Passenger half-shaft

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
First, thanks again to the members who posted with help on my last thread regarding the cv shaft on the drivers side.
In relation to the aforementioned post, I’ve migrated to the passenger side. There seems to be an issue with the correct shaft not being available at the 3 major auto parts stores near me. The one that was original is a tad over 29” and nothing on the shelf is more than 27”. I tried one of them thinking the “play” would account for the shortness, it backed out of the output seal and the splines were ground down on about 1/4 of the circumference of the shaft.

Has anyone else had this issue?
3 different places have the wrong part?

Fortunately the car has been in my family since new, I heard a story of the transmission going out around 20-30k and the dealer replaced the transmission under warranty by fault of some sort of module. Is it possible the warranty replacement trans required a longer shaft that today’s aftermarket isn’t aware of?

I feel like that’s a stretch but I’m at a bit of a loss, going to call some driveline shops in the morning, but I’m very interested in any/everybodies input.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
have you looked up the part number yourself from the 3 different places to confirm they were giving you the correct part?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure if the driver / passenger side is of different lengths, but it could be that simple if they could pull both to see. Sometimes it's that R or L gets confused with driver or passenger side. The only thing I saw was a difference on final drive ratios but no lengths on shafts given, checking the transmission for ID tags may help on what is installed.

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
Not sure if the driver / passenger side is of different lengths, but it could be that simple if they could pull both to see. Sometimes it's that R or L gets confused with driver or passenger side. The only thing I saw was a difference on final drive ratios but no lengths on shafts given, checking the transmission for ID tags may help on what is installed.
They are not interchangeable, driver side is a female connection, passenger is male

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
All '01 LeSabre transmissions were 4L65E, so I can not imagine aything else but what the the recommend CV shaft was as being compatible! Are you sure the CV shaft was installed properly? It sounds like SUN TING WONG here!

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
have you looked up the part number yourself from the 3 different places to confirm they were giving you the correct part?
Yes, the one autozone had wasn’t even the right type of shaft. These cars have a tri-pot design on the inboard joint. They had a regular cv shaft from what looked like a 4x4

Liebo

Buick Newbie
Detroit area
Buick Ownership
'01 Lesabre custom
All '01 LeSabre transmissions were 4L65E, so I can not imagine aything else but what the the recommend CV shaft was as being compatible! Are you sure the CV shaft was installed properly? It sounds like SUN TING WONG here!
It was installed correctly, I took it out and measured the original at 29”5/16 and the replacement was 25 7/8

Merkava_4

5.7L LS1 Member
Clovis, CA
Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre
The passanger side is the short side since that's the side with the tail shaft on the transmission.

What I do is use RockAuto for the part numbers and then verify their part numbers with Amazon.

RockAuto is the easiest site to look up part numbers.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
There is nothing listed anywhere that I can find for a ' 29”5/16 right passenger side CV shaft on the '01 LeSabre. This is very strange! All replacement sites that I have found are showing 25 7/8".

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
It was a p.i.t.a. But it’s back on the road now. I hope I’m the only one that deals with this lol. Thanks for the input!
For those who may face the same experience, what was the CV length solution and what was the shaft you used?? PART#?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.