• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

paint problems/warranty issues

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
My driver's side mirror has developed a problem with paint peeling off the top. I visited my local Buick dealership and had the service manager take a look at it. He took pictures of it and sent those pictures to the regional Buick office. After two weeks he told me Buick would not cover repair of the paint problem. My 2013 Encore is still under warranty.

What should my next step? Has anyone dealt with denied warranty issues with Buick?

CarbonBlackCXS

What did they say was the cause of the problem? As for the next step I'd take the car to a body shop and ask them why they thought paint was peeling. While you are there ask them what it would cost to have it painted.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Have you contacted Buick Customer Care? Was the dealer you went to the dealer that sold you the car?

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes I visited the dealership that sold me the car and they gave me the negative answer. My next step will be to contact Buick Customer Care.

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
They believe a stone or rock hit it and started the paint peeling process. Hard to believe a rock could hit the mirror cover right on top and cause this problem.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
That is pure BS. Are you out of the bumper to bumper warranty? I agree the chances of a rock hitting the top is remote, and paint on rubber has an ingredient that make it more flexible. If they get away with this on your car, then when it happens to the rest of our cars they won't stand behind their product either.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Paint chip should not spread to peeling in the entire area, unless the paint job is/was poor in the first place. Peeling like you describe is usually from when the paint isn't allowed to cure long enough before they slap on the final clear coat. In other words, the bond between the paint and clear coat is compromised when the paint isn't fully dried.

Had a similar issue on another car (Honda Civic) that, for a few model years, was notorious for having this issue and it was traced back to this exact 'flaw'. By time I resold the Civic nearly every panel on the car had clear coat peeling. The roof was the worse, nearly all the clear coat was gone.

Get this addressed, under warranty.

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
Talked to a rep at Buick Customer Center yesterday. Went over the entire situation with them and they referred the problem to the district manager who will be getting back to me soon. The rep said environmental factors could void the warranty which is pure BS to me! I have noticed another small bubble forming in another part of the mirror cover--more evidence of a bad paint job.

I took pictures for all to look at. Any advice how I transfer pictures from my computer to this site?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
I took pictures for all to look at. Any advice how I transfer pictures from my computer to this site?

Camera or phone? If camera, connect it to your computer and upload (might need to crop/resize first). If phone, maybe try logging into the website on the phone then attaching (again, may need to resize them). I'm sure in a few minutes on google you could figure it out.

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
P1010216.jpg Here is the photo. I have a slate grey Encore so you are seeing the chipped paint in the middle. It continues to spread. Has to be a bad paint job.

VibeMike87

Buick Ownership
Buick
An update on my paint issue. The Buick customer center referred the issue back to the dealership for a second opinion. They continued to say the warranty would not cover this problem. I appealed for them to look at it again since more paint was blistering. The rep at the dealership contacted GM(not Buick) and a few days later GM contacted him and said they would repaint the mirror cover as a "goodwill gesture". I am satisfied at this point even though we went a long way around to get to the solution I wanted.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
An update on my paint issue. The Buick customer center referred the issue back to the dealership for a second opinion. They continued to say the warranty would not cover this problem. I appealed for them to look at it again since more paint was blistering. The rep at the dealership contacted GM(not Buick) and a few days later GM contacted him and said they would repaint the mirror cover as a "goodwill gesture". I am satisfied at this point even though we went a long way around to get to the solution I wanted.

Well they really don't want to *admit* fault, since it could easily lead to a customer turning on them "You mean you did a poor job, why did I buy a Buick... What happens if more starts to peel... etc" so they likely feel they're straddling that line between making you happy and looking incompetent.

Glad it all worked out though. If you see any other bubbling start anywhere else on the vehicle, keep taking pictures and don't take No for an answer. Photos are for a law suit, should one ever be needed (paint jobs aren't cheap). No environmental factor would cause the bubbling and peeling you are seeing on this new of a vehicle.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Paint chip should not spread to peeling in the entire area, unless the paint job is/was poor in the first place. Peeling like you describe is usually from when the paint isn't allowed to cure long enough before they slap on the final clear coat. In other words, the bond between the paint and clear coat is compromised when the paint isn't fully dried.

It appears the primer coat might be the issue in your case, the paint is lifting away too easily.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I had a very small chip in the front fascia. I bought the touch up paint kit, took it to their body shop, and had them put the color on. They did not charge me anything for doing it, as I am a very good customer.

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
I have a problem getting the silver paint for the panel on the front and back of a 2014 Encore Premium. A rock gouged the paint off, the dealer says they can't get the silver color touch up paint, only paint the actual color of the vehicle itself, which I already have. Any ideas?

rgt50wood

Buick Ownership
2014 White Encore Premium FWD
I have a problem getting the silver paint for the panel on the front and back of a 2014 Encore Premium. A rock gouged the paint off, the dealer says they can't get the silver color touch up paint, only paint the actual color of the vehicle itself, which I already have. Any ideas?

Have you tried this: http://www.paintscratch.com/ .
They have some bumper paint for the Encore and apparently can provide special colors on request