plug in backup camera?

trevgtp

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
i know there are plenty of solutions for the backup camera in terms of external screen, but does anyone know if theres a way to plug it into our pretty stock one? when i took the dash apart for the "touch screen bezel" fix, there were 3 connectors into the screen, all proprietary and was wondering if theres an a/v input that we could plug the camera into and use the reverse sensor to activate..i do wish so...

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
The screen uses LVDS for data transmission. There is a box you can buy from China for around $300 that seems to do what you want. I'll try to dig up the link tonight. I know some Opel guys use them. I want to, but I can't justify spending that much..

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
I managed to get in touch with the supplier and they suggested I become a distributor. Out of curiosity, what are people willing to pay for a DIY kit? It would be about the same difficulty as a stereo install. My cost target is $280 for the adapter box, cables, and camera. I think I can meet that. I'd of course have to test it myself first, just not sure I want to pony up the $350 they want for the single unit..

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
If its factory-look, uses the stock screen, and switches automatically in reverse (6-spd GS here), I'm in.

I will be in too. Has anyone looked at the LaCrosse set up to see if there is something that can be melted in?

postman2

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Would love to have one in our automatic for the right price!

Kevin
kllpc@att.net

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Pulled the trigger. I figured I didn't need it tomorrow, so I opted for the ultra-slow shipping (insured) to save some coin. We'll see in 4-6 weeks if it works like OEM. I will take pictures of the whole install, and if all goes well, will begin selling kits at that time.

nhflyer

I looked at those a while ago, they fit several GM models. But the tricky part is getting it to the built-in screen, so I didn't look into it further, til now.

Wish there was a kit you could get from Buick.. The radio used in the Regal is used in many other GM models, many of which have a backup camera, so it would seem to me to be an easy upgrade.

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes, the camera is the easy part. Unfortunately, using a GM solution means you need GM software... and an MDI or access to the GM TIS software. The piece I'm using is a "pass-through", which means it doesn't need any special software. It lets the video pass through except in reverse, and when you shift, it switches inputs. The radio thinks it's still displaying on the screen.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

12GSMN

5.7L Member
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I wonder if GenTex (rear view mirror company) is developing a plug and play fit for the Regal. This is where the screen appears on the mirror. The camera on the rear has a transmitter, hooked up to your back up light harness and the mirror then shows the display in the left corner. They have replacement mirrors for other vehicles but not for ours yet. I would be happy with that version, they cost around $275 to $350.

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
The first part of the install is done. I have my camera in and wires brought from the trunk to the dash. It wasn't hard at all - maybe 20 or 30 minutes. I tucked the wires under the interior door sill plastic for now. It's not perfect, but it might be good enough. I have pictures that I will post when I get the LVDS interface in and installed.

I do have concerns that the cameras are angled wrong... It seems to be aimed at the driver's side pretty strongly.

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
It works! Automatic switching in reverse and a button to lock it onto the display, plus two extra RCA inputs (and a VGA)... But I can't put the car back together. The cable they provided was too short, and its unfortunately a special order (50 pin FFC / 500 mm long). I'll try to post a picture from the cam on Friday since I'm heading out on a quick trip now. I can't wait until I get the right cable!

edit: found the cable I need... 10 days and $60, bringing my cost to $350... But there are no economies of scale and the cable issue is a big factor. I think I'd be able to do a kit for $350, or just the interface for $275.. Once it's completely buttoned up, I'll run the numbers and do a gauge of interest.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners