• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Potential Buyer with questions/concerns

cloudvt

Buick Ownership
looking at a tour
Hello all,

I have an offer for 2019 Regal TourX, Essence trim with Sights/Sounds, Diver Confidence packages 1&2. Offer on the table is $31,000. I usually keep cars for 8 years. I put about 20k a year on my cars. I am moving from a 5 cylinder Jetta Wagon that has been trouble-free. I need a bigger wagon.

Here are my questions:
1. Do you think this is a good offer?
2. I've looked over the forums and see general concerns about the LTG engine/pistons. Is this still a concern on the 19's? Do I have to run high octane fuel in the car?
3. Has anyone moved the foot sensor for the lift gate when they installed a hitch (for a bike rack, not to tow).
4. Has anyone had issues with the moonroof leaking into the wheel well? This happened in my VW when the drains clogged.
5. Any concerns with a doughnut and AWD? What exact size spare did you use (I saw something about a LeSabre spare?)

Thanks and I look forward to your input. I really want a large wagon. V90 too expensive. V60 too small. Outback is a crossover. Buick is an actual wagon!

My last/only GM product was a 1994 SAAB 900 with a V6. It held up welI. I really want to love the Regal wagon, just am hesitant about long term quality. Thanks!

ntorch

Blandon, PA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
1. Your offer--$10k off a 2019 is pretty good, I know you can do that on a 2018, but hadn't heard they do that on the 2019's yet.
2. Early on I asked about this engine and I'm not worried about it.
3. Foot sensor, I haven't tried to move mine, but I don't see why it wouldn't work
4. No leaks from moon roof in driving rain at all.
5. Search for spare tire in this forum, someone has the specs. I haven't done it yet, but I do have a plug kit with the woofer. NO AWD issues.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
1. Your offer--$10k off a 2019 is pretty good, I know you can do that on a 2018, but hadn't heard they do that on the 2019's yet.
2. Early on I asked about this engine and I'm not worried about it.
3. Foot sensor, I haven't tried to move mine, but I don't see why it wouldn't work
4. No leaks from moon roof in driving rain at all.
5. Search for spare tire in this forum, someone has the specs. I haven't done it yet, but I do have a plug kit with the woofer. NO AWD issues.
Just buy it. Take a long test drive first, & check out all the features to make sure they work. Most Regals are ok, but there are a very few electronic lemmons been reported. Nice car.
1. Good for 2019. There are a few 2018.5 out there for up to $13K off if you are willing to have car shipped, for 2019, that is good price.

cloudvt

Buick Ownership
looking at a tour
Took the long test drive. Liked it.

Just buy it.
Consumer Reports gave it a 3/5 for expected reliability. Come here and found the mention of pistons. I am not a “just buy it kind of guy”. I am more of the drag my feet, get paralysis of analyisis from online research kinda guy. Thanks for the input.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
No one agonizes over a purchase more than me... Before and after!

The negatives which are all mentioned in this forum and are all accurate, are FAR AND AWAY outweighed by the positives.
(quirky infotainment, thin sun shade for sun roof, short on storage cubbies, no extension on sun visor, no sunglass holder with sun roof, auto stop, average all season tires, no spare)

At that price this car is still a buy 6 days a week and twice on Sundays.

What color combo are you buying?

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
It's my understanding that Sights and Sounds replaces the spare tire with a sub-woofer, compressor, and can of sealant.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Took the long test drive. Liked it.

Consumer Reports gave it a 3/5 for expected reliability. Come here and found the mention of pistons. I am not a “just buy it kind of guy”. I am more of the drag my feet, get paralysis of analyisis from online research kinda guy. Thanks for the input.
The carbon on the piston ring lands was from 2013 when LTG was introduced. LSP was the result that caused some damage.

There was a ecu update, Dexos oil update, and new sparkplugs. The sparkplugs are the same one used in our 2016 Envision 2.0T and in the 2018 TourX. This 2.0T is used in a half dozen or so GM models so it has been well tested in a number of different sedans, a coupe, and many SUVs that see allot of different operating environments.

Attachments

cloudvt

Buick Ownership
looking at a tour
It's my understanding that Sights and Sounds replaces the spare tire with a sub-woofer, compressor, and can of sealant.
I was wondering if anyone has both a spare and a sub. I did not know if using a spare causes issues with the AWD. I know it can in Subaru’s.

cloudvt

Buick Ownership
looking at a tour
The carbon on the piston ring lands was from 2013 when LTG was introduced. LSP was the result that caused some damage.

There was a ecu update, Dexos oil update, and new sparkplugs. The sparkplugs are the same one used in our 2016 Envision 2.0T and in the 2018 TourX. This 2.0T is used in a half dozen or so GM models so it has been well tested in a number of different sedans, a coupe, and many SUVs that see allot of different operating environments.
So, is high octane gas necessary? I saw mention that owners were using high octane gas to stave off piston issues.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
So, is high octane gas necessary? I saw mention that owners were using high octane gas to stave off piston issues.
There is no piston issue related to octane on the TourX 2.0T. Most of us run whatever with lower grade like 87 octane and no issues. You will still make 298 lb-ft of torque(not a typo from 295) and 316 lb-ft torque in overboost on lower octane.

Premium is recommended but not required.

cloudvt

Buick Ownership
looking at a tour
Thanks for the info! Exactly what I needed to know.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I assume someone mentioned that it appears spare tire is not included no matter if subwoofer equipped or not.
There was some other threads about adding temporary spares.

bespinct

Buick Ownership
TourX
Whether to identify and use a spare tire solution is up to you. How risk averse are you? Me, the included goop and compressor is enough. Buick Roadside and AAA can help out if there's damage the the goop doesn't address.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Exactly. So, is a spare tire not recommended with the AWD system?
With this, all those clutches, I'd just get a Triple A membership! Spare is probably OK for a real short drive.

Maybe you can check the Ford Focus RS forum, RS uses same hardware.
Twinster AWD System (England)

GKN’s Twinster provides intelligent all-wheel drive torque vectoring for new Opel Insignia

About GKN Driveline | GKN Driveline | Our Division | GKN Group

https://www.gkn.com/en/our-technology/2016/twinster/

Attachments

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Welcome to the forum. I also tend to keep my cars for a decade or more, so I approached this purchase carefully as well.

1. Yeah $31k for those packages on either an '18 or '19 (especially a '19) is actually a GREAT offer imo

2. See Norm's post; I'll add that Buick is #1 auto brand in Customer Service JD Power survey. This is my first new GM purchase ever (at 49), and I'm confident if any issues arise that GM will quickly take care of them — i.e., they quickly owned the lower control arms issue. My speed limit signs not displaying was also taken care of quickly.

3. Foot sensor: I haven't looked under the car for this, so just a guess but you may need more wire (?), a few zipties and a little MacGuyvering, but I also don't see an issue with moving this

4. Moonroof - I really love that roof but had same concern as you — my '07 Acura roof channels clogged with tree droppings over several years (I don't park my DD in garage) and ended up with issues from that. NOT saying TourX will do that. Also in my case: I don't like the sun turning my car into a Tandoori oven in my full-sun exposed driveway via that gorgeous pano roof. So I opted out of that one. Maybe a 15% tint ceramic would severely limit the heat factor? Will be interesting to see what forum owners report.

5. My AWD has been unflappable in snow (not sure if that's what you were asking). Spare: haven't had occasion to use one in 20+ years but Murphy's Law...so yeah I'm gonna get one. Not worried about it affecting AWD as it would only be used for the time it takes me to get to a tire store/dealer. I've read here that you can easily fit a donut and tire tools underneath where the Bose lives. May have to remove styrofoam.

I shopped same vehicles as you and TourX won hands-down. Still totally digging mine after about 1800 miles and a few decent road trips. It's just a pleasure to own and drive. I will assume it stays that way!

Also love that they aren't on every corner or any corner for that matter...get yours in the config you want while you can. They'll probably kill it off after '19 or '20 at latest.

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
The foot ‘kick’ sensor can be moved when a hitch is installed. There is already enough wire and a mounting provision for it. There is a thread here of someone that tackled this already, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment...

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
. There is a thread here of someone that tackled this already, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment...
Hopefully I've attached the link correctly below for the other thread:

Pedal Commander