Possible Piston failure

Buickmike

Buick Ownership
14 regal turbo
I'm sorry to report nothing but bad news when it comes to my 2014 Buick Regal Turbo. I've owned Gm vehicles only my entire life and have had great reliability until this car. I wanted a vehicle GM vehicle the was elegant and sporty so I bought this regal from dealer used with 49000 miles on it. Had to have high pressure fuel pump replacement because engine was excessively loud and that quieted down a bit but now car has 55000 I was driving home from running errands and car started to shake and check engine started flashing with smoke coming from rear of vehicle I was close to house so it's pared now. I'm very good with maintenance on my vehicle it has already had 2 dealer oil changes since I owned it now this. Will have to get it towed to Buick dealer but from these threads I fear it's piston failure.

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS AWD
I am around 52000 miles in my 2014 GS, so I am also semi-weary of piston failure. The car has been great mechanically for me (my only complaint is rattles and creaks in the car. I have fixed some of them).

My only real consolation is that I have seen posts of people getting new engines entirely due to piston failure. Good luck!

Buickmike

Buick Ownership
14 regal turbo
I am around 52000 miles in my 2014 GS, so I am also semi-weary of piston failure. The car has been great mechanically for me (my only complaint is rattles and creaks in the car. I have fixed some of them).

My only real consolation is that I have seen posts of people getting new engines entirely due to piston failure. Good luck!
Thanks I appreciate it, going to have it towed to dealershipI service it at.

JONNYESS

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yep. I paid $4400 in 2017 for complete rebuild...GM subsidized only about $2300 because vehicle was titled in late 2011. I repeatedly questioned their not standing behind a $40K piece of machinery, warranty protocols aside. You can see how that went. Mechanics never could pinpoint the exact causation, there was so much bad going on in there by the time they did the deep dive....

Buickmike

Buick Ownership
14 regal turbo
Yep. I paid $4400 in 2017 for complete rebuild...GM subsidized only about $2300 because vehicle was titled in late 2011. I repeatedly questioned their not standing behind a $40K piece of machinery, warranty protocols aside. You can see how that went. Mechanics never could pinpoint the exact causation, there was so much bad going on in there by the time they did the deep dive....
That stinks, I think they should of caught issue earlier. I'm going to tell dealer I want a compression check as well as a bore scope visual check of top of pistons for damage. I will contact GM by phone if needed.

JONNYESS

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick
That stinks, I think they should of caught issue earlier. I'm going to tell dealer I want a compression check as well as a bore scope visual check of top of pistons for damage. I will contact GM by phone if needed.
I'm sure by the time I got all the CEL codes (cylinder misfire; throttle body; emissions) and the loss of power the damage had been done. The dealer did state that the pistons were a KNOWN PROBLEM however when they called GM home office for mechanical support during the repair.

No recall or TSB was ever issued, likely because of the enormous $$ hit GM wouldve endured. They choose to take their chances on the cars like mine that actually do suffer the consequences of their substandard engineering.

jkreisel

Buick Ownership
Regal
Just brought my 2014 Regal in for new pistons/rings. Lost about a liter of oil and the engine overheated. No warning lights other than low oil.
Still under warranty but that still does not make me feel any better about the issue.
Who knows what else they will find once the engine is apart.
This car only has 48K kilometers on it.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Pistons, outsourced from China eventually fail, sooner than later! You need forged TRW pistons to survive the stress of turbo boost., but the block will have to be honed to accept forged pistons. If you have boost/tune, the pistons will eventually fail. Dealers will only replace with OEM parts! That is all the know how, or allowed to do!

Last edited:

Buickmike

Buick Ownership
14 regal turbo
Just got my car back from dealer and turns out it was a bad coil thank god. I asked them to do a compression test because I'm concerned about the piston ring failure but they said it shouldn't be issue. I will take it to another dealer if need be to get done while it's still under warranty.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Just got my car back from dealer and turns out it was a bad coil thank god. I asked them to do a compression test because I'm concerned about the piston ring failure but they said it shouldn't be issue. I will take it to another dealer if need be to get done while it's still under warranty.
Glad to hear it was only a coil but a dealer isnt going to do a compression test for free and GM wont pay the dealer unless there is a issue with the running of the vehicle and is part of the diagnosis check list for a code such as a P0300.

Buickmike

Buick Ownership
14 regal turbo
Glad to hear it was only a coil but a dealer isnt going to do a compression test for free and GM wont pay the dealer unless there is a issue with the running of the vehicle and is part of the diagnosis check list for a code such as a P0300.
I'm going to pay to have it done because if there is an issue will save big money down road because still under warranty now.

Buick Ownership
Buick
My original suspicion was also a cracked coil. I had my local mechanic take a look...no cracks, but compression was about 25 in cylinder1. Then I got local dealer involved, not knowing the car was off warranty due to year titled. (Dealer was closing in 4 days but agreed to take a look) Two fuel injectors were replaced, and when I picked the car up they said..."oh...that white smoke from the exchaust? MIGHT be indicative of cracked pistons..." It was then recommended I take the car to another dealer for deeper dive, especially when new codes showed the next day (emission/throttle body). $4400 later....I'm good as 'new'*.

*Whatever that is

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
LTG engines have this issue, LHU, what you have, do not.

If you have a 2.4, not exactly known for greatness.

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you have a 2.4, not exactly known for greatness.

Head mechanic purportedly consulted with GM tech support during early stages of this nightmare, subsequently told me there are "known issues w these pistons cracking..."

Then they handed me the keys and a boot in the butt, took $900 for replacing 2 fuel injectors and suggested I take it to another dealer (that was actually staying in business) for a "deep dive"....

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I'm sure by the time I got all the CEL codes (cylinder misfire; throttle body; emissions) and the loss of power the damage had been done. The dealer did state that the pistons were a KNOWN PROBLEM however when they called GM home office for mechanical support during the repair.

No recall or TSB was ever issued, likely because of the enormous $$ hit GM wouldve endured. They choose to take their chances on the cars like mine that actually do suffer the consequences of their substandard engineering.
So sad, to here you had to go through this nightmare & expense!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.