• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Performance Programming?

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
I posted this in the Racing Forum, but haven't got a response. Has anyone gone to the effort and expense of getting a tune for the 3.6 V6? There is one from a company called Performance Programming that offers 15 more HP, improved (they say) gas mileage, and crisper shifting and takeoff. Of course we are talking about only 5% more HP -- so any other improvements would have to be really noticeable to justify $350. Anybody done that, or tried another tune company?

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot...rod... Buick?

I think the stock 300hp provides more than ample power to make the LaCrosse haul, but let us know how you make out.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot...rod... Buick?

I think the stock 300hp provides more than ample power to make the LaCrosse haul, but let us know how you make out.
If it were going to be a big HP jump, I'd consider it, but for only 15 more horses, it seems really overpriced. I certainly am not finding the 300 HP engine to be underpowered!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Give it a try, those programs will change things enough so you’ll notice the difference. They come from the factory middle of the road. Can vouch for my other car- 2 different keys, 1 for street and other for track; that’s the one I use for street.

Much though depends on driving habits and probably use of premium gas. A lot to do with speed of timing advance and higher rpm shift points with auto, fuel enrichment and other variables. Best not to overdo too much, when problems begin. Stay away from the Nitrous Oxide lmao. Just MHO......

Last edited:

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium AWD
i doubt a tune would do enough by itself to make the cost worthwhile. if someone came up with a complete sport package with exhaust, intake, and tune I could see HP increasing from 310 to 340-350. That would be a noticeable improvement but there would not be enough interest so nobody would ever develop it.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Buick Lacrosse Performance Chips | Power Programmers — CARiD.com Some good common sense replies so far but doubt too as anybody’s taken the leap lmao. You pay for horsepower but you feel torque. I’ve been modifying ECU’s since ‘84. Doesn’t mean anything, but you drive a Buick and afraid to spend an extra $400, it’ll never be more than a 4 or 6 cylinder anyways? Even the Grand National, as quick as those were still had the “six” sound.

In the old days such a upgrade might be a set of tubing headers and duals. Never again that route, lt did sound pretty good though. The LaCrosse is definitely an old man’s car (yup, me too) but I’ve floored mine on several occasions and the engine performs OK but lacking to the rear wheels, just lacking the oomph. Know your place and limitations is my point, too many irrational drivers on the road these days. The LaCrosse is just wound out too soon but great for normal driving habits.

Stay away from Ford if looking for tune that’s CARB compliment, you’ll pay more than $300-400 and that was when they were cheap. But it’s true, with choppy idle engaged (4 camshafts), sitting over on the Mechanic Falls bridge waiting for light to change- can feel the entire bridge shudder, not my LaCrosse of coarse. Example below: Track Cal - Ford Performance Parts Other car not GT, but what’s available for today.

Like this topic, look forward towards further conversation......

Last edited:
Pedal Commander