Plastic Cladding on Wheelwells - Remove?

Thread starter #1

duckrock

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
So, if you read the blogs, etc (Jalopnik?), you will see a lot of unhappiness that the US got plastic cladding on the wheel wells since the European Insignia version does not have this. Myself, I am OK either way and my cladding is not too noticeable because my TourX is dark blue.

This thread is to see if anyone has or plans to remove the cladding and see what is underneath. There is speculation that it is bonded or snapped in place, whether or not there are holes underneath and how it would look without them. And whether body shop work would be needed to do this job... any takers? (I wont be doing this, dont have the funds to fix it if I mess it up).
16284979498x640.jpg

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
The cladding cannot be removed. Opel has two versions of the wagon, the Sports Tourer (without cladding) and the Country Tourer (with cladding and taller tires). The Country Tourer is our TourX.

Even if you filled in the clips on the side, the black plastic continues into the front and rear bumpers so you would need to buy the front and rear bumpers from the Sports Tourer.

http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/insignia/country-tourer/uebersicht.html

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
The cladding cannot be removed.
You mean: The cladding cannot EASILY be removed WITHOUT LEAVING A COSMETIC MESS.

It's plastic. I'm betting it's just held on with clips, or there might be a couple screws holding it.

The question is what's underneath... If it looks like the Sports Tourer, then it's easy.

If there holes in the metal fenders, then that's unsightly (though maybe less unsightly than the blastic).

As for the transition to the blastic under the front and rear bumpers: Dremel. Done.

So, DuckRock, grab a hold of one of those and give it a good yank...

More: Looking at this photo, the blastic above the wheel arch, over the metal fender, must be a separate piece from the metal fender. The part along the fender (from 1:00 to 3:00) looks like it's an integral part of the bumper. That would be tough to change...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...-volkswagen/#2018-buick-regal-deer-accident-1

IL
Buick Ownership
none
If we do get the Sports Tourer stateside, would you want to keep AWD only or have a FWD model at lower cost (say around $27.5k or $28k) and slightly better fuel economy (probably 1-2mpg improvement all around)? Maybe they would offer AWD only on the Essence trim.

(of course, totally getting ahead of myself here, but fun to talk about it)

And I wonder what it would look like if the plastic cladding were just color-matched to the rest of the body. anyone good with photoshop?

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
If we do get the Sports Tourer stateside, would you want to keep AWD only or have a FWD model at lower cost (say around $27.5k or $28k) and slightly better fuel economy (probably 1-2mpg improvement all around)? Maybe they would offer AWD only on the Essence trim.

(of course, totally getting ahead of myself here, but fun to talk about it)

And I wonder what it would look like if the plastic cladding were just color-matched to the rest of the body. anyone good with photoshop?
Yes. A SportsTourer with FWD would be ideal, especially if it cost less.

Our old Outback is one of the ones with the plastic in the body color, and it looks farrrrrr better than the 2-tone.

waz

Buick Newbie
North of Asheville, NC
Buick Ownership
none (yet), though my first car when I was 16 was a '64 Skylark convertible
Man, I'm with you on wanting to get rid of the blastic cladding.

On an otherwise seriously goodlooking car, that stuff is like a giant zit on the nose of Miss America.

I was considering having the crap over the wheel wells painted the body color and leaving the rest alone.

Thoughts?

Morgs1969

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Would love to see how black plastic looks when painted body color. Don't have tour x yet but definitely want to paint them.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo
I too would love see a version sport version without the cladding - but with AWD. A GS version would be too much to ask for but that would be my ultimate. And, yes, with paddle shifters! :)

IL
Buick Ownership
none
Good luck... AFAIK it's difficult/impossible to paint that black plastic stuff.
It's not like they're using some special graffiti-proof polymer. With the proper prep and application, shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a metallic/pearl paint job, where it's difficult to perfectly match regardless.

Jacksonville, Florida
Buick Ownership
15 EcoBoost Mustang
Would love to see how black plastic looks when painted body color. Don't have tour x yet but definitely want to paint them.
Either painted or totally removed. the Opels don't have it on there, so it's something Buick added for the U.S. I get that Buick is trying to make it there own, but sometime you just need to leave well enough alone! 1200px-Opel_Insignia_Sports_Tourer_1.5_DIT_Innovation_(B)_–_Frontansicht,_12._Mai_2017,_Düs...jpg

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
As Bahama Todd stated above - Opel has two versions of the wagon, the Sports Tourer (without cladding) and the Country Tourer (with cladding and taller tires). The Country Tourer is our TourX. Buick did not add the cladding for the US market.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Either painted or totally removed. the Opels don't have it on there, so it's something Buick added for the U.S. I get that Buick is trying to make it there own, but sometime you just need to leave well enough alone!
No, it's not just being added for the US. Both Opel and Vauxhall have a cladded version of their own as well:
Insignia Country Tourer | A Real Offroader | Opel Ireland
All-new Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer | Vauxhall

I agree that the non-cladded versions look better, but honestly after seeing it in person at the test drive and actually owning one for a few weeks so far, the look has grown on me. I've fallen in love with my wagon, cladding or not :).

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I think the plastic cladding is great !

It will protect the paint from stone chips. because if it's wasn't for the stone chips, water would not get on the metal and start rusting. Notice how wheel wells are very popular for rust to start hanging out at ?

Painting them to match the rest of the car is the only thing I would consider.

tinmanwpk

Buick Ownership
n/a
This...this plastic cladding is the one major thing holding me back from totally loving this car. Well, the plastic cladding and the engine auto-stop/start.

I have been waiting for a while so the body shops can gain some knowledge as to whether or not this plastic can be painted to match the body color.

Audi Allroad has an option to have the crappy plastic painted, and it looks amazing. The paint is a "must have" part of my investigation before I buy one of these.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.