p0446 evap code? what is the common cause of this 2009 lacrosse

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
Can't really help you with the location of the lines, I don't have the car anymore and I changed that valve about three years ago.
The hose going into the valve is about 0.5 inch. Perhaps you could disconnect it, slide a piece of garden hose on to the steel line and blow into it using your mouth, not high pressure. I would think from there it's a sealed system, so you shouldn't be able to blow air into the tank.
Another thing you mentioned, I had a rusty fuel line leaking on the left side just ahead of the left rear wheel last winter. Started to see a stain on the driveway, but before that the car would crank a couple seconds before starting when I had been sitting for a while. What was happening is the pressure that would normally be in the line going to the injectors was bled off due to the leak, so if your car cranks a bit longer than it should on the first start of the day you could have a leaking line. That was the last straw, I had so many problems with that car it was time to let it go.

How many miles did you have on it before you got rid of it? I heard the motors were fairly reliable but I guess a lot of the components are not I noticed the door actuater burnout I don't know how often of a problem that is but a guy at the dealer tried to say that usually the handle on the outside falls off said he doesn't get many people buying actuators which doesn't seem to make sense but I guess the guy believes so. I currently have two bad door actuators I'll be placed one on the passenger side now I've got to do the rear driver side.

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
Unfortunately if you read enough posts on the subject every part of the EVAP system is the correct solution but it only applies to that owners vehicle. From grease on the cap to filler neck to blowing air through the purge valve with everything else in between has been a repair so the most common part is the one that fixes your vehicle.
as far as I've seen some of those problems you mentioned would cause the gas cap like code to be thrown which should be different numbers than what I'm seeing now so technically you could have one code which could be a few different things I kind of get that with these cars.

However the last problem I fixed the actual check engine code applied to the actual problem part that it actually was I ended up replacing both of the parts and then light went off.

It could also actually be the fuel pressure sensor if i had a better scan tool i could run some tests easly check the voltage on some of the plugs

Last edited:

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
Just to update i figured everything out i did not really look around much or check pictures or anything till today.

I went under there and installed the part at first i thought the valve was at the top of the tank which had rusted looking strap bolts which i thought i would break if i tried taking them out apon further inspection i noticed the valve is located on the left side of the car just about under the trunk behind the left tire very easy access had no idea.

Once i saw how easy it looked to get at i noticed the bolt holding the bracket in appeared rusted so then i figured well why dont i try to unlock the locking tab with a screwdriver if i can get one in there and just pop the old valve off the old bracket then install the new valve on the old bracket well it was not easy to get a tool in there to pop it off that way so i just trying spraying the bolt with oil soaked it good then waited like 5 mins then took it off removed bracket installed new valve and bracket then realized the factory plug did not fit.

I thought the description of the part i ordered said it came with the harness jumper wire apparently not its like the changed the wording to say order with part number so and so so now i have to pay another shipping fee when you look at the pic for the part it clearly shows a jumper harness sometimes you have to watch out for that if i owned a shop i would just use the local chains so if anything happens its on them to fix it and you do not have to chase anything down or play with mail.

Ill find out tomorrow if the light goes out i also checked some of the lines and there does not appear to be any holes in any of them but you watch the light will come back on in a month with something else. hopefully this helps some with my mileage

oldschool

Barrie, Ont
Buick Ownership
'03 Buick LeSabre, '07 Allure CXL
My car had approx. 330,000kms or 200,000 miles. Engine and transmission still worked very well. Rest of the car not so much.

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
ya well now the light came back on and the code i got referred to voltage. does anyone remember what the fix for this was i have heard something like the evap vent valve plug is no good and i might have to cut it off and solder a wire not really sure. but this check engine bs is getting old

Get your turbo buick badge right here!