• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Poor Battered Tour X

JenkkiMike

As far as airbags deployment, I was wondering, if hood start/stop bypass module is doing something with an airbags too?
I honestly had the same thought. I wonder what the threshold is for the airbags to deploy. In this particular situation, I personally believe that the airbags would not have added any additional benefit so perhaps the threshold wasn't met?

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I was t-boned on Saturday morning by a girl who ran a red light. I am working out the insurance stuff still and haven't had an adjuster look at it yet but I was curious what you guys think. Does this damage look repairable or do you think they will just total it?
Glad you're ok! Having bought a salvaged TourX, I am now an expert in what a totaled TourX looks like! ;)
I would guess that's totalled. My totalled TourX was totalled for what was estimated to be $13k of hail damage. So I'm going to guess that anything that gets up to the $10K mark means a totalled car. But I'll be curious to hear the outcome, so keep us posted!

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I was t-boned on Saturday morning by a girl who ran a red light. I am working out the insurance stuff still and haven't had an adjuster look at it yet but I was curious what you guys think. Does this damage look repairable or do you think they will just total it?
Once they salvage that car, could you send me the hood? I need it for my hail damaged car of the same color! J/K (mostly). Actually, if you COULD find out who ends up with the car when all is said and done, assuming they total it, any chance of forwarding on to me their contact information? I assume they'll fix and resell, but if by chance it gets parted out, I'd definitely want the hood!

JenkkiMike

Once they salvage that car, could you send me the hood? I need it for my hail damaged car of the same color! J/K (mostly). Actually, if you COULD find out who ends up with the car when all is said and done, assuming they total it, any chance of forwarding on to me their contact information? I assume they'll fix and resell, but if by chance it gets parted out, I'd definitely want the hood!
Where are you located?

JenkkiMike

The vultures are already circling my car for the scraps. I haven't had it looked at by an adjuster yet so it may end up being repaired still. It's concerning that the parts are so sought after. Are people unable to get replacements from GM?

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
The vultures are already circling my car for the scraps. I haven't had it looked at by an adjuster yet so it may end up being repaired still. It's concerning that the parts are so sought after. Are people unable to get replacements from GM?
I think the availability will be good from GM for a while. Don't they have to keep parts in stock for 10 years by law? And anyone that has full coverage on their car might have a hard time getting the insurance company to cover used parts. I wouldn't say that the parts are that sought after now, some of us can't resist a good deal.

I was reading someplace recently that a broken rear (cargo area) window on a 2000's Saab 9-5 wagon totaled the car, the insurance company wouldn't cover used glass and custom new was prohibitive.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I honestly had the same thought. I wonder what the threshold is for the airbags to deploy. In this particular situation, I personally believe that the airbags would not have added any additional benefit so perhaps the threshold wasn't met?
The thresholds are a tricky thing. 2 vehicles of the same make and model in similar accidents, one will deploy, one won't.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I think the availability will be good from GM for a while. Don't they have to keep parts in stock for 10 years by law? And anyone that has full coverage on their car might have a hard time getting the insurance company to cover used parts. I wouldn't say that the parts are that sought after now, some of us can't resist a good deal.

I was reading someplace recently that a broken rear (cargo area) window on a 2000's Saab 9-5 wagon totaled the car, the insurance company wouldn't cover used glass and custom new was prohibitive.
Ummmm GM workers are on strike right now so it's hard to get replacement parts.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
For myself I'm just trying to avoid painting! There are hoods available, plenty in fact, but I'd have to paint them. Which I still might do, but if I COULD just find a car that had the part I need in the color I need, I'd be a happy camper.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Glad you all survived. Keep an eye on how you're all feeling, hate to say it but sometimes injuries turn up later. My sister has a painful neck issue from a car wreck 20 years ago that took a while to manifest, and she took a very small settlement from the ins co.

I vote for another TourX! But then, I'm biased. Ha. :D

JenkkiMike

The adjuster just took a look at it this morning and estimated $6300 to repair it but wouldn't make a final determination. He wanted me to bring it to a body shop and have them start pulling it apart to see if there is additional damage that they missed. He said depending on where GM recommends that they cut the B-pillar, it may or may not effect the integrity of the roof, in which case he would deem it a total. My impression is that it is right on the cusp and he wrote up an optimistic repair quote but is ready to total it if the body shop starts adding to the estimate.

I really hope that it is totaled at this point so I can buy it back, pay the body shop directly to repair and keep it with a salvage title. If they do the repairs I get he same result but the value is diminished and my state doesn't recognize claims on that. If it gets totaled the loan gets paid off in full and I get my car free and clear for the cost of repairs. It's not going to be worth much for resale either way so if I am keeping it long term, I'd prefer to at least not owe anything on it still.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
The adjuster just took a look at it this morning and estimated $6300 to repair it but wouldn't make a final determination. He wanted me to bring it to a body shop and have them start pulling it apart to see if there is additional damage that they missed. He said depending on where GM recommends that they cut the B-pillar, it may or may not effect the integrity of the roof, in which case he would deem it a total. My impression is that it is right on the cusp and he wrote up an optimistic repair quote but is ready to total it if the body shop starts adding to the estimate.

I really hope that it is totaled at this point so I can buy it back, pay the body shop directly to repair and keep it with a salvage title. If they do the repairs I get he same result but the value is diminished and my state doesn't recognize claims on that. If it gets totaled the loan gets paid off in full and I get my car free and clear for the cost of repairs. It's not going to be worth much for resale either way so if I am keeping it long term, I'd prefer to at least not owe anything on it still.
That's a good plan. Good luck. Thanks for the follow up.

I am totally surprised at only $6300. I would say the doors and paint alone would be $5500, I wonder what the adjuster planned on keeping from the original doors...

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
That's a good plan. Good luck. Thanks for the follow up.

I am totally surprised at only $6300. I would say the doors and paint alone would be $5500, I wonder what the adjuster planned on keeping from the original doors...
You seem to be thinking with your head, not your heart. Good.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX

If your state doesn't allow for diminished value....I would likewise cross my fingers for a total loss. If you ever had to sell--it is a lot harder to sell a car in an accident, so much more trouble. In addition I had a claim years ago and that car just never was the same. No matter what the repair shop did, I could tell it had been in an accident--there are just so many issues that can be hidden. To me there is no way insurance can compensate you for time/aggravation of having to get it fixed. Just my .02c..

Good luck!

Nate

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The adjuster just took a look at it this morning and estimated $6300 to repair it but wouldn't make a final determination. He wanted me to bring it to a body shop and have them start pulling it apart to see if there is additional damage that they missed.
I have never had work in a body shop done that wasn't dramatically more than the initial estimate. I think that this is for a couple of reasons:
1. there is really no way to know how much damage is really done until you pull the car apart
2. if your car is paid off and you want to just pocket the money, it will not be financially worth it as the value of your car will be reduced by even more.

Pedal Commander