Phone Call quality at highway speed?

Thread starter #1

g_608213

Close to leasing a 2019 Preferred Encore. Can anyone comment on phone call audio quality while driving on the highway? Any issues with clarity or background noise either in the car or on the other end? I use android auto in my current car and the aftermarket head unit has good call quality on both ends. Want to make sure I'm not going to take a step backward. I'll probably do another test drive to hear for myself, but would love to hear from current owners! Thanks!

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I can't speak for a 2019 but call quality in our 2016 is excellent at freeway speeds. Buick did a really good job with noise cancellation in the cabin.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
LOL.... I was thinking the opposite. I guess noise levels are probably more subjective than objective.

Just my opinion, you know everyone has one... :) and I'm not trying to start anything!!
But I think the Encore is actually fairly noisy for a "modern" vehicle, at least when it comes to interior noise levels.

Having ridden in my Brother's 2017 quite a lot, including some longer jaunts in excess of a couple of hours.
Interior noise levels have came up as subject of conversation more than a couple of times. And my brother agrees with me that it is not the quietest vehicle on the road or even the quietest either of us have ever owned. Not sure it makes any difference, but he has the Preferred II trim level.

Again, just an opinion, and a decibel meter could prove me wrong.

Buick Ownership
Kevin, I think what we're talking about is not if it's the quietest on the road, but that it's quiet enough for good call quality. And from experience I can say that it is.

Are there quieter cars? At this price range there better be quieter cars. But for what this is it's very quiet. Certainly quieter than most CUVs I've ridden in.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Hey Doc, I don't disagree that as far as using blue-toothed phone, it is quiet enough for that.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but when I'm in a vehicle that can sticker for over $30,000, I usually expect more.
But then again, I think ALL vehicles today are grossly overpriced. $60 - $80,000 pickup trucks for example!!!

As a disclaimer, I am also probably spoiled by my 2013 Buick Verano.
It is exceptionally quiet for vehicles in it's class, and most other classes for that matter.
Buick actually got it right with that one.
A lot of professional reviewers for the Verano have also commented on it's low interior noise levels.

A friend of mine says that my Verano is quieter than her Mercedes C300.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
LOL are you looking for a phone booth or a vehicle? Step backwards from what? Rent one for a week, make all the calls you want at 70 mph in different areas and see if it meets your calling needs, cheaper than signing a lease and not getting your requirements filled.

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey Doc, I don't disagree that as far as using blue-toothed phone, it is quiet enough for that.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but when I'm in a vehicle that can sticker for over $30,000, I usually expect more.
But then again, I think ALL vehicles today are grossly overpriced. $60 - $80,000 pickup trucks for example!!!
Sadly, a $30,000 sticker is less than average according to this article: Average New-Car Prices Up More Than 1 Percent Year-Over-Year for December 2018, Closing the Strongest Year of Growth Since 2013, According to Kelley Blue Book

IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The analysts at Kelley Blue Book today reported the estimated average transaction price for light vehicles in the United Stateswas $37,577 in December 2018. New-vehicle prices increased (up 1.3 percent) from December 2017, while decreasing $93 (down 0.2 percent) from last month.

I think $40,000 and over sticker is the new baseline for "luxury" level now.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
I believe that. The Mercedes C class is nice but not all that high end as they want people to think it is.
I don't disagree. But try to tell that to some of their owners. Same goes for BMW.
But the Verano interior noise levels do compare very favorably to vehicles twice it's price.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Sadly, a $30,000 sticker is less than average according to this article: Average New-Car Prices Up More Than 1 Percent Year-Over-Year for December 2018, Closing the Strongest Year of Growth Since 2013, According to Kelley Blue Book

IRVINE, Calif., Jan. 3, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The analysts at Kelley Blue Book today reported the estimated average transaction price for light vehicles in the United Stateswas $37,577 in December 2018. New-vehicle prices increased (up 1.3 percent) from December 2017, while decreasing $93 (down 0.2 percent) from last month.

I think $40,000 and over sticker is the new baseline for "luxury" level now.
Oh... I am well aware of current average vehicle prices. IMO, vehicle are just way overpriced compared to what I think they are actually worth. I look at the 1 - 3 year depreciation as evidence. Even with low mile usage of 10,000 miles a year or less, most vehicles still take a beating in depreciation. Buyers needing 5, 7 or more years to pay for them are also evidence that the vehicle prices have WAY outpaced wages and average inflation. But economics is a whole other discussion for another day.... :)

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Eh, a properly maintained vehicle will last 10 years 150,000 miles pretty easily these days. My office has a few way over 100,000 miles and over ten years old and all they ever get is oil changes. Still run and drive fine.

Some of the excess cost is government mandated safety and emission stuff they keep adding requirements for.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo

As a disclaimer, I am also probably spoiled by my 2013 Buick Verano.
It is exceptionally quiet for vehicles in it's class, and most other classes for that matter.
Buick actually got it right with that one.
A lot of professional reviewers for the Verano have also commented on it's low interior noise levels.

A friend of mine says that my Verano is quieter than her Mercedes C300.
To the original poster's questions, call clarity is fine but IMO, earlier Encores generated a lot of road noise. My partner and I work about 35-40 miles from home in opposite directions. We tend to call each other during our evening commutes and I've noticed lately how much background noise his '14 Encore (Leather trim) emits vs. my Verano so I agree with Kevin on the Verano's relative lack of cabin noise. I can even discern when my partner stops at a traffic light because the road roar ceases. He swapped the OEM Continentals for Firestone tires about 15 months ago but the noise levels didn't change appreciably.

The OP should try test calls with the Encore parked then driving with the window(s) open and closed, if he or she hasn't already done so.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
There was a time when it was said if you couldn't afford to pay off a car in 3 years it was too expensive for you.
Wow!!! I thought I was the only one that had heard that old adage.
I first heard it was from a Bank President in the late 70's.
It's an adage that for me still holds true and that I follow.

IMO, even with the low or zero interest rates, most vehicles still depreciate faster than you will be paying it off if you finance for more than 3 years. Hence the term, "being upside down with your loan".

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Back in those days, warranties were short and the vehicles needed lots of maintenance or rusted away.
If you wanted to make a rule of thumb now, 5 years would be more reasonable than 3, imho. Of course, Dave Ramsey would say cash is king.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
Back in those days, warranties were short and the vehicles needed lots of maintenance or rusted away.
If you wanted to make a rule of thumb now, 5 years would be more reasonable than 3, imho. Of course, Dave Ramsey would say cash is king.
I always thought cash was king until I bought my 2013 Verano in late 2016.
I made a cash offer of X number of dollars for the vehicle.
Dealer wouldn't take the offer as cash.
BUT.... They would take that offer if I financed at least $10,000 of it for at least 3 years.
I'm guessing they get some sort of signing fee or kickback from the lending institution.

So I financed the 10,000 for 3 years, paid cash for the price difference, sales tax, and fees.
Paid off the loan in 13 months to avoid an early payoff penalty.
Paid a little in interest charges, but nothing significant.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
As a note to the above comments, it's a older article but it shows how long it has been out there.

Subprime Carmageddon: Specialized Lenders Begin to Collapse

Dealers make very little on car cash sales. Used vehicles is the cash cow, with finance, extended warranty programs, add on's and service is where the money is being made.

Phone quality is somewhat subjective as all things need to be identical, level, balance, volume, carrier, phone type and OS. Also the user has to know how to operate and set it up properly, which by some of the posts on the forum there are still a few people who are technically challenged LOL.

Buick Ownership
The reason dealers don't want to do cash transactions over 10k has to do with reporting requirements. It's tied to the Bank Secrecy Act which is intended to deter fraud and money laundering. I've never had a problem paying cash for cars under 10k. When we bought our travel trailer they didn't want it in cash, they preferred a loan of at least 10k. The balance (under 10k) was fine in cash.

Report of Cash Payments Over 10000 Received in a Trade or Business Motor Vehicle Dealership QAs | Internal Revenue Service
Bank Secrecy Act - The $10,000 Rule

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The purchase of a vehicle with a cashier's check, bank draft, traveler's check or money order with a face amount of more than $10,000 is not treated as cash and a business does not have to file Form 8300 when it receives them.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.