Passive Unlock

tmichelena

Laramie, WY
Buick
Hi guys,
I just purchased a 2013 Verano Premium to go with the 2012 Regal Turbo P3. One question I haven't figured out: Does this have true passive unlock? I've set all doors open under every lock option in the settings and cannot get it to unlock by simply pulling open the door handle. I have to press the button which unlocks it. On the Regal, you simply pull open the handle. Albeit, the Regal has no passive lock which I really love about the Verano!!

Thanks,
Tom

longislander

LI, NY
'15 Encore Premium FWD White Pearl/Saddle (wife's car)
I don't know that answer but I'm glad to meet someone else with a '13 Verano and a '12 Regal ! My (wife's) Verano is the Convenience in Summit White/Cashmere, and my Regal is a GS in Smoky Gray with the 19-inch wheels and Automatic.

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
I've seen the totally passive unlock on other cars, and I envy it. Alas, we don't have it. From page 2-4 of the manual:

When the doors are locked and the
RKE transmitter is within 1 m (3 ft)
of the driver door handle, pressing
the lock/unlock button on the driver
door handle will unlock the driver
door. If the lock/unlock button is
pressed again within five seconds,
all passenger doors will unlock. Pull
the door handle to unlatch the door.

When looking this up, I noticed an option on page 2-5 to make the doors lock automatically when you exit the car. I was unaware of this, and am going to have to try changing my settings to use it! I guess that is the passive lock you refer to.

miou

Buick Verano
Prior posts are correct. The '12 Verano had passive unlock, but the '13 does not.

Personally, I prefer it, because the passive unlock on the '12 didn't always work for me so you sat there tugging on the handle over and over :(

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Personally, I prefer it, because the passive unlock on the '12 didn't always work for me so you sat there tugging on the handle over and over :(
I had this same issue on my LaCrosse. In addition, my remote range got dramatically shorter- from a few hundred feet down to about 30. I assumed these issues were unrelated.

I talked to my service manager and he didn't know anything about the door pulling thing but he replaced the 'remote control door lock receiver' in an attempt to fix the remote range.

Guess what? Both problems went away. Range is super far again and doors open every time on the first pull. Good stuff!

tmichelena

Laramie, WY
Buick
Thanks guys! Sounds like we all learned something. I really like the passive lock system. Honestly, if I got to choose, I'd take that over the passive unlock. Pressing one button seems pretty easy to do...

Thanks,
Tom

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
We don't have passive lock on the LaCrosse but we do have 'delayed lock'. Press the lock button on the dash and the car makes a ding sound (just letting you know it's active). 5 seconds after the last door shuts, all doors lock. Eh, it works. Most times I just hit the driver door plunger on the way out, that locks all doors too.

Mikebinok

Oklahoma
2013 Buick Verano Turbo
And I found the menu setting for passive lock this evening, set it, tested it, and it works!

verano4u

2019 Sportback
I don't have the passive lock/unlock on my Verano but on my other car I have it and it's a great feature. I set it to honk the horn once when it locks. That way I know that it worked......although I have never ran back to check if it was locked and whenever I come back to the car it always opens up for me. (fob in pocket). As far as I know my car can be messin' with me when it honks once. :D

cjmnews

Buick Verano 2012, BuicK Terraza 2007, Chevrolet Trailblazer 2003
My 2012 has the passive unlock. It is nice for me.

My wife does not like it because she has to wait for me to open my door to get in. So I use the FOB when I am with her.

You don't have to use the horn to indicate that it locked, I let it flash the blinkers as the indicator so I don't wake people.

tmccord27

Buick
I set my passive unlock setting to open all locks from any door. This works well for my five year old daughter who always seems in a hurry... Pretty sure she got that from me... but I love the Passive system. Never have to remove the key from pocket.

icemantx

2013 Buick Verano Turbo
So are 2013 owners saying that they DO NOT have to push the button on the handle to unlock the doors if Passive Unlock is set to On?

I have a 2013 Turbo and for me when I walk up to it I have to push the button to unlock the doors - when it is set to just driver or all doors. My Verano does not unlock just by pulling on the handle when the keys are in my pocket.

Passive Lock does work well and I like that the horn can be set to beep to verify it is locked.

Turbo Buick Badge