Paddle shifters for GS

bigstogs

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
Has anyone looked into the possibility of swapping a 2010-2012 Saab 9-5 Aero steering wheel with the paddle shifters in to a GS?

I think it would be a great swap if the wiring harness hooks up and perhaps the dealer can flash an ecu update. Or even a custom programming is needed.

This seems to be the only thing that is really missing in the GS interior.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
No dealer would be able to do programming, plus if the airbag doesn't match, end user would need to know what mods on harness need to be done and needs to probably be a good idea that it's out of warranty. Keep all original parts in the event a recall comes up, sure it's possible LOL.

Might as well get a Opel Insignia GSI steering wheel with paddle shifters, has the same chance of working.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
No dealer would be able to do programming, plus if the airbag doesn't match, end user would need to know what mods on harness need to be done and needs to probably be a good idea that it's out of warranty. Keep all original parts in the event a recall comes up, sure it's possible LOL.

Might as well get a Opel Insignia GSI steering wheel with paddle shifters, has the same chance of working.
No dealer programming required. Users just wired the + / - minus triggers from the paddles to the + / - wiring for the shifter.

The real issue is anyone that wants to do this will be giving up the heated steering wheel and adaptive cruise control if equipped. I don't recall any other GM vehicle having the same wheel style with those features and the paddle shifters.

Last edited:

bigstogs

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
The 2010-2011 9-5 Aero could be equipped with the adaptive cruise control, so that would be retained. Not sure about the heated wheel though.

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
Never cared for paddle shifters, have them on my 2008 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 v6, there's a slight hesitation when going thru the gears almost like turbo lag, ok for cruising around but worthless when you get on the gas. :mad:

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
The 9-5 Aero steering wheel doesn't have the 4 way control for the GS gauge cluster screen, heated steering wheel button, and even if the 9-5 had adaptive cruise control it doesn't have the distance configuration button like the GS' has. Even if you got it to work you'd be adding one feature and getting rid of several others.

Could you get the paddle shifter assembly and wiring and fit them to the GS wheel?

used-2011-saab-9_5-4drsedanaeroxwdautomatic-12330-15241553-26-1024.jpg

bigstogs

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal GS AWD
The 9-5 Aero steering wheel doesn't have the 4 way control for the GS gauge cluster screen, heated steering wheel button, and even if the 9-5 had adaptive cruise control it doesn't have the distance configuration button like the GS' has. Even if you got it to work you'd be adding one feature and getting rid of several others.

Could you get the paddle shifter assembly and wiring and fit them to the GS wheel?

View attachment 13323
I'm thinking to keep the GS specific options, you would need to swap out the buttons. I hadn't seen just the shifter assembly available. Can get the while wheel with wiring harness for like $400 or so.

It may not work, but I will be looking into it more.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
This is what the Cruze/Sonic folks did. With that you'll only lose the heated wheel which is an immediate NO for me.

Just to note.... There is a company called Powertrain Control Solutions. They sell a paddle shifter kit that interfaces with the CAN bus controller. The paddle kit is wireless and is powered off the horn button power. The say it isn't designed for airbag equipped vehicles but this may just be an out to try and limit their liability.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not agreeing or disagreeing on concept, except that owners can't even get a USB port that's designed and installed in the Buick Regal to work properly, LOL. Dream big!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Check the forums, USB ports stop working and a complete replacement unit seems to be one answer the other is a software update but no guarantee it will be fixed.

The link swap also mentioned:
"By doing this you will lose functionality of the switch on the shifter, so the only way to manually change gears will be by the paddle shifters on the wheel (playing with ideas to correct that, but more on that later)"
Unless someone has a wiring harness diagram and working knowledge of the system it's could be a path to turning a working vehicle and bricking it. Like I said look at the Opel Insignia GSI steering wheel with paddle shifters as a guide. I wish whoever does this well and reports back on the install.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
I wish GM would have come up with a Heads Up Display for it, showing NAV information, Radio as well as Speed and CEL information.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.