Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Smoked Pearl Metallic

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
Hi all!

Been lurking for awhile...decided with current prices/incentives on 2018s it is a good time to finally pull the trigger and bring one home.

Typically hate black, but finally looked at one today in person and it was quite nice. Did a good job hiding the plastic cladding. Essence trim, all 3 packages (loaded) for $28k. Local. If I can score it sub $30k OTD I will likely buy. Sitting on the lot for >9 months now. If they dont want to play ball, maybe I can get the color I really like - smoked pearl metallic - in the near future.

What is everyone’s favorite color for the wagon?

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
My Sportback is White Frost Tri-Coat because it was the one in stock with the packages I wanted. I would have preferred Night Blue Metallic or Carageen Metallic; the white pearl was my third choice but they had one in stock.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I mostly live in Florida. Here and in most HOT Southern States, White is the way to go.

If you should go for Black, and you've never had a Black car, you'll be sorry. Not only because of the heat, but because you cant keep it clean. Well, perhaps for 5 minutes. Also, it shows EVERY SCRATCH.

I've had two black cars in my lifetime.
1973 Pontiac Grand Am.
2003 Mercury Marauder.

Never again. Black.
NEVER.

Guest-309165

Our sportback is the quick silver metallic. I wanted sport red. My wife wanted the silver. We got the silver and we like it. But man the tri-coat white is really cool!

Loodle

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Hi all!

Been lurking for awhile...decided with current prices/incentives on 2018s it is a good time to finally pull the trigger and bring one home.

Typically hate black, but finally looked at one today in person and it was quite nice. Did a good job hiding the plastic cladding. Essence trim, all 3 packages (loaded) for $28k. Local. If I can score it sub $30k OTD I will likely buy. Sitting on the lot for >9 months now. If they dont want to play ball, maybe I can get the color I really like - smoked pearl metallic - in the near future.

What is everyone’s favorite color for the wagon?
I went with the black as it was the best deal and configuration that I could find locally. In a perfect world I liked the blue, but there weren't many of those around and I wanted a black interior. The smoked pearl does looks nice as well as the red.

White? I dislike white the same way people seem to hate black.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Smoked pearl metallic was my favorite and whitefrost tricoat was my least favorite. Due to a somewhat non-standard 'negotiation', I ended up with the whitefrost tricoat.

3 months later... I love the Tricoat!

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Been wondering - how is the Tricoat white different than the stock white? I assume they mean it has 3 coats, but is it pearlescent or ... ?

LeeH

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
My guess, based on years of experience in OEM paint is that the basic white is a single pack (base and clear combined in a single coat over the primer). The tricoat does have a pure clear coat applied over the 1. base, 2. the peal effect..thus the lustre and durability. Not many vehicles today have a seperate clear coat as a final application...thus the upcharge. I owned a pure white Honda that lost it's lustre three years in and had to be repainted. Under warranty Honda paid $4,000.00 to repaint and I could choose a real base and clear coat from PPG. When I traded it in ten years later it looked like it was right out of the showroom. I expect the white frost tricoat to perform the same.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
My guess, based on years of experience in OEM paint is that the basic white is a single pack (base and clear combined in a single coat over the primer). The tricoat does have a pure clear coat applied over the 1. base, 2. the peal effect..thus the lustre and durability. Not many vehicles today have a seperate clear coat as a final application...thus the upcharge. I owned a pure white Honda that lost it's lustre three years in and had to be repainted. Under warranty Honda paid $4,000.00 to repaint and I could choose a real base and clear coat from PPG. When I traded it in ten years later it looked like it was right out of the showroom. I expect the white frost tricoat to perform the same.
Thanks, @LeeH!

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
Sport Red. All others are irrelevant :p

I actually fell in love with that style of red with my previous car (2010 Genesis Coupe). I wasn't even planning on buying that color originally when I got that car, but I saw it in person and had to have it.

Fast forward to more recently, and I was beyond ecstatic that my dealer was able to locate a Sport Red TourX with the exact options I wanted (panoramic roof, Sights & Sounds package, cloth seats).

Last edited:

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I'm not a fan of white cars when we have car-sized snowbanks a few months of the year. I'd prefer to be visible, but not bright-red visible. My Darkmoon Blue contrasts well with snowbanks, and looks black under a lot of streetlights. When the sun hits it right, it's really pretty. Europe gets some additional color options that I would have preferred too.

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I actually wanted a color so I chose Rioja. I'm not a white or black or grey fan. I like blue, but the Dark Moon Blue might as well be black. I can live with silver. I've never seen the TourX in sport red except in pics. I may have chosen that color if one was available locally.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I'm not a fan of white cars when we have car-sized snowbanks a few months of the year. I'd prefer to be visible, but not bright-red visible. My Darkmoon Blue contrasts well with snowbanks, and looks black under a lot of streetlights. When the sun hits it right, it's really pretty. Europe gets some additional color options that I would have preferred too.
In Europe you can get any color you want through their Exclusive program. That would have been a pretty cool option for us.
Vauxhall Exclusive

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Lee, I spend a lot of time in OEM paint shops and I have never seen a separate process for a different color or quality of paint. I believe they all go through the same line in the same amount of time, but since these cars are painted in Germany it might be different. Pretty common to do 5 layers (e-coat, primer, anti-chip, base coat and clear coat) so adding an additional coating for certain VINs would wreak havoc in the paint shop. The Tricoat must just mean something about the paint and not the actual process.

Last edited:

gobluetwo

A Regular
IL
Buick Ownership
none
My cars have been white (91 Accord LX), black (93 MR2 Turbo), silver (03 Passat Wagon), and gray (03 I35). Looking forward to an actual color for my next car. Of those available, I prefer darkmoon blue metallic, but agree that it's a bit on the dark side. Opel/Vauxhall have Indigo available and that looks really sharp.

Lee, I spend a lot of time in OEM paint shops and I have never seen a separate process for a different color or quality of paint. I believe they all go through the same line in the same amount of time, but since these cars are painted in Germany it might be different. Pretty common to do 5 layers (e-coat, primer, anti-chip, base coat and clear coat) so to adding an additional coating for certain VINs would wreak havoc in the paint shop. The Tricoat must just mean something about the paint and not the actual process.
Vauxhall describes Tri-Coat as follows. Don't know if that's marketing speak or meaningful in any way. Seems like it does something, though.
Exceptionally resistant, multi-layered lacquer with an additional layer of effect-giving elements for a powerful pearlescent presence.