.I hope this helps you

Hussein55644

Buick Ownership
Premium 1
Update. Changing the wastegate solenoid fixed my issue. It was very similar to yours but I've never had a code. I also have a tune but through Trifecta. I also upgraded the recirculation valve with a DV+ from Go Fast Bits. Those parts together are over $250. In my area I've found entire turbos assemblies for under $200 with low miles.I hope this helps you
Thank you, I'm taking it in today to get it checked out. My mechanic said if it's the wastegate than it's not worth replacing my because it's a $350 dollar part and $420 labor to take the turbo out.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!