• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Passenger air bag

Pattilou2

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
I have a 2018 Buick Regal Tour X. . . Is there any way to temporarily turn the passenger air bag(s) off? My husband just had heart surgery where they had to break his sternum. He’s supposed to sit in the back, (so he doesn’t get injured by the front air bag), but we’ve discovered he gets motion sickness sitting back there. We would appreciate any help we can get. Thank you

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I would say you could try disconnecting the weight sensor in the seat but most modern sensors are fail safe. They constantly monitor sensors for things like this...that can either mean you get a warning on the dash, it over rides sensor or it could even fault out the entire SRS system. The most likely thing is a warning message but I would ask a dealer first since they would/should know how the systems are designed to work/fail.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
Red needle TourX
First of all. Wishing good recovery.

Possibly may need to take it to the dealer and recalibrate the weight sensor afterwards. I would check with the service manager what they know.

Chef jpd

SUPPORTING MEMBER
NYC
Buick Ownership
2020 Regal TourX essence
If an incident occurred that required the front airbags to fire, and the passenger side was disconnected, just imagine what that seatbelt pressure would do to your husband's sternum.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him, but don't create even more problems...

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
If an incident occurred that required the front airbags to fire, and the passenger side was disconnected, just imagine what that seatbelt pressure would do to your husband's sternum.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him, but don't create even more problems...
He would likely be wearing it in the rear seat too. At least in my state it is still required by law.

ulycyc

Long Island, New York
Buick Ownership
1987 Turbo Buick, 2001 Park Ave Ultra
Your car should be equipped with a Passenger Airbag Cut Off Switch (PACOS). Where it is and how to do it, you should check with the dealership.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence, 1985 Skyhawk T-Type, 1982 Regal Coupe, 1970 Skylark sedan
Yes, wishing for a good recovery. I do not know if/how to turn off a front-seat passenger side air bag on a TourX, but I haven't really looked for that..

I went thru a sternum-breaking procedure a few years ago. Our vehicles at that time had no way to turn off the front passenger bag. We (including doctors and people that have gone thru it), decided any vehicular accident would be bad/painful (it hurt just moving around at first), and to just have me make one passenger trip home and stay put for a while, and that the airbag would likely be better than just a seatbelt anyway.

Recollection is that I likely slowed that sternum-healing from trying to do too much, but the bones did re-fuse,

I am interested if there is a way to turn it off, and we are pulling for your husband's full recovery - my positive-thoughts are out to him.