Postcard from OnStar

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
"We're having a hard time reaching you at the email address you provided. Update your email address so you won't miss out on everything Buick and OnStar have to offer."

"Once you update your email address, you'll be able to:
Take advantage of special offers
Get tips to maximize your experience
Learn about your plan"

They should already have my email address, as it has not changed. Based on the above, I'm having difficulty generating any enthusiasm to look into the "problem".

The dealership also called yesterday to see if I was ready for my second oil change. I told them I have fewer than 5,000 miles on the Encore because I can't go anywhere (due to the COVID-19 restrictions).

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I would never bring my Encore to the dealer for an oil change, I don't trust them. They seem to always try to up-sell ($120 for an air filter and a cabin filter, I think not, I can change my own filters for $20 ) and they never do anything right. Plus you never know if they put synthetic in it or not or even the right oil filter for that matter.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
Prior to my 2014 Tacoma, which came with a number of free oil changes, I changed my own oil and rotated my tires. With Ford subcompact wagons, you could lift the entire side of the vehicle with one jack at the front jack location. Even so, torquing 16 lug nuts made for a sore back. With the Tacoma having 6 lug nuts per wheel, I decided to just keep going to the dealer after the free oil changes ended. When I bring the Encore in to the dealer for an oil change at 6000 miles, I'll buy the windshield wiper inserts or blades and cabin filter, and do that myself.

They did offer some kind of treatment at the first service (I was confused; are you talking about a can of STP, or a can of fuel additive, I thought to myself), but I said No Thanks. While I was waiting in the customer lounge, the smell of an over-rich exhaust would periodically drift in from the garage. I thought that pouring fuel additive directly into the engine ended with the carburetor.

Edit: Corrected bad math.

Last edited:

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
The dealer was probably talking about what’s referred to as a top engine cleaner, to decarbon the intake manifold, head passages, and valves.

These cleaners are administered into the intake system *after* the throttle body, by using a port somewhere on the manifold.

Some engine designs carbon up faster than others, but doing primarily city driving will carbon up an engine faster than highway driving.

Some shops will take a borescope video of your intake to show you the extent of the carbon deposits. Doing this treatment will generally result in smoother idle, more power, and better gas mileage.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
mshultz, what amount of time has passed since the last oil change?
If one year, you are due even if only 5k miles.

mshultz

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore Essence AWD
mshultz, what amount of time has passed since the last oil change?
If one year, you are due even if only 5k miles.

First oil change was February 2020 at 1925 miles. I bought the Encore June 2019.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!