Please help: Removing rear view mirror from 'mounting button'

LandShark©

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
'98 Buick LeSabre Custom. Rear view mirror adhesive has finally failed. I have the new adhesive but I'm having loads of trouble trying to figure out how to remove the mirror from the 'mounting button.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LandShark©

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Figured it out. The mounting button slides right out of the mirror with a little (a lot, really) help from a small flat head screw driver.

Anyone that even thought about helping me... thanks.

LandShark©

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
You are most welcome. Glad I found this place.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Figured it out. The mounting button slides right out of the mirror with a little (a lot, really) help from a small flat head screw driver.

Remounting the mirror to the button after you let it cure on the windshield for a day or two is tricky. On my '98 If I pull it down and get a snap, it sometimes wiggles loose after some time and the mirror starts shaking with car movements. I have to really give the mirror a downward pull that's sharp to get it to snap onto the button all the way.

Last edited:

G-186961

Did you slide it down or just pry in out any way you could? Also what kind of glue did you use?

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
Did you slide it down or just pry in out any way you could? Also what kind of glue did you use?
IIRC (10 years later) he hit the mirror with a sledge hammer and used Gorilla glue

imidazol97

Top Dog
There is a special glue like instant glue or crazy glue at the auto parts stores--Walmart even. It
is for gluing to the glass. As I recall use alcohol to clean the glass first.

Pushing the mirror bracket down onto the part on the windshield after it has cured required
a definite snapping force to get mirror to snap over the high spot so it would stay in place
and not slip upward with the car vibration.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!