• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Paying for Fuel with GM Marketplace App (Demo/Review)

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I've been using the Marketplace App to pay for gas and wanted to share my experience since there's not much discussion about it. I have an Exxon Mobil Rewards account, so that's what I linked to. I am guessing the app works similarly for Shell and 76. Getting it set up was very simple and only required a login. After that, it's as easy as shown below:

It's reliable for the most part, but there are times when it seems the app and the gas station just aren't on the same page. Additionally, after "OK" is pressed to begin fueling, there's a limited time to start pumping gas. I would guess the pump times out after about 30 seconds and then you either have to get back in the car and go through the process again or just use your card like normal...

While I know it is not for everyone, I like it for a few reasons. I don't need to pull out my wallet, I don't have to touch as many of the pump's surfaces, and it eliminates the possibility of my card info getting skimmed. Granted, I can use the app on my phone to do the same thing the Marketplace App does, but I like having the flexibility.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks...I haven't tried it yet but maybe I will give it a shot. Two questions; I guess based on GPS it already knows which gas station your at? And do you have the GM data plan are are you using your phone as a hot spot?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I guess based on GPS it already knows which gas station your at?
Correct.

And do you have the GM data plan or are you using your phone as a hotspot?
Nope! I have the Basic Plan that came with the purchase of the car. According the MyBuick app, the Basic Plan includes:
  • Vehicle Diagnostics
  • Dealer Maintenance Notification
  • Buick Smart Driver
  • Marketplace

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
No Costco though... :unsure:

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Nope! I have the Basic Plan that came with the purchase of the car. According the MyBuick app, the Basic Plan includes:
  • Vehicle Diagnostics
  • Dealer Maintenance Notification
  • Buick Smart Driver
  • Marketplace
Didn't know it included marketplace...I thought early on when I didn't have the data it said I needed a connection. But maybe that was to download the apps. I will have to give it a try.

obsoletemachine

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have tried it but it doesn't work. For some reason I already receive errors. Even with the Exxon mobile App, it never works. I pretty much despise Exxon now, I'm sure it's unfounded but even manually putting in my EW Rewards info it's a chore, as it always asks me for a PIN to redeem and I have no idea. Anywho, I'm rambling now.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I find the whole thing is a pain in the “where the sun don’t shine”.
Tried it. If I have to jump through all those hoops to use it, I don’t want it. (Exception below).

I connect with my phone “Personal Hot Spot” not the OnStar that I’d have to pay for.
I sometimes use the “Weather Channel” app however to get a good FAST connection, I have to have the Personal Hot Spot on, before I get into car. If I don’t have Personal Hot Spot on until after starting car, it takes me many tries before I can connect. I only use the car Weather Channel app when I’m on a trip and want to keep up to date minute by minute. Otherwise, I just use the MyRadar app on my phone.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!